Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 14:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-AMG to scale back model range; will also diverge in design from non-AMG models

Mercedes-AMG could soon reduce the number of models in its range. According to a media report, the company will concentrate on the high-end models while scaling back its efforts on the more entry-level offerings.

Mercedes-AMG to scale back model range; will also diverge in design from non-AMG models-mercedesamggt63seperformance-1.jpg

The company's new boss Philipp Schiemer, is said to have stated that the AMG model range will "decrease a slight bit" while keeping it in line with the industry-wide electrification trends.

Apart from reducing the number of models in the range, reports also suggested that the AMG models could diverge their design away from the regular (non-AMG) models in the range. The new design for the AMG models could incorporate more sophisticated aerodynamics and make use of other cutting edge technologies as well.

Mercedes-AMG to scale back model range; will also diverge in design from non-AMG models-mercedesamgeqs53-1.jpg

Scheimer also stated that the AMG models will make use of advanced chassis software to compensate for the weight gain when adding batteries. However, Scheimer feels that with the advancement of rapid charging infrastructure, customers will accept AMG cars with smaller and lighter batteries, which will also aid performance.

Source: Autocar UK

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 9th September 2021 at 14:33.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 13:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-AMG to scale back model range; will also diverge in design from non-AMG models

Good to see some sense prevailing at long last.
Mercedes have only themselves to blame for degrading their once-hallowed AMG brand by putting an AMG badge on every garden variety Mercedes Benz.
Same for BMW trashing its hallowed M badge with body-kitted M-Line in every model.
The average punter has no way of knowing what is a genuine fire-breathing AMG / M and what is a docile small 4 cylinder NA petrol / diesel with the same body-kit & wheels.

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 12th September 2021 at 13:46.
LTAutoMad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 04:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-AMG to scale back model range; will also diverge in design from non-AMG models

Danke Gott im Himmel (yes, I know it's wrong).

I've gotten tired of everyone thinking they have an AMG just because their dad ticked the options list or got upsold a discounted variant three weeks before Christmas. I've actually been told 'my AMG feels like' and it's becoming increasingly difficult to not let out a rogue giggle.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 07:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good riddance! These fake AMG models (43, 53, 35) need to disappear.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 04:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Good riddance! These fake AMG models (43, 53, 35) need to disappear.
Haha, I wouldn't be that cruel! The 43s and 53s are AMG-lite, like the M340i or M550i. All of those are extremely competent cars, with the only difference being that MB has decided the n-1 rung will not get V8s, unlike BMW. The 43s and 53s are certainly built with sufficient input from AMGs, and in fact the GT 43 and 53 are AMG-only cars.

I'm referring to the regular old Cs and Es which get a random upgrade kit from the dealership, or an MB-launched 'AMG Line', and suddenly everyone who buys one thinks they're Schumacher's third coming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks