Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th November 2021, 11:00   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta

It looks good in black colour. If it comes to India, I am sure it will undergo some design changes. A six speed auto GB can pull some numbers easily.

One thing is sure, it can not be a worthy competitor to segment leaders(Korean twins).
Old 26th November 2021, 11:04   #137
Senior - BHPian

Interiors seemed dated especially the steering. What stops them from designing a new steering wheel. Bit dissapointed on the overal interior, it could have been better. Competitors interiors feel more luxurious and inviting. At that price point, Once launched in India the consumer will expect more.

I hope it retains the all wheel disc brakes. Is the tranny the AGS AMT type or CVT/Torque converter type? Overall good but they could have done a better job with the insides where one will spend most of his/her time with the car.

Once the new Brezza comes one can decide which is the better product. I do not expect current level pricing for the S-cross once launched. They are bound to hawk it as a luxury product a genre where Maruti has so far not succeeded. I hope they price it well.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 26th November 2021 at 11:08.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:07   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddyhere View Post
---

One thing is sure, it can not be a worthy competitor to segment leaders(Korean twins).
Competition to the Korean twins will be the SUV being jointly developed by Maruti Suzuki and Toyota.

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th November 2021 at 11:10.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:17   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Part sharing amongst models is common across many manufacturers. What is stupid on part of Suzuki is using the same steering wheel when they already have a flat bottom steering wheel available in their inventory and is in use in XL6, Dzire and the upcoming Brezza.

Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta-fb_img_1637343794598.jpg
Source (Scoop! New Maruti Vitara Brezza coming in Q3 2021)
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:57   #140
Senior - BHPian

S-Cross is one of the safest car Maruti has on offer here in India. A facelift like this can do wonders. I also read somewhere the boot space is bigger too at 430lt.

However it is not perfect still. That steering looks a decade old. Maruti offers better steering in hatchbacks

If they manage a decent AT box along with sun-roof, it can surely pose a serious thread to Creata/Seltos.
Old 26th November 2021, 12:01   #141
BHPian

Really glad to see an updated S Cross.
As an S Cross owner, I feel this car is very underrated for what it provides.
A spacious family car with good economy and driving dynamics. I am not an enthusiast, but this car meets my needs.
If the new S Cross improves on the current S Cross, it's a welcome.
Old 26th November 2021, 12:08   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Love the interior changes, specially because the dash looks like it gets soft touch plastics on the top

Looks though, I neither like it nor dislike it. It is extremely neutral, and at some places, overdone.

In comparison, previously facelifted Scross is the best looking S Cross, in my humble opinion.

Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta-20211010_064245.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th November 2021 at 12:11.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 12:23   #143
KPR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
In comparison, previously facelifted Scross is the best looking S Cross, in my humble opinion.

Attachment 2237553
+1. Comparison image is here and I still love the way current model looks in Alpha variant in dark grey colour. New one looks like brother of XL6 which isn't bad but not great either.

Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta-7.jpg
KPR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 12:49   #144
Senior - BHPian

New S-cross looks great for sure. I think Maruti should bring it in India ASAP so that they can earn big chunk from Hyundai and Kia. Currently Hyundai and Kia enjoying lot of success with Creta and Seltos as they don't have proper competitor in 15-20 Lakh SUV segment. It looks similar to XL6 but this one surely looks more mature than current generation. Rear is way better than current generation. Price is lower than Creta, Seltos combo and Maruti has one more winner in hand.

Last edited by aniketi : 26th November 2021 at 12:50.
Old 26th November 2021, 13:23   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

This one looks smart, contemporary & yet - unlike the other ones from competition, does not appear overdone or blingy! It has somewhat retained its traditional understated look (except perhaps the tail lamps) - and I'm thanking god for that!

If it does bring the features that are visible in the images to the Indian market, with a good gearbox (with paddle shifts etc) - I wouldn't hesitate in paying upwards of 20L for it at all (with a good powertrain i.e.). This car, combined with Maruti's unmatchable spares availability and mod-friendly nature, would be the car to beat! With the AllGrip and good AT - this can be the illusive "perfect" compact SUV that our market lacks desperately.

The car is reusing a lot of decade-old parts in the cabin. Many will frown at this; but I won't. I don't mind the "why fix what is not broken?" philosophy. The parts have stood the test of time, don't have any shortcomings and are absolutely fine at their job. "New" just for the sake of looks without any utility gains - is not an idea I subscribe to, especially considering the looks come at a premium, that is typically not justified.

I believe this can be a very good jumping board for a future EV as well. Bring it on Maruti please!

Similar feelings here. I wouldnt mind paying 18-20L ex-showroom for an AWD + Pano sunroof + 360 camera car (without major feed-lag) with that turbo engine. I'd prefer a bit more ground clearance (~200mm unladen please?) than the 180mm unladen in the current Indian model (and preferably no hybrid tech to keep costs lower and not have to worry about Li battery replacement in the long run - the strong hybrid uses Li-Ion battery right?) but other than that I'd definitely be interested.

I mean, what other car offers that set of features at all in that price bracket? The closest is the XUV 700 AX7 L Diesel which is about 29L OTR Bangalore with the automatic gearbox and potentially the next-gen Tucson but I'd bet it'd be even more expensive than the XUV 700. None of the Astor/Creta/Seltos/Duster/Hector/Kushaq/Taigun offer AWD today.

But I'm pretty sure atleast the AWD will be gone if this ever makes it to India. And there goes my interest in the vehicle. :(
Transmission is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 13:42   #146
BHPian

While I don't like the chrome strip at the back much, I quite like the overall design which seems to be a notch above the previous one, as I found that too bland and neutral. Hope the new car retains the good things of the outgoing version, especially the engine and the 4 star safety rating in the made for India vehicle. It will be a pity if this one also goes the tin can way which has been the case with most of Maruti's recent cars.

Last edited by Neversaygbye : 26th November 2021 at 13:43.
Old 26th November 2021, 14:05   #147
BHPian

Imagine AllGrip and paddle shifters together. What a joy it would be. But just like Tata, AWD is a taboo word in Maruti's dictionary
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 15:06   #148

Side profile resembles a bit like Jeep Compass. Overall design looks sharper than its earlier avatar. However, Maruti-Suzuki needs to do A LOT in terms of upgrading interiors, useful features and most importantly 4/5 star NCAP rating.
I hope they will get it right this time for their flagship product in India.
Old 26th November 2021, 15:13   #149
BHPian

I would say, I like the design. but I had to look twice at the logo to confirm it as a Suzuki, for me it looks more like a Mitsubishi. The front is muscular and serious looking for me while the tail section seem to be overdone for my liking. Wish it had a faster petrol option like the Creta, Seltos and Kushaq.
Old 26th November 2021, 15:41   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

How about a S -Cross sport ? Now shown as a rendering!

Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta-260227578_439512250869284_4527051688497664518_n.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th November 2021 at 15:42.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed