Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 15:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta

Suzuki is all set to take the wraps off the next-generation S-Cross very soon. According to a media report, the new-gen Suzuki S-Cross will have its global unveil sometime by the end of this month, with sales expected to begin sometime early next year.

Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta-marutiscross.jpeg

While no details of the updated model have been revealed yet, the new-gen S-Cross is assumed to carry forward a similar silhouette as the current model. However, Suzuki could introduce a number of significant changes to the front and rear design, including a new grille and LED headlamps, redesigned alloy wheels and a new set of LED taillights.

Reports suggest that the new-gen Suzuki S-Cross will come with the brand's new light hybrid technology (MHEV). The 2022 Suzuki S-Cross will get an updated 1.5-litre petrol engine with a 48V mild-hybrid system, improving performance and efficiency.

The engine on the new-gen crossover could be paired with either a new 6-speed manual gearbox or an automatic transmission. Suzuki could also introduce its AllGrip 4x4 drive system on the 2022 S-Cross

Source: MotorES

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 18:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta

I guess MSIL read GTO's rant about them and have decided to come out with all guns blazing. :P

Jokes apart, I would really love if they bring in a turbo petrol along with 4x4. Of course their 1.5 DDiS and Jimny India launch is just my wishful thinking.

Last edited by vb-saan : 12th November 2021 at 17:19. Reason: typo
Kumaran93R is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 18:05   #3
sbm
BHPian

I read in another report regarding the next gen S cross that Suzuki is most likely to retain the crossover design of the S- cross. We all know that the weakest point of this car is its looks. An average CSUV buyer craves for a boxy design rather than a raised hatch design. I hope they bring in something on the lines of Vitara.
sbm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:10   #4
BHPian

Any chances of getting the 1.4 turbo engine, at least as an option? S-cross definitely deserves better compared to 1.5 NA. It would do well for Maruti to remember that competition offers NA, turbo, as well as diesel options.
PranavDesai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:23   #5

Good news indeed. I took a test drive few days back and was impressed with S-Cross's engine performance and overall stability. However, the sales figures are low for this excellent car primarily for looks and weird feature distribution. If the new version introduces LED headlamps in lower versions as well, and also the rear AC vents - I am sure more people will be interested in this car. On the look front, I don't find the current look very boring or dated. But I understand that many people doesn't like its "less-aggressive" presence on the road.
sauravd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
I read in another report regarding the next gen S cross that Suzuki is most likely to retain the crossover design of the S- cross. We all know that the weakest point of this car is its looks. An average CSUV buyer craves for a boxy design rather than a raised hatch design. I hope they bring in something on the lines of Vitara.
Beg to differ. S Cross design actually looks better than the present Gen Creta. It's weakest point is lack of useful features and no good auto gearbox.
DonHyd is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Suzuki is all set to take the wraps off the next-generation S-Cross very soon. According to a media report, the new-gen Suzuki S-Cross will have its global unveil sometime by the end of this month, with sales expected to begin sometime early next year.
However, Suzuki could introduce a number of significant changes to the front and rear design, including a new grille and LED headlamps, redesigned alloy wheels and a new set of LED taillights.

Reports suggest that the new-gen Suzuki S-Cross will come with the brand's new light hybrid technology (MHEV). The 2022 Suzuki S-Cross will get an updated 1.5-litre petrol engine with a 48V mild-hybrid system, improving performance and efficiency.

The engine on the new-gen crossover could be paired with either a new 6-speed manual gearbox or an automatic transmission. Suzuki could also introduce its AllGrip 4x4 drive system on the 2022 S-Cross

Source: MotorES

Link to Team-BHP news
Lets hope its going to be a real refresh of the interiors, they do look very outdated now.

Also since Maruti is not coming with a diesel mill, I do hope that the hybrid tech allows a higher average, because most of these 1.5 L petrol engines are not giving more than 9-10kmpl in the city, which is becoming frightfully expensive for most typical Maruti customers. At the very least, they ought to offer a CNG option on the S Cross, since it has the required space to accommodate the tank without adversely impacting the luggage space. That would lead to a real differentiation between the other products in this segment, and hopefully will give the much required sales.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki just needs to provide SCross with a proper automatic and sunroof for it to take on Creta. If they bring in the AWD, they can steal a big percentage of Creta sales. But if we go by their history so far, AWD is very unlikely. They will be happy with giving the CVT from Baleno or a 6-speed Torque convertor and getting a decent pie from the Creta/Seltos petrol sales.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 21:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
If they bring in the AWD, they can steal a big percentage of Creta sales.
I don't think most of the Creta buyers bother about AWD. There will be good number of buyers who don't even know much about AWD (and they don't need one). To beat Creta, S-Cross needs to grow in height, pack with all latest features, offer multiple engine and transmission options (which should include turbo petrol and proper modern automatic)
Guna is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 21:59   #10
BHPian

Do we know if the 6 speed TC is only for the Turbo petrol?
Old 3rd November 2021, 22:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
To beat Creta, S-Cross needs to grow in height, pack with all latest features, offer multiple engine and transmission options (which should include turbo petrol and proper modern automatic)
Suzuki can do better by including safety features like curtain & side airbags, TCS, ESP, Dash Cam etc., and also retaining the existing USPs like Reclining Rear Seat, Rear Disc Brakes.

By the way, if this is launching in India, will it not be overlapping the C-SUV being jointly developed by Maruti Suzuki and Toyota?
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 22:37   #12
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Beg to differ. S Cross design actually looks better than the present Gen Creta. It's weakest point is lack of useful features and no good auto gearbox.
Well, I should've added the disclaimer that looks are subjective. Another thing to add is a 6 speed manual transmission. Most cars in this segment have 6 speeders except the Astor.
sbm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
I guess MSIL read GTO's rant about them and have decided to come out with all funs blazing. :P

Jokes apart, I would really love if they bring in a turbo petrol along with 4x4. Of course their 1.5 DDiS and Jimny India launch is just my wishful thinking.
Yeah, seems like the Kumbhkaran woke up from eternal sleep. Its been posted here already - FIAT/FORD and other companies packing their bags and look at KIA. Just Sonet and Seltos have made them winners or champions rather.
For Maruti it is Hometurf and they can use it to their advantage.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 07:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Revealing the New S Cross soon:

Next-gen Suzuki S-Cross to debut soon; to rival Hyundai Creta-savethedate.jpg

Another thread running on the same topic:

Link (Rumour: Maruti working on next-gen S-Cross, codenamed YFG)
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 09:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

European S-Cross had 6-speed manual (on 1.4 Boosterjet and 1.6 diesel) and Allgrip atleast 1 or 2 generations back. What is new in that?

I won't even daydream, the above would ever hit our shores, especially after the poor reception it got for 1.6 at launch.

I believe the 1.0 turbo was replaced by the K15B in the lower variants.

So all the fuss about next generation is only about this quoted section then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravd View Post
However, the sales figures are low for this excellent car primarily for looks and weird feature distribution. If the new version introduces LED headlamps in lower versions as well, and also the rear AC vents - I am sure more people will be interested in this car.
The sales figures are poor because it was a launch disaster. And our market is never kind to them. They never recover to do a full turnaround.

Less said about the Alpha LEDs, so I won't sweat over it.

Also rear AC vents are a cost cutting measure, since it will only be a blower with a much less powerful AC compressor. The current AC is good enough even after 3 years of usage, and am from the hot and humid city entire country complains of.

Last edited by narayans80 : 4th November 2021 at 09:41.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks