Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2021, 18:20   #1
BHPian

Cars for big kids

These cars are taking off in Norway. The Casalini, Ligier and the Microcar. The Casalini is Italian and the other 2 are French.

They have 4 disc brakes. Maximum speed is 45 km/hour.

These moped cars can be driven by kids of at least 16 years of age. They need to take a safety course and 12 hours of training at a driving school. There is only a theory test to pass to get a drivers licence.

I see many of these outside schools and obviously very popular.

Prices start at 18,000 euros and there is a comfort pack with aircon, brake booster and servo steering as optional extras. The engine is common on all 3 brands. They use the Lombardini 492 cc common rail diesel with 9 HP.

How I wish I had these possibilites when I was 16.

Cars for big kids-6b9d43425ef943aeaa49c2c5fa0ea37b.jpeg

Cars for big kids-3f3f3d36de1441f3ae5a07c195fe340b.jpeg

Cars for big kids-e8058b95d7bf4038bff5daebd001d6b4.jpeg

Cars for big kids-99d226f25b72453c9093b46d11a2f190.jpeg

Cars for big kids-fbc53a51702c4a6f9166be17d2da7762.jpeg

Cars for big kids-07137ff4074d42678efc85ac64143d8d.jpeg

There are also cargo versions.
Cars for big kids-c5b08df52a864a52bf00d9c83e3344b3.jpeg

Cars for big kids-f7bd0a079d174ea1bdf57424bf62b75a.jpeg

Cars for big kids-abe0ee95968b4bf89a67df46dc900a6b.jpeg

Last edited by Indian2003 : 20th December 2021 at 18:32.
Indian2003 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 19:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Cars for big kids

I believe they're homologated as quadricycles?

While a good idea for teenagers to learn driving on private property, I would not be comfortable driving these on a high-traffic public road. They don't have to go through most of the type approval cars do and hence can skip over most regulations.

Euro NCAP crash-tested these in 2014 and 2016 under (relatively) very simple full-width 50km/h front full-width and side deformable barrier tests (while also noting their limited top speed but claiming the tests could represent crashes with other vehicles), and the results were not pretty. They didn't even directly cap the star rating to indicate poorly protected body regions, but most results were abysmal nevertheless.

I wouldn't normally expect a high level of passive safety from these because they're obviously built to tight weight and cost restrictions, but some of them showed some shocking failures of even basic safety systems like seatbelts.

I'm not sure if the models were the same, but here's a Microcar model that scored one star:

The seatbelt's lower anchorage broke.

Not surprisingly, the passenger compartment became unstable, and though the test vehicle was equipped with an optional driver airbag, the head recorded unstable contact on the airbag and the chest contacted the steering wheel.

A Ligier model scored a straight-up zero:

It didn't have an airbag, but more concerningly, the seatbelt's upper anchorage released from the vehicle structure, the seat failed, the driver submarined, and the passenger compartment became unstable.

Marginally better at two stars was the Renault Twizy, but the test vehicle didn't have the optional, um, doors (which obviously gave it a huge disadvantage in side impact).

I do happen to think the tests were kind of stupid, they even tested a golf cart, but they did serve a purpose - to make sure consumers were aware of what they were getting into.

As much as I respect the work NCAPs do, I personally think this test was plain stupid :

For collecting experimental data, it's fine. But I really don't think it made a difference from the point of view of consumer information. I think most people who would drive a golf cart on a public road, let alone at 50km/h, would know how dangerous it is.

The "safer than a motorbike" holds true, though. But it's important to note that these do not offer the same level of crash protection as cars.

They look very interesting, though, and I find the fact that manufacturers are making them more and more car-like quite whimsical. I do understand why someone would want to buy one of these, and I personally quite like a lot about them, but I think it's just important to know what you're getting into.

I don't mean to scare anyone with this post, as long as you're aware of the limitations it's really fine.

Is the new Citroën Ami as popular as the other two? I find that one comically adorable.

Last edited by ron178 : 20th December 2021 at 19:36.
ron178 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 19:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I believe they're homologated as quadricycles?

The "safer than a motorbike" holds true, though. But it's important to note that these do not offer the same level of crash protection as cars.
An adult with a motorcycle licence can drive this car.
Concerning the crash test, this is not supposed to take the place of the car. These kids used to drive mopeds before and this 4-wheeler is certainly safer.

These cars are taking the place of mopeds and not used for long journeys. They drive to school and back.

There was a used 2018 model in the shop and it had done only 20,000 km. That is about what the mopeds do in 4 years.

A crash test for this car shoulld be compared to mopeds to find out which is safer.

By the way the crash test results of this car can be compared to the results of the Datsun Go or the old Marutis which are used to transport loads of adults and kids in India.
Indian2003 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have been dreaming about when someone will launch a product like the Twizzy here in India. Considering people are ready to pay a lac for an Activa these days, I am sure there would be loads of people out there ready to shell out some good money for a well engineered mini car like the Twizzy (do quadricycles really have to look like the Bajaj Qute?). Also is that the same Ligier that used to compete in Formula 1?
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 16:10   #5
BHPian

I imagine riding on a moped or bike in the winter there is pretty rough, so this kind of vehicle makes a ton of sense. They sort of look like golf carts with roofs to me.
karanddd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 19:20   #6
BHPian

ANYDAY better than riding a bike/moped.

Was wondering if anyone with a budget for these not likely go for a 3-4yr old used entry level car..? But then used car markets are presently bonkers worldover, so this is likely a good time to launch these.

Small cars sizes have historically proven (in the past 1½ decade that I've noticed) to have only 1 advantage & selling point, i.e. city traffic mobility. It'll be interesting to see how the brand promotions will be.

Here, crash safety is only relevant to how much the insurance will cost, especially for a young new driver.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 21st December 2021 at 19:22.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Small fuel efficient and inexpensive cars are needed everywhere, our small Maruti vehicles are a perfect city run about in any country while being very inexpensive to own and run.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Not just as a teen, even now, something like this looks awesome for me. Dream local runabout. Ofcourse, we had the Multix and have models like the Qute, but they are more commercially oriented.

Then again, we are a 2 wheeler nation, and people will buy an Activa instead.

But, the mileage that a 500cc diesel lump would give. The specs all look fine. Hope the Mahindra Atom is available in private plates.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:42   #9
BHPian

If priced correctly and marketed properly, these cars would be a huge hit in urban areas. With heavy flowing traffic and parking issues, even small 5 seater heatchbacks are pain to drive around. Two wheelers are ideal but harsh climatic conditions and pollutions would be a turn off. I have seen few mods where scooters have been modified with canopy in rainy regions.
I believe urban commuters would appreciate the comfort and economy of small commuter four or three wheelers. In rush hours, cars barely cross a speed limit of 40-50 kmph. For people living in suburban areas these small commuter vehicles can be a replacement for Two wheelers. Average two wheelers nowadays cost around 1 to 1.5 lakhs. Pricing these under 4 lakhs would make them an affordable option for those requiring for office commute. Hopefully there is a paradigm shift and Indian consumers are open to these options.
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 13:06   #10
BHPian

Re: Cars for big kids

18,000 Euro for these? When the Polo retails at 17,000 Euro and the Up at 13,000 Euro? How is that possible?!
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
18,000 Euro for these? When the Polo retails at 17,000 Euro and the Up at 13,000 Euro? How is that possible?!
You cannot compare the prices of cars in India and Norway. The base version of the latest Polo starts at 30,000 euros. The UP has been discontinued in Norway and in 2018 the price was 24,000 euros.

They have all sorts of components in taxing cars here. HP tax, weight tax, engine cc tax, environmental tax, AC tax and more and finally slapped with a 25% VAT, even on the taxes . These taxes add 120% on the price of the cars from the factory. Only EVs are not taxed and cheaper than the ICE models. The Renault Twizzy costs 11,000 euros today.

These moped cars costs about 3X the price of a moped.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 22nd December 2021 at 16:27.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
You cannot compare the prices of cars in India and Norway. The base version of the latest Polo starts at 30,000 euros. The UP has been discontinued in Norway and in 2018 the price was 24,000 euros.

They have all sorts of components in taxing cars here. HP tax, weight tax, engine cc tax, environmental tax, AC tax and more and finally slapped with a 25% VAT, even on the taxes . These taxes add 120% on the price of the cars from the factory. Only EVs are not taxed and cheaper than the ICE models. The Renault Twizzy costs 11,000 euros today.

These moped cars costs about 3X the price of a moped.
Oh ok. Yes, I'm sure automobile taxes in Norway would be one of the highest in Europe. But I wasn't comparing car prices from India and Europe! I just looked up the Polo and Up prices on the VW Germany website. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:48   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
These cars are taking off in Norway. The Casalini, Ligier and the Microcar. The Casalini is Italian and the other 2 are French.

They have 4 disc brakes. Maximum speed is 45 km/hour.

These moped cars can be driven by kids of at least 16 years of age. They need to take a safety course and 12 hours of training at a driving school. There is only a theory test to pass to get a drivers licence.

I see many of these outside schools and obviously very popular.

Prices start at 18,000 euros and there is a comfort pack with aircon, brake booster and servo steering as optional extras. The engine is common on all 3 brands. They use the Lombardini 492 cc common rail diesel with 9 HP.

How I wish I had these possibilites when I was 16.

Attachment 2247656

Attachment 2247658

Attachment 2247660

Attachment 2247662

Attachment 2247665

Attachment 2247666

There are also cargo versions.
Attachment 2247670

Attachment 2247664

Attachment 2247661

These designs look so much more tempting and desirable than the failed one from Tata's stable! (Read Nano).
I honestly believe the sole reason for Tata's failure with the Nano was - unappealing design.

Maybe they can resurrect the frugal Nano with a design rejig like one of these. My hope is they'll do pretty well.
LaRoca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

A 492cc CRDI engine! These will be stretching the liter to a 50km or so. Pretty cool. Is Norway not averse of diesels yet?
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 06:40   #15

My neighbourhood friend had a similar Desi version. His father had a factory so fabricated one in 1990s. It had a moped engine and required to be pushed around to start it.

Was a basic setup looked like a golf cart. No suspension I suppose and absolutely road illegal. No windshield or doors. Just the chasis made of tubes and sheet metal. With kinetic wheels. Was a fun ride always. Later they had changed to kinetic engine but was noisy as hell.

These are variations are safer and look really smart . Perfect what a teenager would like. But seeing tata nano's failure at such a price point, companies would not attempt to bring this here specially if the user will outgrow the vehicle in some years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks