Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2022, 12:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel

BMW is said to have filed a patent application for a new yoke-like steering wheel, which the company refers to as 'Steering Handle'.

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel-bmwsteeringhandlepatent1.jpg

As seen from the patent images, the steering handle has a grip on either side. When turning, the grips remain vertically aligned at all times, while the main horizontal yoke rotates about a fixed central axis.

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel-bmwsteeringhandlepatent3.jpg

The application states that the steering handle could be used in autonomous vehicles, which would free up space otherwise taken up by the traditional steering wheel.

The company has applied for the patent not only in the USA, but also in Germany and China. BMW is also reported to have applied for a patent at the global trademark office, indicating its intent to protect the design.

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel-bmwsteeringhandlepatent4.jpg

However, it is unclear whether the steering handle will actually be put into production or not.

Source: CarBuzz

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 10th January 2022 at 12:07.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 12:23   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel

I would never buy a car with a steering wheel like that. Its unintuitive & too weird.

If safety is the argument, then why not use just 4 tiny little arrow keys to actuate the electric power steering !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
...Maybe because we are used to circular steering wheel I find the new tesla and this concept ridiculous, maybe because I am old school.
Are we? Car makers need to design cars for who the buyers are and what they want. Inch by inch car makers designers try to push people away from something that people grew up aspiring for.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 10th January 2022 at 12:37.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Car steering is inching closer and closer to video games controllers.

Maybe because we are used to circular steering wheel I find the new tesla and this concept ridiculous, maybe because I am old school.

Last edited by SideView : 10th January 2022 at 12:28.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 14:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I would never buy a car with a steering wheel like that. Its unintuitive & too weird.
The Tesla Model S Plaid in fact has a yoke like steering wheel and it's one of those love it or hate it things. I, for one, and a majority of people agree with your point. If you watch reviews, people complain about the lack of real estate on the steering wheel especially while taking deep turns or parking the vehicle. Human hands/arms just don't intuitively move this way and they have a huge learning curve.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 16:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post

The application states that the steering handle could be used in autonomous vehicles, which would free up space otherwise taken up by the traditional steering wheel.

*Snip* indicating its intent to protect the design.

However, it is unclear whether the steering handle will actually be put into production or not.
Summarizes well, It is just a design protection for level 3 and 4 autonomous solutions where in the vehicle can drive on it's own and in rare conditions override should be possible.

These patents are done in anticipation, and in some predictions might give a competitive edge in future or may not end up in production.

What I want to see is that the airbag placement is the most space occupying part in this patent. I wanted to see some patent radical to place the driver airbag in an unconventional way. What if the steering wheel concept is retractable in an L4 autonomous vehicle. I have seen a couple of renders with airbag on dash but still curious.
Old 10th January 2022, 20:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

What's next? The steering wheel will be integrated inside the touch screen meter console? Just a swipe to the left or right and the car will respond or the driver can actually drive it from his mobile or tab seating on the back seat or even from his home with a connected app!

Advancement is killing the cars.

From this

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel-bmwm3_039.jpg

to this!

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel-bmwsteeringhandlepatent4.jpg

and from this

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel-maxresdefault.jpg

to this.

BMW patents new yoke-like steering wheel-3000.jpeg

Last edited by Samba : 10th January 2022 at 20:15.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 20:25   #7
BHPian

On a serious note, I am expecting the next version to be a joystick, like how Airbus have moved from yokes to joysticks.

Name:  airbus.png
Views: 176
Size:  533.1 KB
Photo: Google

Most Viewed