Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 05:56   #61
BHPian

Sri Lanka Crisis

The Ukraine-Russia War thread (Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war) discussions are extremely enlightening. I'm hoping knowledgeable TBHPians will chime in here too with their unique perspectives! ("divide your gyan"!)

What is happening in Sri Lanka, similarities to the situation in India, how will it impact India, etc., etc.

Anbumani warns against giving asylum to Mahinda Rajapaksa

Quote:
He is facing charges of committing genocide against Tamils in the civil war’
PMK youthwing leader and Rajya Sabha member Anbumani Ramadoss on Wednesday said the Indian government must not consider giving asylum to Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa, who had recently resigned and sought refuge from the Sri Lankan forces, and is said to be hiding in Trincomalee.

Dr. Anbumani said Mr. Rajapaksa is facing serious charges of committing genocide against Tamils in the civil war in 2009.
Appoint a new govt or economy will collapse: Sri Lanka’s Central Bank chief

Quote:
Addressing reporters in Colombo, Nandalal Weerasinghe, who assumed charge as Governor of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka just over a month ago, said: “If there is no government in the next two days, the economy will completely collapse, and cannot be salvaged by anyone.”
Attached Thumbnails
Sri Lanka runs out of money to buy petrol-tempsrilanka.png  

mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 09:38   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sri Lanka Crisis

"Anbumani warns against giving asylum to Mahinda Rajapaksa"

Why on earth would we even consider giving asylum to any of the Rajapaksas?! That family is completely responsible for the mess and they should face justice in Sri Lanka. Even if they are in physical danger there, that's a situation of their own making.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:36   #63
BHPian

Re: Sri Lanka runs out of money to buy petrol

I’ve been quite disturbed with what’s happening with Sri Lanka - have some close friends there, visited SL once and it’s too close to home since I’m from the south.

As I’ve mentioned in post #17 of this thread, this was a case of pure incompetence by the Rajapaksha family. Infact, Sri Lanka would’ve gone the way of Venezuela if it wasn’t for the timely Indian aid and some institutions still functioning, that is holding back the complete collapse of Sri Lanka.

As I’ve heard from my Sri Lankan friends (almost all Sinhalese), Mahinda Rajapaksha (who has resigned as PM and is taking shelter in a naval base) was revered as a strong leader for beating the Tamil rebels, almost like a cult figure. He along with his brother (the current President and ex-Defense Min) basically ran the country as a family business with Sri Lankan institutions having little say in how the country is run. As Sri Lanka slides deeper and deeper into this mess, bouncing back will be a Herculean task within itself.

Meanwhile, there has been baseless rumours that India is deploying troops, but this has been categorically denied by India (rightly so).

This is a warning to all nations of the world, especially democracies. The stability and growth of your nation is not dependent on having a strong leader but rather having strong institutions. A strong leader with too much power is almost always a liability for any country.
dragracer567 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:38   #64
BHPian

If Rajapaksa asks for asylum it will be a big headache for us. It is better he flies to somewhere else. But he is too shrewd and will definitely ask forprotection from and in India. Leaders do make comeback after horrendous atrocities or atleast their children do as we have seen it after emergency and just recently in Phillipines.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Leaders do make comeback after horrendous atrocities or atleast their children do as we have seen it after emergency and just recently in Phillipines.
Philippines is one of the most online communities. Bongbong used the ill gotten money to push fake history "dictatorship is good, and good times" on social media. The memories of common man is extremely weak, and social media too powerful in communities with no regulation. From one tyrant to other, they will do no better
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 12:29   #66
BHPian

Talked to my friend in Sri Lanka yesterday. She is working in a prominent public university in Colombo. Some of the things she said just broke my heart, she doesn't know if they will get paid in the coming months and even if they do, there is no guarantee that they will have anything to eat since the country has no FOREX to import food. They don't even have the money to conduct fresh elections if needed.

Based on my conversation with her, it seems like the situation is even worse than previously thought. This whole thing seems like a playbook of what happened in Venezuela and I suspect China will prop up the Rajapakshas just like Russia & China propped up Maduro.

I really hope things do get better there, for the sake of the Sri Lankans and the sake of the neighborhood!
dragracer567 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 07:51   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

The below mentioned Washington Post article details out the background context in detail

Inside the collapse of the Rajapaksa dynasty in Sri Lanka

A few excerpts

Quote:
In interviews, current and former ministers, foreign diplomats and Rajapaksa confidants, some of whom spoke for the first time as they saw the family splinter, said Gotabaya and Mahinda, and their respective factions, clashed over ministerial appointments and agricultural policies, investment deals and political favors.

The men rarely confronted each other directly, yet they disagreed on everything, including high-stakes political gamesmanship and petty corruption, family confidants said.
Quote:
Allegations of corruption, including questionable deals with Chinese state companies and officials, swirled around Mahinda. Gotabaya was also implicated, though to a lesser extent, and faced scrutiny over the 2006 purchase of MiG fighters from Ukraine.

Mahinda and Basil have faced numerous accusations, including diverting tsunami relief aid and using public funds to buy land, but many cases have stalled or been withdrawn. “The alleged Rajapaksa corruption is like a large tree that provides shade to many people,”

The Rajapaksas were united on one issue: A constitutional amendment passed in 2020 that weakened commissions investigating corruption and granted the president far-reaching powers over the courts.
Old 25th May 2022, 08:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post

This whole thing seems like a playbook of what happened in Venezuela and I suspect China will prop up the Rajapakshas just like Russia & China propped up Maduro.
Sri Lanka is a different case. Venezuela is suffering due to sanctions and so does Russia.

On a different note, where are Billionaire Boys: Bezos and Bill Gates? They spend all their time and money on irrelevant things. I have hardly seen their profit driven NGO organisation coming to the aid of Sri Lankan government.

I have not seen them pledge some of their accumulated wealth to help Sri Lanka. Or for that matter, even Ratan Tata or Anand Mahindra have kept silence.

P.S:
India was in a similar situation in the 1960s. Had it not been for the US giving generous food aid and USSR economic support, we would have been in the same state in the 1970s itself.
FrozeninTime is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 09:14   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Sri Lanka is a different case. Venezuela is suffering due to sanctions and so does Russia.

On a different note, where are Billionaire Boys: Bezos and Bill Gates? They spend all their time and money on irrelevant things. I have hardly seen their profit driven NGO organisation coming to the aid of Sri Lankan government.

I have not seen them pledge some of their accumulated wealth to help Sri Lanka. Or for that matter, even Ratan Tata or Anand Mahindra have kept silence.

P.S:
India was in a similar situation in the 1960s. Had it not been for the US giving generous food aid and USSR economic support, we would have been in the same state in the 1970s itself.
Why should they? This isnt a climate catastrophe or a plague. This was purely a political misstep by the Sri Lankan government - so now, they and their people pay for their short sighted approach.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 20:08   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
I have hardly seen their profit driven NGO organisation coming to the aid of Sri Lankan government.

f.
Could be mainly due to reasons of trust, Sri Lanka is far from neutral, the the respective Government are wary, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why should they? This isnt a climate catastrophe or a plague. This was purely a political misstep by the Sri Lankan government - so now, they and their people pay for their short sighted approach.
The tragedy is an act of GoT .

Last edited by ajmat : 25th May 2022 at 20:09.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 00:44   #71
BHPian

A video that perfectly sums up the Sri Lankan story. But what is really concerning is the part where Sri Lanka might just be the beginning where one developing country after another collapses due to a combination of COVID, Ukraine war, high commodity prices and economic mismanagement. The next in line seems to be Pakistan which is a ticking nuclear time bomb in the best of times! Turbulent times are ahead, especially in India's neighborhood.

dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks