Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 13:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Tiguan: Answer to India's need for a 15lac SUV?

Mod Note: Our Tiguan Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Okay, we have had a thread discussing about the need for a good SUV in the Rs. 10-15 lac price range. Toyota flashed the Fortunner but later withdrew or postponed indefinately it's plans to launch one. Ironically, no car maker seems interested in launching a SUV in that price range despite there being a market.

Could VW have the answer to India's need for a million rupee quality SUV? The Golf based Tiguan is coming in 2008 with TSI petrol and TDi engines including a clean "bluetec TDi" with power ranging from 150 to 170PS. The small SUV will come with standard FWD and optional AWD. I guess the 1.8 turbo petrol should be good enough for India where the diesel will anyway rule the sales charts.

VW will conduct a final extreme test of the car in Namibia and will launch it in 2008 with a starting price of $24,000 roughly Rs. 960,000.

Interiors look very Korean!

Aren't these pics of a Hyundai? I am confused here!

Tiguan concept pics from the North American Auto show:

The new Radio navigation system is the highlight technology in the car. Hi tech electronics in a VW?! I hope they know what they are doing this time!

Full Tiguan Story: Global Auto Index website.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2017 at 12:40. Reason: Link to review :)
Old 7th June 2007, 14:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well India needs a SUV badly in the 15lacs range and i highly doubt that VW is going to launch it in the 15L range, might be using the Skoda brand name for the same.
Old 7th June 2007, 14:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

while i agree that we defintely need a decent capable vehicle in that price bracket, I dont see the car coming here in that sub 15 lakh range...the numbers might not justify it...for that case i think the japs and koreans have a much better chance at cracking this bracket...the new vitara had supreme potential, but again, i dont see it coming sub 15...
Old 7th June 2007, 14:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

At first glance, yes...it does look appropriate for the much-needed complete SUV for 15 lacs. On a related note, even Marutis upcoming Vitara seems competent. With a diesel powerplant, it will be a rock-star!
Old 7th June 2007, 21:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Same platform as Skoda Laura which is around 16-17. Expect this to be more like 20.
Old 9th June 2007, 04:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

What we really need is a non-desi competitor to Scorp and Safari that isn't a van.
Old 9th June 2007, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

It is always a "which came first: chicken or egg?" dilemma for the auto manufacturers: Price versus numbers.

For smaller numbers, there is no point in creating the assembly line - so you have to import the vehicles as CBU. That's why all the sub-$20K cars land up costing more than 15L in India (CRV, Tucson, Endeavour, ...). Support service is not a problem since all of them have the infrastructure in place and it is only incremental training for the mechanics. Spares cost high - again direct imports >> inventory cost!

Now, if only there are numbers to justify gearing up the assembly line (even 1 would do). That won't happen, since a majority of the buyers prefer 7-seaters at least, and you can't do that in compact based on Golf.

GM tried the Subaru Forrester but failed, even though it was a real good SUV (OK, an X-over, but so is the Tiguan). Must see what VW does.
Old 15th March 2008, 09:25   #8
BHPian

Hey guys, any news on the Tiguan? Heard its coming by 2008 end. Any concrete information on that? Am really very keen on the SUV.
Old 15th March 2008, 10:55   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

VW's stong point is their kitty of diesel engines. The company has a very strong track record of amazing diesel engines. My view is if the Tiguan is launched at 20-23 lacs with a torquey diesel it will have many takers. Given its small size its less the utility aspect and more the quality, european design flavour, urban SUV use that will draw customers to it.

They should peg it against the CRV if they want to see decent volumes. I seriously doubt viability of a CBU SUV import at sub 15 lacs
Old 15th March 2008, 10:58   #10
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
What we really need is a non-desi competitor to Scorp and Safari that isn't a van.
Toyota's Fortuner will be it as and when they decide to bring it in. Safari and Scorpio under 9 lacs may not suffer as much but their top end models definately will if the Fortuner comes in around 13 lacs.

Also at that price point Toyota will grab a large chunk of sedan sales too. Quite interestingly many SUV's eat into the sedan segments too

Last edited by DKG : 15th March 2008 at 10:59.
Old 15th March 2008, 11:08   #11
BHPian

the vw tiguan will be priced at around 30L*, for the same price there is the freelander 2 which is expected to come once tata closes the deal with land rover.

* price as given in march 08 issue of top gear
Old 15th March 2008, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Holding the Tiguan's price at Rs.15 lakh is going to be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
For this to happen, the SUV would have to be manufactured in India with a high local content. The day this happens, people will be lining up for that world class yet affordable Indian made SUV.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think its impossible to price the Tiguan at 15 lakhs. I know it sounds outright pessimistic but if the Tucson sells for 19.7 on-road Mumbai then there's pratically no room for a Volkswagen below that unless its designed, engineered and manufactured in Seepz or Vasai or something.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

First Drive of the Tiguan by Canadiandriver.com
Old 30th July 2008, 17:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Although the car will be good if available for 15 lakhs, I wonder what will be state of A.S & S. The number of Skoda experiences make me wonder how will VW manage A.S & S. Moreover, if going by the way they have positioned VW as a suplremely luxurious brand, the cost of spares can be high.

The single factor that can make this car failure is A.S & S. And other thing is that I believe, this car wont be here for 15 lakhs. If available, it can kill Jetta and Laura.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks