Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 09:38   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

In the big picture, sales will be high. And by the time the next generation comes, this will be hailed as some paradigm change in car styling.

Personally, when I saw the scoop pics, I naively thought this would be a modern interpretation of the 80s shark nose BMW styling. Still believe if you darken/ black out the DRLs, and the headlights are emphasised or lit up/ switched ON, this would look great.

A crappy effort from my side, just tried on MS Paint.

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-e.jpg

Disappointment is with the interiors. The way everything has gone touch. Though it looks waaaay better than the Tesla copy S class. Especially the ambient lighting idea looks great and they have atleast given some semblance of physical controls in the centre console. Would like to see how the external door handles work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
I especially like the fact that they stuck with the three box design for the i7 unlike the EQS.
True, Glad that they have retained the 3 box design and retained the superb dash to axle ratio, however inefficient it may seem. Unlike Merc who have gone full on monovolume design.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:16   #32
BHPian

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

Not sure what the car companies are thinking these days. Did not expect the beemers to take this route.

I thought new-gen creta was bad IMO, this is at another level.

Seems like a 4 eyed monster with a bugs bunny tooth grill. Yuck
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:12   #33
BHPian

After this, I think, a 'Thanks, but no thanks' button should be introduced on TBHP!
Harjot37 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:47   #34
BHPian

For a change, I am liking what I am seeing.

The latest gen M4 still remains ugly to my eyes, and so does the iX and x7.

The 7 series, even the previous one felt strange in the beginning and then grew on me. Still its just for the 7 series. I find the interiors, specially the new 2-spoke steering still hard to digest in some places, but overall liked the fact that they didn't go for a 'sleeker' version on each passing generation but added some bulk. It speaks modern/futuristic and some retro at the same time.
PrasunBannerjee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:24   #35
BHPian

I think the value of the older generation of BMWs just went up. Also, there was another post which compared the Lexus Grille to that of the BMW. IMO, the Lexus looks like it was meant to be that way while the BMW looks hideous. Just lost whatever interest I had in considering a BMW at some point in the future.
Old 22nd April 2022, 13:45   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Official sketches of the 7-Series!

Name:  bmw760ixdrive2023671984.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  45.3 KB

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmw_g70_design_debate5.jpg

Name:  P90458317_The_new_BMW_7_Series_Design_Sketch__mid.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  53.1 KB
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:03   #37
BHPian

I am not buying it. PERIOD. (Even if I could )

I might topple over the hedge or bump into a lamp-post walking to it with my head turned the other way, trying to avoid its hideous looks. And this is so far out beyond the spectrum, there is no chance of the looks "Growing on me".

I wonder why BMW prefers to polarize. All they had to do was to monetarily seduce Gerry McGovern into taking over the looks department.
KANNURAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 16:28   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Most detailed walkaround video of the new 7er so far.

Old 22nd April 2022, 16:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

A peek into the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-img20220421wa0004.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 16:36   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow I`m reminded of the new Creta related conversations, well that is a runaway hit. This one could stand out in the sea of boring corporate designs from Mercedes & VW.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 17:07   #41
BHPian

Definitely ugly. Looks like a basking shark feeding in the deep. Who knows, maybe that is the inspiration.
pd1108 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 17:22   #42
BHPian

Anyone wondering how the driver will see in the rear view mirror with that massive screen in the way? I guess they will use cameras for when the screen is down. However, imho cameras still don't give the exact perception of near or far the approaching vehicle is at the rear.

I have the full rear park assist on my G30 but by habit i still turn back to get an exact estimation of the space I'm backing into.
Old 22nd April 2022, 18:46   #43
BHPian

Wonder where the German design finesse went. Shockingly ugly. Truly BMW (Becoming More Worse)
Mysticeyes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 18:58   #44
BHPian

The rear actually reminds me of a Mitsubishi lancer on steroids!
Old 22nd April 2022, 19:19   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

More than anything else - the thing that triggered my OCD sirens - is where that bonnet has ended, way deep before the grille.

And - the plastic bumper has a flat top upto the bonnet. And then - there is a rather long slanting line above as well as below the headlamps - where the bumper plastic meets the rest of the body and towards the wheel well. Already the line below the headlamps on all cars is an eyesore. BMW takes it a level up (or down) now!

The cabin looks quite snazzy on the other hand - for the SAHIB or MEMSAHIB being driven around - this might be a fantastic place to be in!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks