Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2022, 11:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

BMW has finally taken the wraps off its all-new 7 Series range. The brand's flagship range is now in its 7th-generation and features a drastic change in terms of design, features and tech. The new 7 Series will be offered in a range of petrol and diesel engine options, with BMW also debuting an all-electric version, called the i7.

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-2022bmw7series-1.jpg

In terms of exterior design, the 2022 BMW 7 Series now comes with a radically new front fascia featuring split headlights, with the LED daytime running lights on top and the main headlamp cluster below. The car also features a massive front grille along with a new front bumper and fog lamps at either end. The side and rear profiles have also been changed and now feature freshly-designed alloy wheels (standard 20-inch & 21-inch optional) and new horizontal LED taillights at the rear, along with a refreshed bumper.

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-2022bmw7series-4.jpg

Inside, the new 7 Series comes packed with all the latest tech, including the brand's latest curved digital display running the iDrive 8 OS. The flagship sedan features a 12.3-inch instrument display and a 14.9-inch touchscreen infotainment system. Other features include a new flat-bottom steering wheel, touch-sensitive controls on the centre console, gear selector and the traditional iDrive controller. The new 7 Series comes with a massive 31-inch 8K roof-mounted theatre screen at the back, capable of video streaming via Amazon Fire TV. The massive screen is controlled by 5.5-inch screens positioned on the rear door handles.

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-2022bmw7series-3.jpg

The new BMW 7 Series will be offered with a set of petrol, diesel, plug-in hybrid and electric powertrains. Currently, the 7 Series comes with either a 3.0-litre turbocharged 6-cylinder petrol in two state-of tunes, either 282 BHP / 425 Nm or 375 BHP / 540 Nm, depending on the variant. There is also a 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 producing 536 BHP and 760 Nm, sending power to all four wheels via the brand's xDrive system. Both engines come paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-2022bmw7series-2.jpg

The all-electric BMW i7 comes in a single xDrive60 trim. The i7 packs a 101.7 kWh battery pack that powers dual electric motors (one on each axle). The electric powertrain produces 536 BHP and 745 Nm. The all-electric BMW i7 is said to have a maximum range of 625 km on a single charge, with fast and standard charging options.

BMW has also stated that diesel and other plug-in hybrid powertrains will be introduced on the 7 Series sometime in early-2023.

The new BMW 7 Series will go on sale internationally in the coming months. Prices for the flagship sedan will be announced closer to the date of launch.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 11:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

I thought it would only be ugly from the front but DAMN, its hideous from the rear, the bumper and those taillights are not acceptable at all! Why is the rear badge so big?
peepo is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

First they tried sedan face for their SUV, now they want to slap SUV's face for a sedan.
giri1.8 is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:19   #4
BHPian

This is downright one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen in my life. The only angle from which this car does not look ugly might be from the inside.
SaiSW is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
This is downright one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen in my life. The only angle from which this car does not look ugly might be from the inside.
It's a bit like farting in a closed crowded place- everybody else has to bear the brunt but you

What were they thinking, it is abhorrently hideous! I think their inspiration for this and the XM seems to be driven by 'being different', which could be traced back to the initial hype surrounding the Tesla Cybertruck. I state this as an example because that seems to have motivated car companies to think out of the box wrt car design, and this is yielding mixed results. I might be misled by this hypothesis though, but that's what I feel. The 7 lacks the stately elegance that is associated with cars of this type, and that can only be attributed to a need to stand out from the crowd of other super-sedans.

For some reason this black makes it even worse:

Name:  20220420063215_7er_760i_xdrive_85.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  125.3 KB

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 21st April 2022 at 13:03. Reason: added image
Sudarshan42 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:50   #6
BHPian

RIP gorgeous, breathtaking German designs. This has to be the final nail in the coffin for those looking for a good-looking Beemer, as I believe this is where their design direction is headed. I genuinely wonder what these guys are on because not one line on the body seems to go with the others. Regarding the grille, it appears that instead of improving, they actually seem to be inspired by memes.

Can't wait for Frank Stephenson to rip this abomination apart.
sainyamk95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 13:09   #7
BHPian

I can't believe this is real. That has to be one of the most tone deaf designs in recent times. The understated i7 is still better at the front than the ICE monstrosity. Also, that rear screen looks like it will block the passengers view out of the windscreen. Quite claustrophobic looking.
Porcupine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 13:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Also, that rear screen looks like it will block the passengers view out of the windscreen. Quite claustrophobic looking.
Maybe an aftermarket mod with cameras could project the view from the windscreen on to the rear screen for the benefit of passengers in the rear seats. Maybe BMW themselves will offer it as an additional subscription based feature

This could be an "out of the box" differentiator as most auto companies seem to be going this way.

Cheers
Ram
marsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 14:05   #9

I have always liked the 7 series over the S -Class, A8 and the likes. In fact, I have always preferred the way BMWs look than the other two. Hell, I even wrote that the 5th gen 7 series was my dream car in my TBHP application. I even instantly liked the last years facelift even though it had started polarising people. But this design has just ruined it for me. No matter how you look at it, the car looks extremely ugly. I don’t even like the interior that much. Not a fan of this steering wheel, or the horizontal screen at the back. They might go ahead and ruin the 3 and 5 series too now. I guess the hints had started dropping when the design of M-sedans changed radically. Not that I would ever be able to buy the 7 series, it just makes me sad.
dr_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 14:26   #10

I think what BMW meant with the F chassis was "Farewell" as they started making Chinese cars soon after that.
AD03 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 14:32   #11
BHPian

And most people said the Chris Bangle era was the nadir of BMW designs. It's like BMW wants their latest offerings to be the face of memes in the auto world! It's no longer a grille, it's a freaking gate. Absolutely horrendous design, with no semblance of grace, elegance, or cohesion! I pray, oh how I pray, that this split headlamps design dies just as quickly as it has spread around. The pre-facelift 7th gen Honda Accord sold here had the heaviest looking rear end in my books; this one has managed to trump it.

I'm sure the car is sporting cutting-edge tech with every trending creature comfort as is the norm for this segment, and then some. But the buyers in this segment are also looking for graceful designs with some regal air, that age wonderfully (the W221 S-class, the gorgeous Jaguar XJ, the business suit Audi A8). God knows what BMW was thinking, dropping this caricature amidst some really gorgeous sedans.

The interiors are expectedly sumptuous and tech-laden, but I'm unsure of the theatre-style screen, especially considering the short viewing distance.
RoverX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 15:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Radically styled Mercedes-Benz EQS rival touches down with the most advanced tech.

Official pictures

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6093.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6099.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6096.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6095.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6094.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6092.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6091.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6090.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6089.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6088.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6084.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-bmwi7xdrive6080.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st April 2022 at 15:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 15:28   #13
BHPian

I personally feel Chris Bangle should be brought back to BMW!! Suddenly his design lines feel more subtle and mature now.
samyakmodi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 16:19   #14
BHPian

What a hideous looking car. The kind of sorcery cooking up at BMW headquarters is beyond me, one bad design after another. As Chris Harris once said on Top Gear (though not for this car), "There are far too many tasteless rich people for it not to exist", and I believe this statement holds true for this disaster too.
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 18:55   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I frankly find it hard to believe this made it to production. How on earth did a weird, strange, awkward & ugly design pass the many layers of approvals? Damn, I don't care if it goes like a rocket and offers the ride comfort of a magic carpet...there is no way such a contraption would ever find a place in my garage.

If someone told me this is an April Fool's joke, I'd believe it.

Mercedes must be rubbing their hands in glee. While the W223 isn't as stately as the W222, it is still such a cleaner & classier design than the new alien from BMW:
Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-1.jpeg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-3.jpeg
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks

Most Viewed