Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 10:13   #16
BHPian

@sameer, completely agree with you there.

Instead of banning fast cars or putting speed-limiters in them, why not make a ratings system where every car gets points based on
- Emissions and environment friendly materials used.
- Fuel Efficiency ratings.
- NCAP ratings.
- Size/Space occupied.

And then provide huge benefits or add extra taxes, based on how a car scores on these.

While such a ratings system may not be feasible in a place like India, the EU can most definitely implement this.
Old 18th June 2007, 10:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeah this kind of a ratings system will work for sure. Of course the pressure from large SUV makers for having a separate scale for them will be immense...
Old 19th June 2007, 14:05   #18

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen as it is there is nowhere anyone can go above 70 mph in UK and if the car has the max speed of 101mph than u still would go above 70 a full 30mph above the national speed limit...thats good enough for havin fun i'd say. as it is they are juss talkin about Europe...for India its not possible anyways i mean 101 mph is way too much for any car in India on Indian roads... i dont see any problems with it

I 'd say this should also be imposed in US as well as they got the biggest gas guzzlers (correct me if i m wrong). I mean i understand everyone's feelings here guys. I 'm also a car enthusiast and love supercars and all that but if you look around yourself dont you think we should be responsible as Zenx dude says. It might not make much difference but it surely will make little impact on CO2 emmisions. There is no need for any car to go above 101 mph anyways. How many of you guys here drive at 100+mph everyday that you are all so upset....c'mon. Yes everyone loves supercars but they cant afford one. those who can afford it should definitely be capable of takin them to the track for fun as for normal people y do we suffer from the emmisions that they cause for havin these cars. This would encourage em to drive small cars for normal commuting which isn't that much to ask now is it?

Most of the big fast cars are spotted in busy cities and roads where its not even possible to drive at 40mph. 101mph top speed is reasonable in my opinion. It would only be unreasonable if anyone is allowed to drive above that limit lawfully.

Raj
Old 19th June 2007, 14:34   #19
BHPian

all this is done to void the global warming also a local mp in india also wanted to limit only one car for each house.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well tomorrow some one might wake up and say F1 cars are faster - ban F1. What nonsense is this !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 19th June 2007 at 14:39.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

F1 runs a few cars, for limited runs, for a very specific purpose. It also ends up advancing technology so much that millions of vehicles throughout the world actually run leaner, meaner and safer.
The same logic cannot be applied as is on street cars in large numbers.
F1 cars (and their street equivalents) are also pretty expensive, and thats deterrent enough for all but a handful of the population. In any case the idea is to make the mass market - family cars etc - more responsible and practical drives. Nobody can argue that cars capable of doing 101mph cannot have a fun to drive character, or even lotsa oomph upto that mark.
Its probably time to cap engine sizes and look elsewhere for a better driving experience - this is already the direction of the market in Asian and other developing markets, and to a certain extent in Europe too.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:36   #22

well i can see where u comin from but if you could juss tell me what good are they doing to the world by having F1 races apart from boosting economy of the provinces where the race takes place. I mean to say is they are not banning cars all together they are just banning the fast cars which are not any good to any one in the first place mate. you have to consider the environment first at least now when everything is deteriorating it big time. I think its about time they should consider the environment as it has always taken the fall cos of us. WOnt really affect anyone would it as its not really that important for anyone apart from the drivers.

Raj
Old 19th June 2007, 20:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

this is UTTER BULL CRAP. (sorry mods for this language) But HOW does cars which travel less than 101 mph reduce GLOBAL WARMING.

this just shows how HALLOW and DUMB the EU is (if EU has taken this decision).

- BURN LESS OF THE FOREST.
- USE MORE OF SUN (AS A SOURCE OF POWER)
- USE MORE OF WIND POWER.
- KEEP A TAB ON THE FRIGGIN INDUSTRIAL WASTE AND INDUSTRIAL POLLUTION.

i think all global solutions will be solved.
Old 19th June 2007, 20:04   #24
BHPian

if this bill passes the after market performance part business is going to boom.
Old 19th June 2007, 21:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolraj003 View Post
I 'd say this should also be imposed in US as well as they got the biggest gas guzzlers (correct me if i m wrong).
Raj
errr... biggest gas guzzlers doesnt imply a fast car. The Great American Gas guzzlers are the SUV's and many people cannot do without them. I was against people owning SUV's and if they do out of necessity I was against driving them when alone, but now that I started living at my sisters place I cannot imagine how we can manage without a SUV.

Anyway, if the EU intent is really on saving the environment from global warming and pollution, they should just disband their military. Do you know how many gallons of Diesel a British Warship needs?
Old 19th June 2007, 21:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good reads:
EarthTrends: Feature - Car Companies and Climate Change: Measuring the Carbon Intensity of Sales and Profits
Bloomberg.com: U.S.
GreenerCars.com: Automobiles and the Environment

Various taxation based solutions:
Report on Auto-Related Environmental Taxes_3. Taxation as an Environmental Measure Related to Vehicles [MOE]
Old 19th June 2007, 21:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

God we missed the Golden era of everything!

Ironically mostly because of people who have been able to live thru the Golden era of almost everything. Maybe because they were unhappy about the fact that in that era they were able to do nothing.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:41   #28

German's will get really angry if this new ban is imposed on their Autobahn as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks