Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2022, 16:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever

The CEO of BMW's M division, Frank van Meel, has confirmed that the upcoming 2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion car from the M division.

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-bmwm2badge.jpg

The 2023 BMW M2 will be a purist offering, featuring a six-cylinder engine with a rear-wheel-drive configuration and a manual gearbox, without any scope of electrification. The M2 will even skip the mild-hybrid 48V system, which is becoming increasingly common among other models.

Frank van Meel also confirmed that going forward, the entire BMW M model line-up will be electrified, with either plug-in hybrids or pure-electric options. BMW is currently working on a number of electrified M-badged models to add to its line-up. This includes offerings such as the XM and the next-gen M5 plug-in hybrid, while an all-electric M3 could also be in the works.

BMW is all set to unveil the 2023 M2 sometime later this year. The performance sedan has already been teased multiple times ahead of its arrival in the market.

Source: BimmerToday

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 20:39   #2
BHPian

Re: 2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever

Such a sad state of affairs worldwide with an increasing focus on electric cars. While I do understand that brands have to be competitive but at the same time they could've still continued to make a few performance models for purists like us with Hydraulic steering, long travel brakes, Manual Gearbox, Analog Dials, Physical Buttons (Instead of touchscreens), Weight Reduction etc.

Partially even the consumers are to blame to support such electrification of cars. If no one bought them, who would they sell it to, right?

These are some really bad times for enthusiasts and purists alike. From the unethical Govt. policies to brands killing the legendary models to satisfy their hunger for profits, this is no longer the world I had expected at least. The magazines and YouTube channels are no help either with each trying to maximize their share by promoting anything and everything these days.

Models made up to 2012 were more or less the last ones having Hydraulic Steering having driver focused handling and potential. Post that, things have only been focused on feel 'less' cars and incorporating tech that actually made no real sense inside a car.
The Rainmaker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 09:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

End of an era?

Well. Enough for the car to have huge demand, while dealers in North America found a new reason to mark up prices. And for collectors to snap up the stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post

Partially even the consumers are to blame to support such electrification of cars. If no one bought them, who would they sell it to, right?
Well, blame it on regulations. Customers don't care about electrification as long as it is faster and efficient than the previous version.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 11:55   #4
BHPian

I really hope this one gets some units allocated for India! And that I can lay my hands on a pre-loved beauty in a few years time.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 13:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
I really hope this one gets some units allocated for India! And that I can lay my hands on a pre-loved beauty in a few years time.
You beat me to it! I just felt the exact same thing so I can save up enough to enjoy such beautiful machines before EVs take over (more or less completely) in future!
Old 11th June 2022, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
End of an era?

Well. Enough for the car to have huge demand, while dealers in North America found a new reason to mark up prices. And for collectors to snap up the stock.
Yes that's another scam running these days and there are takers. How fickle minded can one be to buy into this practice? For the same price, I'd rather get a 80s - 90s Gen purist Porsche or a Ferrari rather than paying such inflated prices for a BMW with Fake Exhaust sounds through the speakers and touchscreens (It's a car for heaven's sake not a mobile phone).

Quote:
Well, blame it on regulations. Customers don't care about electrification as long as it is faster and efficient than the previous version.
Partially true but again I've seen some who actually want an electric car for bragging rights, some to outdo each other and then there's the rest who think it's new tech so 'must be better'. These walk into the showroom seeing a couple of YouTube videos and some are brainwashed by the sales guy at the dealership itself. Those who know, they know while those who don't, just don't!

For anyone who has lived driving and fixing cars with 'Passion' would never ever support or buy an electric car or even a car with such electronics (Marketing Gimmicks). At least I wouldn't...
The Rainmaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 11:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

2023 BMW M2 confirmed for October debut, BMW has shown the prototype which recently completed testing at Austria's Salzburgring.

- 3.0-litre twin-turbo straight six around 450hp
- Manual 6-speed or 8-speed M Steptronic
- Rear-wheel drive

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-smartselect_20220613115348_instagram.jpg

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-smartselect_20220613115355_instagram.jpg

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-smartselect_20220613115401_instagram.jpg

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-smartselect_20220613115411_instagram.jpg

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-smartselect_20220613115423_instagram.jpg

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-smartselect_20220613115440_instagram.jpg

2023 BMW M2 will be the last pure-combustion M car ever-fb_img_1655101506913.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th June 2022 at 12:02.
Old 13th June 2022, 17:00   #8
BANNED

Possible but I will desist from 'ever' end such suffixes. Do you remember the old Mazda advts extolling the Wankel engine and so many more from others.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks