Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 19:24   #1
BHPian

Enginneering training abroad

hi guys,

didnt know the exact place where to post this and i didnt have sufficient privileges to post in the bhp advice section so here it is.

I am a mechanical engineering student at Thapar University ,Patiala and want to go in for my semester(Jan 2008 -Jun 2008) training abroad(because here in Indian companies as i have come to know ..only know about Maruti though they dont actually teach you anything or even let you touch anything) in some reputed automobile company preferably Europe. Dont know where to start the correspondace from ,so i said lets start from our own guys.

If anyone has an idea or how to go about the procedure for such training do let me know and i'm continuing my seach on net as some companies do accept your resume for the training .

I am very serious soguys do help.
Old 20th June 2007, 22:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

i don't know any details about the situation in Europe.
now are you looking at some sort of apprenticeship position working in a workshop or something then in the U.S. they generally prefer you having this certification -> ASE.
get in touch directly with the automobile firms.
go to dealer websites (if you're keen on working in workshops) as they're more likely to respond and see what they have to say. the dealer's won't be able to help you with your VISA but it's a start.
Old 20th June 2007, 22:13   #3
BHPian

wrote to the german embassy yesterday and got the following response
:
Hello Aman,

Practical training can be arranged as a requirement of the on-going
course
of study

- The student must cover his own airfare

- Employer/host institution is expected to pay a monthly living
allowance.
The allowance of Euro 615 per month, or Euro 395 plus accommodation per
month would entitle student to apply for a visa. The candidate should
get in
touch with the institution where he wishes to go for training, i.e.
establish contact with an appropriate employer and get the necessary
letter
of acceptance. One can find out about the German institutions through
internet.

- The DAAD can assist in getting necessary departure clearances in the
form
of a ZAV certificate, on receipt of a confirmation of placement for an
internship as well as an indication that an allowance of Euro 615 per
month
would be given by the German institution. It would take us approximate
weeks to get a ZAV certificate through our Head Office from German
authorities. The ZAV certificate will facilitate the student in getting
a
visa for Germany in a shorter period.

In a few cases, the German institutions contact our organisation with
placements for practical training. These offers are generally for the
period
of 2-3 months and as a part of ongoing course. Please note that the
deadline
for applying for this is over for 2007. For summers 2008 students must
get
in touch with us sometime in end of January 2008.
Old 21st June 2007, 00:14   #4
BHPian

bro i feel you're quite late for all that! if you're in your third year now then you should apply for next year! i'm doing my training at maruti, they dont let you get onto the line and work and they make sure you don't interfere in the working of the workers either but they do teach you, but again its upto how much you want to learn its not like school where they'll stuff things down your throat , you've got to be interested to learn! and as far as i know its the same situation everywhere, nobody's going to let you be a part of the line to have hands on experience all companies work on tight schedules and they can't afford any delays or mess ups due to a trainee, so if you're looking for hands on experience i'd suggest you go to a small firm where you'd get much more hands on experience but at the cost of exposure!
Old 21st June 2007, 09:37   #5
BHPian

hey guys i am also doing mechanical engineering. going into 5th sem now and wat training are u guys talking about ? the fourth year project ??? i wanted to go abroad for my masters . hey aman dude do u by any chance have any info about studying in germany ? anythhing ? cause i tried to find out stuff about germany but couldnt find anything ?? i already found out about the UK . anyone in germany ????????
Old 21st June 2007, 11:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amannarwal View Post
hi guys,

didnt know the exact place where to post this and i didnt have sufficient privileges to post in the bhp advice section so here it is.

I am a mechanical engineering student at Thapar University ,Patiala and want to go in for my semester(Jan 2008 -Jun 2008) training abroad(because here in Indian companies as i have come to know ..only know about Maruti though they dont actually teach you anything or even let you touch anything) in some reputed automobile company preferably Europe. Dont know where to start the correspondace from ,so i said lets start from our own guys.

If anyone has an idea or how to go about the procedure for such training do let me know and i'm continuing my seach on net as some companies do accept your resume for the training .

I am very serious soguys do help.
Do you know somebody in IIT Delhi. These guys regularly go to Germany/France/austria for 6 months training etc.,
They get contacts of professors and companies from IIT database and send them their academic records and recommendations.
Without a recommendation you cannot get training in Europe easily.
I suggest you contact some IITian it will help.
If its not urgent right now, I can find out in a few days time. I know people in IIT who have gone to germany etc.,
Old 24th June 2007, 14:52   #7
BHPian

sorry for the delay but couldnt help it because im in leh right now.
thanks tsk1979 .. I know a person in IIT delhi but hes in first year .Ill try to talk to him .But I dont think he would be a good help. It would be great help can find out information from people you know.and as it is you can see im enjoying my holiday no no worries till now.
and speed0mania i dont think im late because i checked up with volkswagen website they do not even accept applications before 6 months whenever you want to start.and iu know about maruti because my brother has already done training there.
and harry15 i dont know about you but we have a full semester industrial training for the 6th sem.
Old 27th June 2007, 19:14   #8
BHPian

Going abroad might not be as easy as you think unless you are an IITian. Have you checked out the training programs that our universities offer? Here are the best ones
1. Surge at IIT Kanpur
2. Other IITs - Chennai, Bombay, Kharagpur and Delhi (Delhi you have to pay the semesters fee)
3. TATA research at Bombay
3. The program at IISc is the best amongst all. Its called YSME or something.

You can get the details on their sites.
Old 27th June 2007, 20:48   #9
BHPian

Getting a project in Europe is quite hard and a recommendation from a good prof. is needed. But there are quite a bit of Projects in India (IITs) that are open and the last i heard, there was some ambitious Car design/Building project going on at IIT Guwahati...

Will find out when i get back to college next week.
Old 12th October 2007, 11:36   #10
BHPian

hi guys

sorry to disturb you again but as now ive decided (or no other choice) to do training in India can somebody tell me some good companies near delhi that could give me good training for my mechanical engineering. As to what all compainies exist and which ones give you some responsible work and which ones would benefit me in the future.

Just help me with the names (preferablly in gurgaon).

and those of you who have had experiences do share them.(Maruti, Hero Honda)
Old 26th October 2007, 22:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Aman the best advice I could give you is that you transfer your course in some UK university either in MEng or do your masters over here and you can easily take a yr off for training. Companies come to the campus and take trainees and if you perform well in their projects then they offer you jobs after completion of your degree.
Old 27th October 2007, 11:06   #12
BHPian

A student from my coll had gone to Jaguar UK for his Inplant Training, again he used his influence cause his uncle worked there.

Most Viewed