Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 08:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai and Kia raided over suspected diesel defeat devices

German authorities claim that more than 210,000 cars made by the Korean brands are affected.

Hyundai and Kia raided over suspected diesel defeat devices-20220629_085207.jpg

Quote:
German authorities have raided Hyundai and Kia due to suspicions that they put over 210,000 diesel vehicles with suspected illegal defeat devices onto the road, the Frankfurt state prosecutor's office said on Tuesday.
Quote:
The engine software is thought to have come from parts companies Bosch and Delphi, which today is owned by the Borgwarner group (BWA.N), according to a statement.
Quote:
Authorities searched business premises at eight properties in Germany and Luxembourg in an operation coordinated by the European Union agency Eurojust.
Quote:
A spokesperson for Hyundai confirmed the raids and said the company was working with the authorities.
Reuters

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th June 2022 at 08:52.
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 17:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai and Kia raided over suspected diesel defeat devices

Well, such check is required in India as well. Remember, Kia was the first BS 6 diesel and I was curious since then. It was a walk in the park for them when others were struggling and leaders like Maruti have shied away from Diesel altogether. Tech giants like Nissan and VAG also followed the suite. To say out laws are not very stringent will be an understatement. Will watch this space.
rangarx is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:50   #3
BHPian

Why are such checks not enforced in India? Bringing new emission laws into effect and not monitoring is definitely not helpful. I can still see legacy cars which are way past their expiry date plying around in Tier 1 city roads w/o any traffic cop batting an eye. Similar is the situation with public transport buses and freight movement vehicles.

Looks like traffic cops are more concerned about new vehicle owners at least in Bangalore and looking for an opportunity to charge them with an offense as soon as the previous PUC license expires while the actual culprits strut along the roads with confidence!

Pollution check is need of the hour and should be mandated and regulated for each and every vehicle across the globe!
Varun_G is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
Why are such checks not enforced in India? Bringing new emission laws into effect and not monitoring is definitely not helpful.
What cheat device check are they going to perform?
We have state owned buses, auto's, trucks and even some cars fuming smoke and openly driving infront of the authorities.
sunikkat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:59   #5
BHPian

I once took my vehicle for PUC. The girl on the desk asked for my vehicle details and old PUC certificate. Within 2 minutes, she issued me the certificate.

When I asked regarding testing, she said "no need,Sir".

I politely insisted for test, since the values mentioned were too low to my liking. She equally politely stated that she don't know how to carry out the test.

I rest my case!!...A simple RTI application regarding vehicles failed pollution check at PUC centers could be a reality check.

Had any RC been cancelled due to failed PUC??

I am sure number will be zero in many states or may be whole country.
Indepth is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 20:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
What cheat device check are they going to perform?
We have state owned buses, auto's, trucks and even some cars fuming smoke and openly driving infront of the authorities.
Exactly! Raiding offices here would just a be a PR move or shakedown for bribery. It would accomplish exactly nothing. Now giving cops pollution checking devices or even making fitness tests which includes pollution checks mandatory every 5 years might actually help our pollution problems. Make it every year for transport vehicles/trucks or private cars over 20 years old.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 23:23   #7
BHPian

I hope things have been improved, but I'm not sure what will come out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Kia was the first BS 6 diesel and I was curious since then. It was a walk in the park for them when others were struggling and leaders like Maruti have shied away from Diesel altogether.
It is also possible that they have learnt a thing or two after VW fiasco, and were prepared for it. Maruti/Suzuki lacks in many departments so it isn't surprise, VW group not wanting to touch diesel is also not a surprise. Ford anyway was totally uninterested, which is also not a surprise.

On the other hand, Kia with new plant, would be very much interested in having BS6 from the start than setting up for BS4 first and then BS6.

---
I'm not defending Kia/Hyundai, I'm just stating this before we start brand-bashing. At the markets like US, they do have well engineered products. So it is quite possible they have invested smartly and got a decent product out of it.

OTOH, it is also possible that India having step-mother treatment, and there's no way of us finding out ever.

An interesting article to read for sure - https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/w...os-merkel.html
Old 30th June 2022, 08:06   #8
BHPian

Even if our authorities were concerned about pollution, they will slap a heavy fine on the manufacturers to fill their pockets. There is nothing that helps stupid consumers like us. Classic case being VAG emission penalty. Consumers were left high and dry. No directive to the manufacturer to ensure that people like us who have put in money to buy these defective products are protected as well.
Old 30th June 2022, 17:56   #9
BHPian

Coming from an engine development background, I have no idea what these guys would be looking for. Obviously they were not looking for hardware, so the only thing you will get is a software. And the software document s are PDFs which run into 20000 pages, which are intentionally written to be as vague as possible. So, they seize laptop? and then do what? read the software documents!! For a typical development program there will be 10 versions of softwares as well.

If they wanted to seize emails or communications, then an a legal request should suffice. (subpoena)

If they wanted evidence , then its easy to prove it on a real vehicle with the said defeat device. The OEM should come to the authorities and then justify.

I am inclined to think that this raid is more of a publicity exercise, much like our ED raids.
sukarsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 18:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I couldn’t agree more. I have had similar thoughts whenever I see some vehicle exhaust more emissions. We may have rule or regulation but looks like we have challenge in enforcement of the same. There are people who ignores it ever they knew its harmful.

This is one of the problem we face it today. Hope our country close the gaps sooner. We have to leave better planet for future generation.
K7@TN14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks