Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 19:09   #1

Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new cars, test finds

https://www.vibilagare.se/nyheter/ph...ars-test-finds

A swedish car magazine performed a test of touchscreen vs physical screens. This is probably obvious to a lot of us, but hopefully this study will reverse the trend of touch screens and add some physical buttons.

Quote:
The screens in modern cars keep getting bigger. Design teams at most car manufacturers love to ditch physical buttons and switches, although they are far superior safety-wise.

That is the conclusion when Swedish car magazine Vi Bilägare performed a thurough test of the HMI system (Human-Machine Interface) in a total of twelve cars this summer.

Inspiration for the screen-heavy interiors in modern cars comes from smartphones and tablets. Designers want a ”clean” interior with minimal switchgear, and the financial department wants to lower the cost. Instead of developing, manufacturing and keeping physical buttons in stock for years to come, car manufacturers are keen on integrating more functions into a digital screen which can be updated over time.

So in what way have these screens affected safety? Vi Bilägare gathered eleven modern cars from different manufacturers at an airfield och measured the time needed for a driver to perform different simple tasks, such as changing the radio station or adjusting the climate control. At the same time, the car was driven at 110 km/h (68 mph). We also invited an ”old-school” car without a touchscreen, a 17-year-old Volvo V70, for comparison.

One important aspect of this test is that the drivers had time to get to know the cars and their infotainment systems before the test started.

Mod note: Please type while using proper punctuations and do understand the forum and its subsections before opening new thread.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th August 2022 at 21:27.
sandeepss1980 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 22:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new cars, test finds

Good to see this relationship backed up with hard evidence, although I have my doubts about the effects on the validity of results of having different drivers (participant variables) in different cars.

A balance has to be found between touchscreens and physical buttons, because relying too heavily on either in a modern car with tons of features is no good. We don't want the dashboard looking like the cockpit of the original 747, neither is a Tesla Model S what we should look up to.

In the end, it's consumers who have the power to collectively bring about the change back to physical buttons. I think this may start happening in a few years after the novelty of massive screens and capacitive buttons wears off. The finance departments may be unhappy though, since touchscreens are indeed cheaper to produce in today's world.

The numerous incidents we've read about that were caused by the driver not paying attention to the road due to being buried multiple menus deep in a touchscreen (for example the Tesla driver crashing while changing the wiped speed) should serve as a reminder for the time being. Distracted driving kills!
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 23:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepss1980 View Post
https://www.vibilagare.se/nyheter/ph...ars-test-finds

A Swedish car magazine performed a test of touchscreen vs physical screens. This is probably obvious to a lot of us, but hopefully this study will reverse the trend of touch screens and add some physical buttons.

Scientific research finally catches up with the common sense that we as car users knew all along. Touch screens can largely be used only by taking your eyes off the road for a fraction (or many fractions ) of a second. A tactile physical knob you can reach out to even in the dark without taking your eyes off the road. Technology for the sake of it is not normally a blessing. Certain things are perfect as they are and don't need to be re-invented - the steering wheel, the brake pedal, a safety pin, the pencil etc.
V.Narayan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 00:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepss1980 View Post

The screens in modern cars keep getting bigger. Design teams at most car manufacturers love to ditch physical buttons and switches, although they are far superior safety-wise.
I could have told them so! Design teams please take notice. I am a pretty nerdy tech guy and I love all new technology by and large. I love a dashboard with lots of gauges, switches, levers, buttons, warning lights etc. The more the better.

But having timidly about with a touch screen whilst driving a car is just plain stupid as far as I am concerned. When operating a car, everything needs to have a proper tactile feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
We don't want the dashboard looking like the cockpit of the original 747!
Well, I like the cockpit of a 747. I have clocked quite some hours as a pilot on them. If anything they don’t have touch screens. Not a single one. All proper dials, buttons and levers!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 00:37   #5
BHPian

I can totally relate to this. Recently drove Seltos GT Line and coming from Creta with physical buttons, immediately felt how tricky those touch controls really are. The muscle memory definitely works better with the physical buttons. I also feel that the touch controls should be limited in a car as they tend to cause distraction while driving. After driving Seltos for a few days, I have started appreciating the logical button layout in Creta even more!
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 10:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

About time, someone acknowledged and actually published such results

Call me old-school or whatever, but I cannot drive a car which doesn't have the tactile feel of those dials, buttons et al.

A few months ago, when I was on the lookout to upgrade our Vento, came across the stylish Volvo S60 sedan. Everything about the car felt rock solid and the design was breathtaking. However, a short test drive with this touchscreen cockpit:-

Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new cars, test finds-capture.jpg

...and I walked away from the car. I couldn't just get to looking at the screen and figuring out the AC/Lights features while driving. Too much of a distraction for me.

Eventually, I went on to buy a car which was full of such tactile niceties:-

Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new cars, test finds-img_1903.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 10:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Have a mixed opinion about the usage and the tests; even though it mentions that participants were given time to know, but we all know that it takes little time to get conversant with digital controls.

I used to crib a lot about Tesla until I used it for an extended time. A few days later, I could adjust everything as I would on a regular car. It did help that I was on auto-pilot mode and driving in Canada, though. What happens in our traffic can be different

I liked how air vents work on a Tesla; they are much better than cross types we have. Is it to do with digital controls or just an intelligent design -not sure. But it will be a pain to change the volume control by touching somewhere when that beautiful knurled knob can do better.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th August 2022 at 10:29.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 18:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, I like the cockpit of a 747. I have clocked quite some hours as a pilot on them. If anything they don’t have touch screens. Not a single one. All proper dials, buttons and levers!

Jeroen
The reference to a 747-400 cockpit was only a figurative comparison. Extensive, years-long training is needed to be able to fly one; not the case with cars. Physical controls certainly have their own charm though.

By the way, it's amazing to hear that you used to fly 747s! I've always wanted to fly on one since I saw the prototype at the Seattle flight museum; truly the queen of the skies. Hope that can happen someday before quad-engine aircraft are phased out entirely.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 18th August 2022 at 18:18.
Old 18th August 2022, 19:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
By the way, it's amazing to hear that you used to fly 747s! I've always wanted to fly on one since I saw the prototype at the Seattle flight museum; truly the queen of the skies. Hope that can happen someday before quad-engine aircraft are phased out entirely.
I do have a pilot’s license but mostly fly much smaller planes. (Or flew rather). But I have logged about 35-45 hours at the Lufthansa and CargoLux training centre on their full motion 747-400 simulators.

I have flown jump seat in the cockpits of a number of 747 over the years.

Its becoming increasingly more difficult to fly as a passenger on 747s. Most airlines have phased them out during the Corona years. There are still quite a few cargo versions out there though.

747 has been my favoured plane for decades. I remember my dad took us to Schiphol Amsterdam airport to witness the very first 747 arriving. Panam flight in 1970 or thereabouts.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 20:06   #10
BHPian

As cars keep getting "smarter", I intentionally seem to be getting dumber. The only digital, touchable interface I have when I drive is my phone running the GMap navigation and I sometimes have problems even with that. Once I was trying to zoom in to better see the exit I was supposed to take and suddenly my screen started showing 3D. I had to halt to figure out what had happened and fix it.

Having said that, digital touchscreens do have their place on vehicles.
Usability studies have shown, humans can remember 8/9 things at any given time. So a console with only those required, when required controls definitely has value.

I think this picture will better convey my point.

Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new cars, test finds-nasa-vs-spacex.png
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 20:43   #11
BHPian

Well said! I would want those 8 or 10 things that I use as knobs, and am happy to leave the rest buried inside the screen. A hybrid approach, so to say.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 20:52   #12
BHPian

Old school knobs and buttons are more convenient, however I think they add to the cost of manufacturing, unnecessary wastage of cabin space and also a potential mechanical failure.
I am fine with on screen buttons as long as the screen is responsive, quick, and reliable and Very strictly - I don't have to take my eyes off the road to do it. That is one huge security concern (but modern day cars have voice recognition that spares you this trouble).

I'm more in the favour of how easy the usability is instead of 'I don't get the feel thing', which you eventually get used to in most cases. Landscape is changing and we need to adjust to it.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 00:15   #13
BHPian

I think it's only a matter of time and generational shift of the driver rather than the technology itself. The generation that grew up with tactile buttons on a DVD/Remote controlled Tv etc will have hardwired neurological circuitry of the action of buttons and the nature of tactile/tecture recognition while the newer generation which grew up with touch screens and voice assistents will feel that the new interfaces as more of a familiar friend.
Old 19th August 2022, 01:31   #14
BHPian

When car magazines perform tests, and that too coming from Sweden with Volvo V70 being a baseline (with Volvo C40 closely in 2nd place) says something about these type of non-scientific tests. Some issues with the test method (atleast the English version did not explain in detail, but the Swedish version of the article might have more details. This is behind a paywall):
  • How much time each person is allowed to get acquainted with a specific car?
  • What specific features are tested?
  • Were the tests performed by same person or different persons?

I will leave the above open questions for a bit of pondering.

I can share my personal experience with Tesla model 3, as I am using this for the last 3 years, day in and day out. There are only 2 physical buttons I miss :

Glovebox and Open charge port.

The obvious reason is both the above buttons sit in a sub menu and need 2 clicks to activate. Rest of the day-to-day controls are all reachable either from the main screen, column shifters or scroll wheels on steering. Having said that, if Tesla brings out an update which brings these above 2 things to the main screen, it is a perfect 5/5 for me.

If implemented smartly, a touchscreen control is as easy as any tactile button for a human mind to learn and use. Also with fixed buttons, it is almost impossible to improve a feature, but with touchscreen it is easily possible just with software without upgrading the hardware. Prevents lot of material waste (from production to disposal) and a user does not have to pay through the nose to buy a newer feature / car.

I strongly believe that touchscreen functions implemented smartly/cleverly is a boon to the automotive industry.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 19th August 2022 at 01:57.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 01:57   #15
BHPian

Not sure why all this research was required to know this - Things one need to operate without taking eyes off the road need a knob, rest can be inside the screen.

For example
- Audio Volume
- AC temp ( increase/decrease ) etc.

But to what level one needs a physical knob?
Do I want a physical Volume knob - Yes
Do I want a physical knobs for equalizer - No
iamahunter is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks