Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 16:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chinese Tiktok user creates a 10-feet wide, 8-seater Volkswagen sedan

The Volkswagen Lamando L is a China-specific sporty five-door sedan with an extended wheelbase. However, a Chinese YouTuber and Tiktoker has modified his sedan and called it "Lamando 5XL".

Chinese Tiktok user creates a 10-feet wide, 8-seater Volkswagen sedan-lamando5xl.jpg

The Volkswagen Lamando 5XL is almost double the size of the standard 5-door sedan. The car has been modified to be 3 metres wide, giving the feeling of being photoshopped even to the creator himself. Apart from the stretched width of the car, most of the features are stock, including the steering, the dashboard and even the rearview camera. The modified VW sedan even carries the same engine as the stock car and is positioned towards the driver's side under the bonnet, leaving a huge gap on the passenger's side of the engine bay.

Inside, the VW Lamando 5XL comes with a 2-person bench seat at the front, next to the driver. At the rear, the 3-person bench seat has been extended to accommodate 5 passengers. The creator of the Lamando 5XL claims that although it is an 8-seater, it can easily accommodate 10 passengers. The self-titled car enthusiast and Tiktoker is said to be planning to add the Lamando 5XL with a widebody kit in the future.

Although not legal and built basically as a fun project, the quality of work seems evident. The integration of the extension has been seamlessly covered in most places, both inside and out.

Source:

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 29th September 2022 at 16:55.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 17:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Chinese Tiktok user creates a 10-feet wide, 8-seater Volkswagen sedan

Ooh the Lamando Pro Max! That is well executed though not really some mindblowing engineering feat.
Iyencar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 18:14   #3
BHPian

The width is nearly equal to Nano's length and I like it! Good job. If such a car comes here, it has to hop over others on our narrow roads. When we had old Ambassadors sit 4 with ease, Why do we have today's cars that struggle with 3 people in the back? Will we ever build wide roads and wide cars?
CarNerd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 18:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a good laugh, thanks for sharing. I wonder if the end product is road legal? The exterior looks a lot better than the interior.

Oh, I loved the introduction!

VW called it a wide body sedan at launch, which, a lot of customers didn’t agree with. So, we decided to build one ourselves.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 18:15   #5
BHPian

Was watching his instagram videos/reels yesterday and i found it quite interesting!
Also this guy has a 2jz honda civic
UMXR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 19:49   #6
BHPian

Here’s something interesting. The tuners that built this, YiChe Garage also built an off-road 6x6 WULING HONGGUANG MINI EV

Stock Car vs Tuned:
Name:  CD2728364A71430EA70AD05B5D918CD3.jpeg
Views: 1271
Size:  22.1 KB
Chinese Tiktok user creates a 10-feet wide, 8-seater Volkswagen sedan-9033fbd7876f437cb389c2902d90f594.jpeg

Link to that video:
Arsenic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 20:15   #7
BHPian

I mean, why even?
Such a good looking car now looks like someone flattened it using a rolling pin!
Cool idea tho, absolutely bonkers!

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 29th September 2022 at 20:19.
Old 29th September 2022, 20:32   #8
BHPian

Slight OT:

With the 4m restriction in our country, i always wonder why our brilliant manufacturers dont try to widen (wide but not too wide) the cars a bit to get more people in.

After all real estate inside the vehicle is premium (and that too without needing to pay additional tax)

Am i missing something?
SideView is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 21:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Slight OT:

With the 4m restriction in our country, i always wonder why our brilliant manufacturers dont try to widen (wide but not too wide) the cars a bit to get more people in.

After all real estate inside the vehicle is premium (and that too without needing to pay additional tax)

Am i missing something?
If that happens, the government will start charging width tax. We will get a new segment called the sub 1.5m segment.

And wide cars will be one of those rare instances where the rest of the world copies China.

Last edited by MDH75 : 29th September 2022 at 21:48.
MDH75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 22:38   #10
BHPian

Hold my chai and bestow to Maruti 1600 limited edition.

Name:  maruti800modified8seaterjoined2cars2600x338.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  58.3 KB

Link : https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-800-...-12429840.html
maheshm619 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 13:20   #11
Sen
BHPian

My eyes hurt everytime I looked at the car. It can't even cross 30 kmph...why would they make it? To prove a point?

Definitely had a hearty chuckle watching the video. Imagine that in narrow streets in India. Truck drivers would be laughing their heads off and rubbing their eyes at the eye-watering dimensions of this car. Most probably a share autowallah's favorite ride as well
Old 30th September 2022, 14:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The Volkswagen Lamando 5XL is almost double the size of the standard 5-door sedan. The car has been modified to be 3 metres wide
Finally a car that can fit 3 adults in the back seat. That should make a lot of YouTube reviewers happy. But I guess it would void the warranty no?

Imagine taking this car for regular service. I'd pay to watch the reaction of service advisors and technicians!
yashg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 15:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
A myriad of reasons come to mind.
  • Cost (more material for the size outright)
  • Significant impact on handling dynamics
  • More width generally means complicated weight distribution & different angle of forces on suspension components. Probably need to use stronger and costlier ones. Anyway needed if you increase seat capacity.
  • Remember - on our roads, its tedious to even maneuver a hatchback in the heavy traffic. Imagine driving around something wider than what we have today.
  • A wider vehicle = wider track. And wider track = significantly larger turning radius.
  • Wider car = 6 or 7 seats. While the excise duty may remain unchanged in the sub4M rule - the tax is calculated on seating capacity as well. So you'll pay more.
  • And again - while you can add more people, the engine capacity still remains capped. And so will be the power. Effectively we'll end up with a car similar in capabilities to the Triber, but with different dimensions, that's all.
  • Aesthetics. Nobody will pay for a car that will look ugly on the streets. Our minds are set to expect certain proportions on vehicles. Hard to reset that.

Overall, I see too many disadvantages of this idea, for hardly any real benefits. Let's leave it to the engineers - they know something that we don't .
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 15:51   #14
BHPian

This is doing something weird to my brain. It is as if my brain is rejecting this possibility.

Needless to say, what a fun project it must have been.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 19:37   #15
BHPian

What horrendously (yes, I used that adjective intentionally) fun cars!

This is a beautiful example of what can be "accomplished" if you really don't care about common sense, aerodynamics or safety and you intent is to just have fun, and you have the resources to manage it.

Love the craziness.

Last edited by NowNew7 : 30th September 2022 at 19:38. Reason: Spelling and additional context

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks