Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW M cars will not downsize to 3 and 4-cylinder engines, confirms CEO

Frank van Meel, head of BMW M, has confirmed that the performance division will never produce a car powered by a 3 or 4-cylinder engine.

Name:  bmwm3.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  138.8 KB

As per media reports, on being asked if the 3.0-litre S58 straight-six would ever be replaced by a high-power output three-cylinder, Meel responded clearly that they are never going to do any three or four-cylinder performance cars, although many other companies are doing it. This was in reference to the recently unveiled 2023 Mercedes-AMG C63S, which is now powered by a 4-cylinder hybrid powertrain, replacing the long-standing V8 engine on the previous iterations.

However, apart from this single statement, Meel didn't reveal too many details. Reports suggest that BMW's future M cars will continue to be powered by either a straight-six or a V8 engine until the performance division decides to transition to an all-electric powertrain.

BMW M cars will not downsize to 3 and 4-cylinder engines, confirms CEO-2023bmwm21.jpg

BMW recently unveiled its new-gen M2 offering in the international market. The new 2023 BMW M2 comes with a detuned straight-six S58 engine, which also powers the brand's M3 and M4 offerings. The in-line 6-cylinder unit on the M2 produces 453 BHP and is mated to either a six-speed manual or an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Source: CarBuzz

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 17th October 2022 at 12:41.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:50   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW M cars will not downsize to 3 and 4-cylinder engines, confirms CEO

Hoping I'll be able to afford an M2/M3 with the ever rising prices and rupee depreciation.

It does not help that I live in Karnataka - with the highest road tax. It does hurt that you have to pay 100% import tax and another 23-24% for insurance and registration.

The only silver lining is that India is slowing developing to have strong opportunity for the entrepreneurial kind.

But I'm happy to see nice highways being developed by Shri Gadkari, I hope that he can implement BH for everyone.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th October 2022 at 17:14. Reason: Typos.
shastryBLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:23   #3
BHPian

https://www.motor1.com/news/590983/2...ustion-engine/

Above has been confirmed by many sources including Indian auto journalists.

If you've to put two and two together, the current gen F87 M2 will be the last one with ICE and the next M2 should be fully electric. They haven't said much about the G80 M3 or G82 M4 yet. However, given the next set of M cars will come around 2028, ICE may very well be replaced with electric. Until then, we can only guess.
HighRevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 23:23   #4
BHPian

Is anyone putting 3-cylinder engines in AMG/RS series cars? I am aware of none.

4 cylinder ones are OK, I think Merc has in their AMG line-up.

3-cylnder in M-series (or AMG/RS)? What kind of question is that?

3-cylinder engines are asymmetric, unbalanced from vibration perspective also and are almost invariably underpowered/rough. There is no benefit except for fuel economy in 3-cylinder engines at the cost of vibrations, lack of power and NO ONE in right mind will care for fuel economy in M/AMG/RS cars.
Old 18th October 2022, 14:49   #5
BHPian

they are quite right. It will lose the charm of what is an excellent engine, let it be the 387hp engine in the M340i or the inline 6 620Nm diesel of the 530d. the power rush is unbeatable. I had thought the 2.0L 231 hp petrol engine of the Mini Cooper JCW was great until i saw the M340i. Not to forget the manic M8, M5 625hp engines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks