Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2022, 11:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Protestors glue their hands to exotic supercars at the 2022 Paris Motor Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post

Demands
1. The Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
2. The Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
3. Beyond politics - The Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
[/indent]Source

Reminds me of that brown guy burning pieces of paper in Johannesburg, now he has his face on a lot of pieces of paper. Surprising how things work out when you fight for what's right.
The assumption is that government is hiding information from us. In this age where it’s
Difficult to contain information, this sounds implausible ..

The citizens assembly demand sounds like the kangaroo court scarecrow holds in batman. And this attempt sounds like the far left leaning attempt to control the narrative and exert undue influence over a democratically elected government BY THE PEOPLE.

Despite the shortcoming of the current government / leadership, I would rather place my trust in them vs a group of folks who want their agenda accomplished regardless of how many people get impacted with short sighted actions.

Please don’t compare the actions and impact of the father of our nation who fought against the oppression of a man by another man at great sacrifice and cost. These clowns have their tummy fill and know that lasting damage is unlikely to them and hence do these acts to gain a few mins of fame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post

I guess you will appreciate her if you understand the difficulties she has to face to cross transatlantic. At 19 years she is far intelligent than many of us. Please do remember Jeremy Clarkson is just a comedian, not even a automotive journalist as informed by the UK court.
Are you kidding me. Greta Thunberg is more intelligent than many other far more accomplished people out there ? Will give you one thing: She is an expert at manipulating the narrative for people who don’t critically think about the consequences of short sighted actions.. again the far left ideology at play where one person’s charisma( not exactly but a perverse form of it) sways millions of people .. kind of reminds me of Ellsworth toohey character in fountainhead.
charanreddy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 11:46   #17
BHPian

Re: Protestors glue their hands to exotic supercars at the 2022 Paris Motor Show

Just amazed at the naivety and ignorance of the protestors.
Typical First World protestors whose ancestors have polluted for years and now preaching others.
The only issue is that there is only one planet for now.

Last edited by adi.mariner : 26th October 2022 at 11:51.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 11:56   #18
BHPian

Damaging existing property and peaceful environment for future 'environment' (I am sorry to use these words) is really 'Stupid' and 'Madness'.

Trying to desecrate the historical artwork to get attention?

There are people who get attention by doing some amazing things and achieving some great feat e.g. Bhutan.

Rather to ask others to make a difference, I would really want to see what difference they are making today through their lifestyle, grouped efforts, how are they raising their little ones (if at all they have children, as majority is young blood).

This is just crap and no one is going anywhere with these stupid moves, the ones who are actually making a difference are the silent warriors and you rarely hear about them.

Not that I am against environment or anything but stunts like these look absurd to me.
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Of all the low lifes and criminals out there, the one group that gets my least sympathy are vandals. Whether it's the bored schoolkid who flicks the VW logo off my parked car or these organised lunatics who go about damaging property including works of art that they wouldn't appreciate if Van Gogh himself came and painted it in front of their dumbselves, vandals are a vile breed that respect nobody including themselves. I was thrilled to bits to learn about what the VW showroom folks did to them: let them stew in their own waste for a while and then perhaps they will rethink glueing their asses on the floor next time.

Useless parasites incapable of making any serious contributions to the serious issues of the day. They don't deserve the time of day, let alone all this media attention.
noopster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:21   #20
BHPian

Though I agree with everything that's been said here. The fact remains that we need to be a little more conscious of our personal choices that hurt the planet and not damage it more, if not save it. These guys in a way have done what was needed to get the conversation going, whether it helps or not, there is a discussion happening. This will lead to more awareness in some way and I am all for it.

Yes, the method was bad but rarely do agreeable methods of protest ever elicit a response or a discussion.

Just a personal example, we used to have so many pigeons around where we live in the IT hub of Hyderabad just a few years ago, there are NONE now, absolutely none that come to our balcony/building anymore. We have a farmhouse 40 kms from our house and we used to see peacocks and mongoose regularly, haven't seen even once in the last a couple of months. The change is real, and I am not sure how we can stop but any protest to bring awareness I am for it, even if those organisations have their own interests/PR/vested motives of some form.

Last edited by TejasV : 26th October 2022 at 12:25.
TejasV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:48   #21
BHPian

These protesters are smoking something really different to act so crazy and nonsensical.

Otherwise a sane mind can never do this.
steadfast is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 14:12   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
The assumption is that government is hiding information from us. In this age where it’s
Difficult to contain information, this sounds implausible ..
Just like everyone knew Iraq didn't have WMDs and the US gov totally didn't make it up? Besides that's not the point ExRebellion are trying to convey, the govs announcing environmental emergency will elicit collective response and force the governments to take action. The first step towards solving an issue is recognizing the issue.

Quote:
The citizens assembly demand sounds like the kangaroo court scarecrow holds in batman. And this attempt sounds like the far left leaning attempt to control the narrative and exert undue influence over a democratically elected government BY THE PEOPLE.
Groups of citizens banding together to lobby the govt. and get their voices heard sounds like democracy to me. Remind me again what the farmers were doing in delhi or how gujjars got reservation?

Quote:
Despite the shortcoming of the current government / leadership, I would rather place my trust in them vs a group of folks who want their agenda accomplished regardless of how many people get impacted with short sighted actions.
Which government, exactly? Surely not the one that over-reacted and lathi charged their citizens willy-nilly - actions which would have severe consequences in any civilized country where citizens are willing to uphold their rights and make sure governments serve and not rule. Guess, people get the government they deserve. Baaaa!

Quote:
...These clowns have their tummy fill and know that lasting damage is unlikely to them and hence do these acts to gain a few mins of fame.
The times... they are changin'. Again, protestors being from a civilized country means they do not have to struggle for every. little. thing. and don't need to be emaciated and suffering to fit your mental image of what a protest should look like.
--------------------

Over Half of Earth's Wildlife Has Vanished Since 1970

That alone is cause for concern but no, not only will some people not do anything to decrease their environmental impact, they have to pull down others who are risking arrests and jail time to get the message across. Just because they live in a civilized country and don't have to risk their life for a protest does not make their message any less important.

Whether Greta or ER people are doing this for their personal gains or for the greater good, only time will tell but I choose to believe in the good unless proven otherwise - innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Also, look closer at home, notice the absence of butterflies and bees and sparrows? May be you are too busy spending money won hard at the rat race of life which keeps getting worse because people can't stop breeding like vermin. How about the plastic and other trash that litter the roads in every city? Tragedy of the aam aadmis.

The funny thing about all this ignorant whining is it will be the poor people and under-developed countries with unsustainable populations which will suffer the most as a result of climate change and the economic and agricultural failures that would follow.

This is already becoming too preachy and holier-than-thou for my taste so I will leave it at that.

Last edited by Electromotive : 26th October 2022 at 14:21.
Electromotive is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 14:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Reports stated that the group called for an end to advertising individual ownership of private vehicles & instead to improve public transportation. They mentioned that promoting personal vehicles as 'transport of the future' is "absurd", considering the current fuel and electricity prices.
I wonder how many took some public transport to arrive at the protest venue.

How to deal with this nuisance?
The folks have the Porsche museum tell us how

Quote:
Climate protesters glue themselves to Porsche museum but needed to go potty
Staff simply left, turning off heat and lights rather than calling the police
Source
Old 26th October 2022, 16:13   #24
BHPian

While all and sundry are outraged at the activists defiling cars and showroom glass and paintings calling them terrorists and so on. One must remember theirs is a democratic society and its perfectly allowed to do so and any damages done by them will be dealt with AS PER LAW OF THE LAND AND NOT IN TELEVISION STUDIOS. This is their only way to bring attention to the cause they believe in. If not for these extreme steps nobody would even care. And lets not pretend that car companies are messiah's of anything, except profits.
Closer to home a certain Guru Das Agrawal, former professor of environmental engineering at IIT Kanpur, did a Gandhi style fast of 111 days to compel the government to make good on its promise of cleaning up the Ganga. He unfortunately passed away and nobody even flinched neither when he was fasting nor after he passed. None except one of the media houses reported on his fast and demise. If not for his ascetic name, he also would have been branded a terrorist, post mortem.
So extreme measures are needed to highlight extreme issues.

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 26th October 2022 at 16:16.
AJITHAAA is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 16:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Can someone share a few points on their agenda other than stop oil? Do they really have some plan for the world if indeed oil is stopped?
Old 26th October 2022, 16:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

There has to be a line of demarcation between proving a point for a cause and causing harm to people, property (doesn't this seem eerily similar to political, religious terrorism which gets the rightful condemnation?)

A ham handed, fixated approach is easy for people with nothing to lose, taking people along for a solution isn't
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 17:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Worry not! I did the digging for you...Wait! Hold your outrage, there is method to their madness...So, what's the message?...Their stated objective and demands:
Reminds me of that brown guy burning pieces of paper in Johannesburg, now he has his face on a lot of pieces of paper. Surprising how things work out when you fight for what's right.
This is a high profile protest, so they would just want the visiblity and steer clear of problems. So these harmless tactics. What about those eco warriors who would key the paint and deflate tyres of SUVs? Any method to their madness? Look up most of the terrorist organisations and their objectives and demands would seem reasonable in words. Gandhis with guns...one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist... Speaking of the brown guy. A poet once said, "It costs a lot to keep the brown guy in poverty". Could say the same for these eco warriors. Pollution has been displaced to other continents that they feel these actions are really going to make a change. With the current population levels, there has to be a halving of population to have some positive effect for the earth. Impossible. Or people should try to move away or abandon modern lifestyle in places that snow or are primarily deserts. Will make a world of difference to energy requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I appreciate them for the cause, I am only worried some of these actions could cause similar negative reactions and can harm the whole cause.

Just for info, ER is also against EVs as personal cars.....I guess you will appreciate her if you understand the difficulties she has to face to cross transatlantic. At 19 years she is far intelligent than many of us. Please do remember Jeremy Clarkson is just a comedian, not even a automotive journalist as informed by the UK court.
Jeremy Clarskon is just a comedian? I believe you have not read any of his written columns/articles. His views on cars are opposite of his visual media self. Says diesel is satan's fuel on camera, goes on to write that a diesel Golf is what most people would ever need. (in the 2000s. when diesels were todays BEVs). Demands cars to be sporty on video, on his columns he would say cars need to have a comfortable suspension. I don't care what some milords are saying, but Jeremy Clarkson is definitely not just a comedian.

About Greta Thunberg. Since she is no longer a child, can be more critical of her. Seeing her interviews, I don't think she is more intelligent than any of us. Add to that, she is just parroting the views of others. There is enough on the internet how sustainable her lifestyle really is. About the yacht trip..
Quote:
A poet once said, "It costs a lot to keep the brown guy in poverty".
Psstt... Conspiracy... ER is funded by the Big OIL to defame the climate activists and paint them in a bad picture in front of the general public

Last edited by DicKy : 26th October 2022 at 17:12.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 18:10   #28
BHPian

What’s up with the world, tarnishing paintings and what not. How does gluing oneself to a car prove any kind of point?

I would be furious if somebody pulled such a stunt on my car. With developments in synthetic fuels, maybe in a few years, a 20 year old Ferrari will offset all of its carbon footprint. EVs are not as green as people think of them to be.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:48   #29
BANNED

What makes this incident more irritating is that these eco-terrorists act as if china, which causes a third of the world's pollution, is on another galaxy. They work for china to funnel all the manufacturing and wealth into it. They act blind to noticing the eight storey engines of ships belching poisonous fumes from burning the crudest 'bunker fuel' damaging phytoplanktons of the oceans, which contribute to 80% of the total oxygen created, because china needs them to ship goods. They don't slur against aircrafts too. They never protest against a harbor or an airport ever.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 26th October 2022 at 20:02.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 20:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Jeremy Clarskon is just a comedian? I believe you have not read any of his written columns/articles.
I am not impressed by this racist bigot, who likes to bully his way.

Quote:
About Greta Thunberg. Since she is no longer a child, can be more critical of her. Seeing her interviews, I don't think she is more intelligent than any of us. Add to that, she is just parroting the views of others. There is enough on the internet how sustainable her lifestyle really is. About the yacht trip..
All I could read is she used a racing yacht, with no bathrooms, crossed Atlantic in 15 days using just sails and solar panels. Tell me about her yacht trip, you sound as if she travelled in some luxury yacht.

She need not do all this, I am fine if she flies economy class, but seeing at the kind of criticism, may be she has done right.

Quote:
Psstt... Conspiracy... ER is funded by the Big OIL to defame the climate activists and paint them in a bad picture in front of the general public
Ha..ha..what bigger conspiracy you want, every other guy believing in the "Hydrogen: the future of energy", Solar and Wind are **it, yeah Jeremy clarkson said so.

Climate activism is such a thankless job, even if the earth is saved from disaster by their activism, the right wing will say "As told by us there is no disaster".

Last edited by SKC-auto : 26th October 2022 at 20:34.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks