Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2022, 02:46   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?

I have never driven in Germany but rate it higher, much more than USA. The driving mannerisms and responsibility is at another level.
USA is a great place to drive. The basics are wonderfully easy. Standardized signage, Lane widths, naming of highways. The roads are inviting and accessible. Coast to coast one language, never get stranded if your car is in top condition. Best road safety and human safety rules in terms of car builds and proven records. Implementation of rules in unbiased ways. Politicians cannot go over those. Very strong culture to follow rules and respect for public space. Deterrence of punishment and fines in cases of breaking of rules. Stress free long drives (1000 miles and above)
And lastly affordability in terms of owning cars and fuel cost.
Right now it’s the best.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 03:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

I would very much like to be on whatever the makers of this article are on.

Also, since when does India have 4 race tracks?
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 11:00   #33
BHPian

I have driven in India, Germany, the U.S., Malaysia, Sweden and Australia. Germany wins hands down. From an overall experience, India is second (road diversity, scenery, fun of owning a fast car in India v/s rest of these countries owing to frame of reference, no unnecessary parking charges). However, from the mannerisms and quality of the tarmac, India would be last.
Old 2nd December 2022, 15:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Call me biased, but my top choice is still India .

- It's one of the rare countries in the world where you can have a lot of fun with a mere 80 to 100 BHP car.

- Excellent straights now (thanks to expressways), but more importantly, we have amazing mountain roads & curvy highways.

- Road-tripping is so much more fun with the vast greens & sceneries, unique dhabas etc. compared to say, USA where freeways are a snooze-fest with the same road feel and same McDonalds & Taco Bells at rest stops. No prizes for guessing that cruise control was invented & popularized by Americans.

- Drive just 1.5 - 3 hours out of Mumbai and you'd think you are on a different planet (e.g. Khandala, Pawna, Amby Valley, Igatpuri). Mahabaleshwar & Goa are doable with family too.

- Extensive offroading opportunities within 2 - 3 hours of major cities.

Second choice for me would be USA. Incredible choices of cars, amazing used car market, some good driving roads & lots of race tracks where you can take your own car.
The freeways in the US might be snoozefests, but the country itself is mindbogglingly large, and there is no dearth for beautiful trails and state highways. I'm a Trans America Bike Race veteran, having ridden halfway across the US, passing through five states on my way, and while some stretches were boring as hell, others were spectacularly beautiful. Coming to driving though, my bigger concert in the US would be distracted drivers; most of them either have their faces into a phone, or in the process of stuffing things into their mouths, while driving, and that is very disconcerting. In Sweden, I know that my fellow road users will be for the most part sensible and safe, neither of which I can safely assume in the US.

-Supermax
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 13:10   #35
BHPian

As many has rightly pointed out, USA is all about making it the most easiest to own and drive a car, because country is designed to be car centric. Combine that with vast size of the country and decent road quality (Decent compared with excellent roads networks in Europe), it’s natural the country is one of the top places for driving.

Regarding India, I love driving in India. it’s engaging and fun, never a dull moment. But the lack of general safety and total lack of road discipline combined with unreliable responsiveness of emergency services takes the fun out of it (especially when traveling with family).

I hope with the huge improvements the Indian road network is seeing these days, the discipline too will improve over time. At the end of the day, it’s difficult to be disciplined on a road with no lanes, markings or signs.

Most Viewed