Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2022, 14:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?

According to certain reports, which take into account multiple factors from the quality of roads, to the number of motorsport events and even the cost per litre of fuel - the United States of America comes out on top, followed by France & United Kingdom completing the top three.

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-carenthusiastcountry1.jpg

Here are the top-5 best countries in the world for car enthusiasts. Do you agree?

1. United States of America - 8.94/10

From hosting multiple F1 Grand Prix tracks & events and 5 world rally championships to having famous driving roads all across the country, USA leads the way as the best country for car enthusiasts.

2. France - 7.91/10

France comes in as the second-best place for car enthusiasts. The country boasts of having one of the richest automotive histories in the world. With a road quality score of 5.43/7 and having hosted over 61 F1 Grand Prix and 45 WRC rallies, France is one of the best countries for motorsport fans as well.

3. United Kingdom - 7.91/10

The United Kingdom joins France in being the second-best country for car enthusiasts.

While fuel costs are on the higher side and the road quality score is around 4.86/7, the country makes up the points by having the best racing scenes compared to other countries on the list.

4. Spain - 7.67/10

Spain is among the top countries in the world for driving, with a road quality score of 5.70/10. It also, like the others on the list, has played host to multiple F1 Grand Prix and WRC rallies over the years.

5. Australia - 7.57/10

Australia might not have the best motorsport history, as compared to the others on the list, but the country does have some of the most scenic landscapes in the world - making it one of the most ideal places to enjoy driving. The country also has the cheapest fuel cost, among the top 5. The road quality score is 4.93/7.

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-carenthusiastcountry2.jpg

Although not in the top 5, India does occupy the 22nd spot on the list. It is said to have a road quality score of 4.52/7 and an overall score of 4.32/10 among car enthusiasts.

Source: Confused.com

Last edited by Aditya : 25th November 2022 at 15:18.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?

Call me biased, but my top choice is still India .

- It's one of the rare countries in the world where you can have a lot of fun with a mere 80 to 100 BHP car.

- Excellent straights now (thanks to expressways), but more importantly, we have amazing mountain roads & curvy highways.

- Road-tripping is so much more fun with the vast greens & sceneries, unique dhabas etc. compared to say, USA where freeways are a snooze-fest with the same road feel and same McDonalds & Taco Bells at rest stops. No prizes for guessing that cruise control was invented & popularized by Americans.

- Drive just 1.5 - 3 hours out of Mumbai and you'd think you are on a different planet (e.g. Khandala, Pawna, Amby Valley, Igatpuri). Mahabaleshwar & Goa are doable with family too.

- Extensive offroading opportunities within 2 - 3 hours of major cities.

Second choice for me would be USA. Incredible choices of cars, amazing used car market, some good driving roads & lots of race tracks where you can take your own car.

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2022 at 11:28.
GTO is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:50   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have driven in USA, Britain and Australia other than India. The other nations was for a period of 2 years each when I was either studying there or working there.
I just love our India. The diversity of terrain, diversity of culture, the difference in languages, food within reasonably short distances make our country the best for me. The feeling of security at home, using our own vehicle,even if underpowered, makes India unique.
India anytime!!!
rajeevsulu is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

For road trips, India any day with the obvious caveat of safety and road manners among our fellow users. On non-holiday seasons, our highways are just amazing - absolutely flowing, plenty of surprises and no two trips are exactly the same.Thanks to the road conditions and stuff, you can have fun in reasonably priced cars too!

But if it's all about the machine, India is definitely not the place to be. Great cars are priced out of reach when compared as car price/ average income ratio. Also, the lack of motorsport culture, race tracks etc make it not so great for the enthusiast.

All said and done, I know many families who traditionally hated driving ending up doing road trips every few months after being forced to drive to their native place during the COVID era.
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 12:16   #5
BANNED

It seems like a great metric to look at price of fuel and the motorsport history, but I for one do not care one bit about these things. For me, the No.1 choice is simple and it is none other than Germany.

Driving and Maintaining cars seems to be ingrained in their culture, which makes sense if you want to keep up with the autobahn traffic. And you can go full ham on a lot of roads and the variety of cars available is second to none and you get the best of german cars right at launch. And not to forget they have the Green hell
agambhandari is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Everyone saying India, hasn't probably considered the risk-reward ratio. India is probably one of the riskiest places to drive (I'm not talking statistics but real experience). I'm an avid driver but every time I'm behind the wheel here,I don't know if it'll be last on the road, and first behind bars

The sheer stupidity and randomness of the humans /animals on the road make the experience quite hectic. Maybe it's the years of driving abroad talking or that I've a toddler with me now at most times, but it's got me re-thinking my driving trips. Although I'm sure I'll never take a driver with me,I disagree that India is a fun place to drive.
I don't think scenic beauty was factored in on the rankings which most people seem to be harping on here.
Logically speaking, the road quality, design, lighting, fencing from hazards, and everything else make India probably one of the least worthy of this ranking and love
pratyaksh is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 18:08   #7
BHPian

I'd like to respectfully disagree with those saying India tops the list. The biggest issue is the lack of driving etiquette. Be it people in powerful luxury cars cruising at 40 km/h in the fast lane on highways, holding up traffic in the process, or those in cars with bald tyres and non-functioning lights treating crowded city roads like a racetrack; we have a very long way to go with regard to this as a nation. Then, the road infrastructure. While this is improving, it has a long way to go before I'd call it good. There's a massive inconsistency in road quality across the nation. World-class expressways that could be used as runways exist in the vicinity of glorified dirt tracks named as highways.

And of course, this would not be complete without a special mention to some of the policy decisions being taken. With the increased ethanol blend, older cars will really, really suffer with regard to their mechanical health, all while fuel efficiency and power as a whole would take a hit. Then come measures that really make me scratch my head, such as the 15-year old ban in Delhi-NCR and the ridiculous rumble strips that are becoming concerningly common in many places (Telangana is a massive offender, followed by Maharashtra). The insane taxes on new cars and import duties (the latter being an effective expenditure-switching policy, but detrimental to car enthusiasts) really make it difficult for those on a budget to have much fun. Then, the illogical setting of speed limits. Let me take Delhi-NCR as an example. The highest speed limits in the city are 70 km/h. However, the Yamuna expressway has a speed limit of 100 km/h. I'm pretty sure that a road like the Yamuna Expressway can handle speeds more than just 30 km/h over city speeds! One could literally fall asleep on these world-class roads, since it seems like you're going nowhere (I'm pretty sure this is more dangerous than having an actually reasonable limit where drivers are forced to be more alert!).

Sorry, but while India has stunning and diverse scenery along with some great driving roads, the overall road conditions, driving etiquette and some policies make it really difficult for me to place it on the top of this list.

I'd probably say Germany would the best if it's about the sheer act of driving. Their wonderfully paved roads, autobahn and the green hell is more than enough of an incentive. Not to mention the absolutely fantastic lane discipline and general driving etiquette that's hardwired into their culture. However, fuel is very expensive, which means that saving time by hitting the top numbers of the speedometer on the autobahn definitely won't be easy on the pocket!

Factoring everything such as the cost of fuel, general operating costs and choice of vehicles, I'd say the USA. You can still buy a brand new naturally aspirated V8-powered muscle-car with a manual transmission there and remain in five-figure prices in dollars, while at the same time also having access to some wonderful (perhaps boring) freeways and very twisty backroads. You also get fuel that's still very cheap when compared to most of the rest of the world (and Europe!). Laws regarding modifications are also pretty chill. However, there is really little when it comes to genuinely cheap cars (the Chevrolet Spark comes to mind but not much else). The 25-year import rule also plays spoilsport.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 26th November 2022 at 18:36.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 18:25   #8
BHPian

I would not vote for India where adding mere Bull bar is an offence compared to USA where a variety of modifications are permitted. Again, your Car and driving habits may be safe, but an ill maintained vehicle having a break down in the middle of the road can prove harmful. Driving in India is no more a pleasure now, but more of a stress.
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 18:51   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Having driven many different kinds of cars and jeeps and other vehicles pretty extensively across multiple countries, I think it is about a combination of and balance between beautiful evocative driving roads and iconic cars.

Basically the simple enjoyment of pure motoring nirvana can be anywhere at all. It doesn't only have to be somewhere abroad or exotic, which is what Ive tried to illustrate with the pictures attached.

So indeed its a very hard choice for any enthusiast to lock themselves in with.

Some examples;
Imagine purring along in a Triumph TR6 on those beautiful B roads amongst the hills and valleys of the UK or the Isle of Man, with the top down and the lovely exhaust burble for company. Or the same scenario in an Alpine A110 on the Route Napoleon in France. Or in an old convertible Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1961, in the Tuscan hills. Or in a lovely BMW Z4 in the Schwarzwald. A Mini Cooper to Monserrat outside Barcelona. Or driving along Route 66 in a big V8 Ford Mustang. Or along the Tail of the Dragon in the Carolinas in a Porsche 911. Canyon Carving in LA in a Shelby Cobra or a Datsun 240Z. Maybe like our fellow member Karan in a gorgeous mid-engined Porsche 718 along the Furka Pass. Round the Nurburgring in a Ferrari 512 BB or 308 or 328. The Great Ocean Road in an Audi R8 Spyder. Or the Landrover proving ground in England in a Defender 90 or The Namib Desert in a Toyota Landcruiser or the Rubicon Trail or Moab or somewhere in a Jeep Wrangler. And not least - Ooty to Kotagiri or Udumalpet to Munnar or Pollachi to Valparai or Sakleshpura or Coorg in a Cooper or a Thar or old Gypsy. Maybe Dr Tejas’s Off road academy trail in a Thar or Gypsy.

Automotive Heaven means so many things to so many people, that I, for one, simply cannot make any one choice to the exclusion of all else.

I love cars. I love the joys of the internal combustion engine. I love the sound. And I thoroughly love a great driving road. Any great driving road anywhere at all. Doesn't really matter when and where and in what car.
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-d71ba09e90844fad90f7799db000a1de.jpeg  

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-27501675e0104a18832cdd929d50adaf.jpeg  

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-7e8739444fe54ff2810cbadf911bd179.jpeg  

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-122de6b3d8ca403598233da8e2a12a55.jpeg  

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-c4609371da094489ac7f928286bd0c1b.jpeg  

Which is the best country in the world for car enthusiasts?-a870904f15874eff9e16112a9387f270.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th November 2022 at 18:53.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 19:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

This has very much to do with personal preference. I did enjoy our four years in the USA and India. Very different driving experiences all together.

The USA is most about convenience and easy availability of all things motoring. For us it was also cheap. Car prices, petrol, parts are all very cheap compared to Europe.

We did many road trips across many parts of the USA. Each came with its unique scenery and experience.

India was a very different experience. Very much enjoyed it, we saw so many different things we had never seen and or experienced. But Indian traffic can be a real pain in the neck. Of course, I rarely drive our car myself. We had our own driver in Delhi and always had a car with a driver wherever we went. I did drive some 15000 km on my Royal Enfield Bullet.

Driving in my home country the Netherlands has always been a good experience. But of course it is a very small country. But then again I can drive to many other European countries all in one days. So that gives a huge diversity in roads, scenery, culture and so on.

Getting parts for all my oldtimers is very convenient as well as tracking all over Europe to participate in Classic Car events or visit Classic car exhibitions.

So being back in Europe, from a motoring perspective works best for me.

But then again, my cars are just a small part of my interests and hobbies.
Jeroen

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2022 at 05:12. Reason: Word replaced
Jeroen is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 21:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The USA is most about convenience and easy availability of all things motoring. For us it was also cheap. Car prices, petrol, parts are all very cheap compared to Europe.
This is key. Nothing else matters.

1) Low sales tax and import taxes on cars
2) Wide variety of cars to choose from, across different price points.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 16:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would say India is appealing from the terrain and diversity and lately, the quality of highways. However, not from convenience (even hygiene factors like restrooms), or safety (inadequate, inconsistent signages).

From my limited visits overseas, I have been impressed with UK's driving (and car) culture and has been the most relatable to me after India.
Old 27th November 2022, 16:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
This is key. Nothing else matters.

1) Low sales tax and import taxes on cars
2) Wide variety of cars to choose from, across different price points.
Yes, to add
It is not just the sales tax that is low. Here in Europe we often have additional luxury taxes on cars. As an Example; the MRP on my 2002 Jaguar XJR was USD 73500. The same car cost almost Euro 140.000. In 2002 the dollar was worth a bit more compared to the euro, but even so, the difference in car retail price was huge.

And the other thing, in the USA most, if not all cars come fully loaded. No need to worry about which options to get as they are all fitted as it is.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 19:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I would say India is appealing from the terrain and diversity and lately, the quality of highways. However, not from convenience (even hygiene factors like restrooms), or safety (inadequate, inconsistent signages).

From my limited visits overseas, I have been impressed with UK's driving (and car) culture and has been the most relatable to me after India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I would not vote for India where adding mere Bull bar is an offence compared to USA where a variety of modifications are permitted. Again, your Car and driving habits may be safe, but an ill maintained vehicle having a break down in the middle of the road can prove harmful. Driving in India is no more a pleasure now, but more of a stress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Call me biased, but my top choice is still India .

- It's one of the rare countries in the world where you can have a lot of fun with a mere 80 to 100 BHP car.

- Excellent straights now (thanks to expressways), but more importantly, we have amazing mountain roads & curvy highways.

- Road-tripping is so much more fun with the vast greens & sceneries, unique dhabas etc. compared to say, USA where freeways are a snooze-fest with the same road feel and same McDonalds & Taco Bells at rest stops. No prizes for guessing that cruise control was invented & popularized by Americans.
I spent 15+ years odd years as a licensed driver North America, about twenty here in India, and I've had a bit of time behind the wheel (or handlebar) in the islands, Central/ South America, Thailand, and ridden by bike/ car from the Netherlands down to Southern France... There are people here with considerably more experience than me, but agree with much of what's been expressed already.

I do feel it could be useful to distinguish between "car enthusiasm" and travel enthusiasm, which are quite different things for many, and are combined for only a smaller percentage of people. Many love travelling and the attendant joys without cars, and many who love cars never really travel anywhere far from home in them!

I was a total car nut my growing-up years through post-college when employed in a U.S. metro, in thise years built/ restored/ raced a number of cars, everything from Mazda rotaries to MG Midget to 7.5L V-8 classic musclecars to higher-tech Mitsu and Nissan turbos... My enthusiasm in those years totally consumed me despite the fact that I'd seldom travelled very far in them, and when I did (even thousands of miles), it was honestly not for pleasure but conveyance.

In terms of strict "car culture" the U.S. may indeed be hard to beat: As some have already noted you can buy and build serious performance on a shoestring budget and quite legally in most places - which is what I always did (I feel continually "shackled" in India in terms of the "ban" culture): You can moreover commission any number of custom builders to create and build your dream car there; And you can go to cruise nights and drive-ins and dragstrips and swap-meets and car shows and parades all over the place, in small towns and metros alike. The nation was pretty much built up on automobiles and in earlier times was rife with virtually empty state/national highways, not to mention more obscure hill roads such as those I learned to drive on. A lot of car lore there, and in my youth I knew old-timers who had quite a few thrilling tales to tell of their old flathesd Ford builds and local speed-records and (unsanctioned/ impromptu) racing and etc, etc.

You can, btw, also buy new most of the best the world has to offer if you've got the money (or credit!).

However, Montana and in some states country two-lanes aside, speed limits are usually modest there, and unless going offroad (Moab comes to mind), you can get yourself into a lot of trouble with the law pretty quickly if you crave speed. Maybe that's where Germany comes in.

All that said, if we want to speak of vehicular TRAVEL culture, then granted U.S. Interstates are mostly boring (I loved travel there only after leaving, and upon committing myself on visits to longer-timeframe trips on smaller local roads).

And really, if we're talking TRAVEL, then there are just so many places in the world to fascinate and delight. India is amazing culturally / historically and diverse in terms of landscape and people(s), but then, I've driven to / through amazing and I'd say equally satisfying (and less hectic) places in the Andes mountains, in Mexico, in Puerto Rico, etc, etc... Saw some great vintage motorsport racing in the Swiss Alps, for that matter. Never been to Africa but there are some wonders there, and biking in SE Asia seems to be picking up, as well. Not sure most of us can comment here in unbiased manner without having visited and travelled by car and checked out the overall enthusiast scene in every country...

@GTO: Our 1969 MG Midget MkIII put out a measly 65hp, my 1971 Datsun 510 put out about 100, and believe me, the U.S. (and probably most other countries) still has myriad well-paved rural roads on which it is still pure joy to drive something like this or other low-powered vehicles on. Many visitors to many lands never get far beyond the metros / high-speed NH's... and thus miss out on witnessing what is really the larger overall scene - namely everything in-between.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 19:47   #15
BHPian

I mostly agree with the survey findings from first hand experience. I'm surprised that India even figures in the list. Driving in India IMO is (mostly) nightmarish to say the least. Reasons are several as mentioned in some of the earlier posts. Delhi NCR takes the cake - Driving is akin to playing a video game (Gods of War can be a good example). Multiple instances of lawlessness, road rage, parking issues, bumps, bangs etc. can be all experienced any given day. Add to this unpredictable and illogical Policy decisions and ever changing rules. Being a car enthusiast in such circumstances can be a torturous preoccupation.

Last edited by Sidjohri : 27th November 2022 at 19:48. Reason: Grammar
Sidjohri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks