Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 08:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates

With car prices at record-high levels, drivers are holding onto their older cars longer than ever.

A recent study took a deep dive into the high-mileage car market, surveying over two million mainstream vehicles (model sold for at least 10 of those years) going back 20 years to see which brands and models last the longest.

Quote:
analyzed over two million cars produced and sold for at least 10 of the past 20 model years, ranking each model by its highest mileage-achieving cars. All 20 models had at least 2.5 percent of the top-ranking 20 models clear 200,000 miles, and the top 1 percent of these vehicles delivered between 230,000 and 297,000 miles over the last two decades.
And one automaker stands above the rest. That company is Toyota, though it likely comes as no surprise.

Top 20 Greatest Potential Lifespan Cars: Toyota 3-Row SUVs lead the pack:

- The top 20 models with the greatest potential lifespan include 10 Toyotas and three Hondas, along with two Chevrolets, two GMCs, two Fords, and one Nissan.

- 1% of Toyota Sequoias on the road have at least 296,509 miles on the odometer.

- Three-row SUVs make up half of the list, confirming the heavy use these vehicles see and further illustrating the ever-growing popularity of SUVs over the past 20 years.

- And while the top two models are both full-size Toyota SUVs, the newer, more refined Sequoia edges out the iconic and rugged Land Cruiser in potential lifespan, illustrating consumer preference for a more family-friendly utility vehicle.

Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-1.jpg

Greatest Potential Lifespan SUVs:

- SUVs continue to be the most popular vehicle type, with automakers producing – and dealerships selling – more SUVs of varying size and price every year.

- Larger, three-row models offer the most utility, and thus see the highest use.

-But a couple of two-row models make the top 20 list, including the Honda CR-V and Subaru Outback. All of these models have seen high mileage use, clearing between 200,000 and 300,000 miles over the past 20 years.

Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-3.jpg

Greatest Potential Lifespan Pickup Trucks:

Quote:
Pickup trucks often see the harshest use by owners, which makes regular maintenance crucial to extending their life expectancy. But as the mileage numbers indicate below, truck drivers committed to routine maintenance, including regular oil changes, injector service, coolant flushes, and brake pad inspections, can keep these workhorses going long after the factory warranty expires.
Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-2.jpg

Greatest Potential Lifespan Minivans:

Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-4.jpg

Greatest Potential Lifespan Sedans/Hatchbacks:

Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-5.jpg

Greatest Potential Lifespan Hybrids:

Quote:
Most hybrids are relatively new to the market, putting them at a disadvantage against traditional models when considering potential lifespan. And hybrid drivetrains are certainly more complex than standard internal combustion engines.
Yet Prius owners, following proper car maintenance, are potentially clearing 250,000 miles, with Highlander and Camry hybrids not far behind. Better still, all of these models are saving their drivers substantial money on fuel costs.
Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-6.jpg

Greatest Potential Lifespan Electric Cars:
Only two electric vehicles have been around for at least 10 of the past 20 years, though both show potential for long-term durability.

Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-7.jpg

The average age of cars on the road keeps getting older, as technological advancements in today’s cars make them increasingly durable.
Shoppers looking to maximize their vehicle’s longevity should consider a model’s potential lifespan when shopping for their next new car – or new-to-them used or old car.

Quote:
When car shopping for a new or used vehicle, buyers should also remember that, even if they don’t plan on testing a car’s lifespan by hitting the 200,000-plus mile mark, durable and reliable cars also tend to hold their resale value better than the average car.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th November 2022 at 08:12.
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 08:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates

Only two European cars in the list and that too at the bottom of the list in their respective segment and expensive as well. Makes me wonder why we look at European cars the way we do. If this were cars from any other country, we would not hear the end of it.
extreme_torque is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 09:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Expected models in the list with nothing much standing out. BoF SUVs and trucks topping the list, taking the top five spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Only two European cars in the list and that too at the bottom of the list in their respective segment and expensive as well. Makes me wonder why we look at European cars the way we do. If this were cars from any other country, we would not hear the end of it.
Well, they have become increasingly disposable. Have not sat in one or drove one, but the latest W223 S class just screams disposable five year usage car to me, instead of something that one would want to keep for long. Could be said of any car that wants to make Tesla their template.

We look at European cars with awe IMHO because other than pre-2001 private imports, Merc had the field to itself for a long time. The Europeans that came after the turn of the millenium offered solidly built cars with diesel economy which cemented the premium Euro image. And the best Japanese cars that came to our market were for all intents and purposes, economy cars elsewhere. Thanks to our taxation and fuel pricing policies, the lion's share of the luxury cars was cornered by the Europeans. In other markets (car dependent ones) where cars are more crucial for one's livelihood and the downtime required by European cars unthinkable for ordinary people, European cars are more popular for the leasing parties or image conscious ones, than ones looking at high quality interiors or driving dynamics.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 09:38   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
With car prices at record-high levels, drivers are holding onto their older cars longer than ever.

The average age of cars on the road keeps getting older, as technological advancements in today’s cars make them increasingly durable.
Shoppers looking to maximize their vehicle’s longevity should consider a model’s potential lifespan when shopping for their next new car – or new-to-them used or old car.

I am a firm believer in the lasting value of a well maintained car. I am not a subscriber to this wicked concept of ‘planned obsolescence’ and ‘scrappage’ and am not at all a fan of the ‘replacement economy’.
I lament the destruction of perfectly serviceable automobiles under the false pretense of ‘emission control’.

So much so, that for each of my present vehicles, I have ordered the attached stickers. And I most certainly intend to emblazon them on those vehicles.

Call me a Luddite if you will, but it is most definitely better to have longer lasting well engineered vehicles than these disposable pieces of electronic junk they are churning out these days.

‘Je Suis Ecolo! Mais Certainement!’
Attached Thumbnails
Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates-9d379d250ec041c886ba9d2ebd26c9a3.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:53   #5
BHPian

Only read this and be envy of great Cars. In India, everything goes under the Hammer at 15 years age. Courtesy, Indian politicians who do not understand that it is not the body, chassis, differential, interior, gearbox and hundreds of other components that do not contribute to pollution, but the engine - which can be changed or rebuilt. Nah ! it is the entire car that gets scrapped. When needed, even humans do go for kidney, eyes, heart etc. transplant which are quite risky operations for life enhancement.
Then why not allow simple Engine change or rebuilt to certification ?
Amrik Singh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Only read this and be envy of great Cars. In India, everything goes under the Hammer at 15 years age. Courtesy, Indian politicians who do not understand that it is not the body, chassis, differential, interior, gearbox and hundreds of other components that do not contribute to pollution, but the engine - which can be changed or rebuilt. Nah ! it is the entire car that gets scrapped.
Indian politicians are very well informed. Its just that the automobile lobby is so strong that they encourage such laws to scrap perfectly fine vehicles, only to keep their sales registering ringing.
Lalvaz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 17:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

What a clean sweep by the Toyota-Lexus family. What a remarkable testimony to their engineering excellence. 26 of the 79 spots a full third occupied by a Toyota-Lexus product in a field with 67 major car brands world wide. This engineering excellence has come about by meticulous attention to detail in both design and production and creating a culture where the junior most worker can halt the entire production line if he/she spots an error. For sheer trouble free service over a car's lifetime Toyota is the make to bet on.

- Happy, stress free owner of a ES300h and till recently a Camry.
V.Narayan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 17:58   #8
BHPian

So its mostly truck based chassis cars that have the longevity. They are certainly built tough ! Its also because trucks (SUVs) are held on to longer. They dont need to upgrade them for features and basic functionality is always working.
Old 30th November 2022, 22:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

After extensive research across our little home fleet I can report that the Jeep Cherokee has the highest potential at 350000km in 24 years. The Jaguar XJR comes in at a well deserved second place with 295000 km in just twenty years.

Both still going strong and used almost daily.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 08:26   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Top 20 Cars with the greatest potential lifespan | Toyota dominates

Great list and a lot of them are expected brands / cars. Interestingly though, not much of a difference between car no.1 & car no.20. More than the model, what will really count on this list is how you maintain the car.

From the Indian perspective, we get bored of our cars way before their end-of-life stage. That's why the average Indian changes cars at the 5-year mark, BHPians do at the 10-year mark (Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?) & a few go on to 15 years or more. I have sold perfectly running cars (Civic, Vtec, C220) more because I felt I've used them enough and it was time for an upgrade.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 08:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

It would be interesting to make a similar list of cars and two wheelers in India.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 08:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
So its mostly truck based chassis cars that have the longevity.
The survey is skewed due to the change in purchase preferences in recent times. It was quite common to hear a 200,000 run Honda or Toyota mid and full size sedans (i.e Civic, Corolla, Camry, Accord).

I have a good friend who clocked 198K in his 2007 Accord before he sold and another former classmate who just clocked past 175K in his 2015 Sonata.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 09:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The survey is skewed due to the change in purchase preferences in recent times. It was quite common to hear a 200,000 run Honda or Toyota mid and full size sedans (i.e Civic, Corolla, Camry, Accord).

I have a good friend who clocked 198K in his 2007 Accord before he sold and another former classmate who just clocked past 175K in his 2015 Sonata.
Most people dont even hold on to their cars. They keep buying newer ones since its easier to acquire a car in US.

My 1995 Accord Ex was at 210000 miles when I had to sell before I moved back couple of years ago. This was the only one I held on to. Only EX trims had VTEC at that time

Cars I let go at the earliest were the Germans. Lease and swap them for latest ones

Last edited by PreludeSH : 1st December 2022 at 09:44.
Old 1st December 2022, 10:06   #14
BHPian

Was this a world survey or only western countries.

I am surprised cars like the Indica which seem to be the favourite especially amongst the taxi/cab service guys, does not find a mention.

Going by their owner's business profile, I am sure they clock a huge number of miles in their lifespan.
Old 1st December 2022, 12:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Was this a world survey or only western countries.....I am surprised cars like the Indica which seem to be the favourite especially amongst the taxi/cab service guys, does not find a mention.....Going by their owner's business profile, I am sure they clock a huge number of miles in their lifespan.
This is just for the USA market I believe.

About Indica, any car can hold onto dear life if the owner wants, but will the owner want to? We had an Indicab from 2004 and by 80k kms it had started to literally disintegrate, even after we took meticulous care of it. But once we sold it to our driver, he started doing just the bare maintenance and I believe it was scrapped or sold within the next 30k kms. Look at our roads. You will see more 800s, Omni running than Indicas. The only ones buying old Indicas are those who would want a diesel car at used 800 money. Even Ambassadors and Mahindra jeeps are running for decades, but they are by default choice, not choice.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed