Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2023, 19:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand

Tesla, for the first time, has become the best-selling luxury car brand in the USA, outselling BMW.

According to reports, the electric carmaker recorded 484,351 new car registrations in 2022, translating to a 41% jump compared to 2021. On the other hand, BMW registered a 5.3% drop in sales recording with 327,929 units. Mercedes-Benz came in third with 269,511 units last year, which according to reports, is similar to its sales numbers for 2021.

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-teslamodels1.jpg

Reports also stated that new vehicle registrations from luxury brands were down by 3.5% last year, with just a little over 2 million units.

Tesla managed to outsell all its luxury brand competitors by quite a margin, considering it offers only 4 electric models in its lineup. EV-only sales of BMW and Mercedes-Benz in 2022 stood at 14,000 units and 11,500 units, respectively.

While some do argue whether Tesla qualifies as a luxury automaker, the pricing of its model lineup appears to justify the categorisation.

Source: Automotive News

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 19:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand

Almost all my neighbors have purchased a Tesla in the last year. The 50k$ price range Tesla has really made things easier to decide for a lot of folks especially if they also qualify for tax rebates. Plus in the last year, with Tesla you don't have to haggle and ever talk to a stealership. The user experience alone of buying is inherently superior. The sales success was bound to happen.

While it's classified as a luxury brand, and I really like Tesla's, I've never understood the comparison with the German trio. Tesla's by virtue of their powertrain have comparable performance to German luxury brands, but in terms of fit and finish, interior refinement, luxury appointment etc - they don't really compare. They compare very well on performance and ADAS technology.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 10:58   #3
BHPian

Who would have bet on Tesla to be the highest selling luxury brand when launched in 2009?
Many simply dismissed Tesla as another experiment with non existent charging network. Market has its own dynamics and understanding it is being genius.
For all the bashing Musk takes, I give him the credit for being an idiot and delivering beyond imagination (ex: a reusable rocket!!!)
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 13:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
While it's classified as a luxury brand, and I really like Tesla's, I've never understood the comparison with the German trio. Tesla's by virtue of their powertrain have comparable performance to German luxury brands, but in terms of fit and finish, interior refinement, luxury appointment etc - they don't really compare. They compare very well on performance and ADAS technology.

Exactly my point, they qualify based on the price and performance but I would not call them a Luxury brand by any stretch. Leave aside BMW, even my humble Mazda 3 is miles ahead in interior fit and finish than the Model 3 ( twice the price). It’s a great brand and has had some exclusivity but it’s not a luxury car maker in my eyes at all. Every time I drive one it feels like driving an iPad. That’s about it!
turbowhistle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 09:47   #5

The real reason behind this increase in sales is the lowering of Tesla prices by upto 20%. Globally when most of the carmakers are increasing the price Tesla has gone against the trend and decreased their price significantly. Only the results will show how much this is going to hurt their bottom line.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/202...h=6ad29bfb3a28
Old 20th February 2023, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish View Post
The real reason behind this increase in sales is the lowering of Tesla prices by upto 20%.
This report is based on sales in 2022, for last few years they have been increasing prices before Jan 2023 price cut.

This year they will sell more cars than BMW and MB combined in USA.
Old 7th May 2023, 04:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A few random Tesla snaps!
Attached Thumbnails
USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230506_151819.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230506_151752.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004738.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004727.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004716.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004711.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004646.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004557.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004531.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004434.jpg  

USA: Tesla outsells BMW, Mercedes & Audi | Best-selling luxury car brand-img_20230507_004412.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks