Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2023, 10:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving to UK | Which used car should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I am looking for answers specifically from 320D owners (I think GTO had one) and UK car owners who have a much better experience in car ownership than I do.
Try reaching out to member RSUDARSANAN - he had a E90 generation 320d, in which he did many many miles.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 02:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Quick one.

BMW 320D is for sale within the company I work. One of the employee is selling it and moving for 7 seater car.

The car has clocked 94000 miles and it's 2010 registered. This BMW 320D is an efficient dynamic version and it's a diesel manual.

The asking price is 5k pounds.

I am looking for answers specifically from 320D owners (I think GTO had one) and UK car owners who have a much better experience in car ownership than I do.

I checked MOT and it looks good. There were no major advisories.
Not 320 but I used to drive a 520d. What answers are you looking for?
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 11:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:

I have owner a pre-LCI E90 318d here in the Netherlands and I wrote about it’s maintenance costs in this post (Used Luxury Cars might be cheap to buy, but they are expensive to maintain! Any solutions?).

In general E90s are pretty decent and reliable machines. But you should be careful with the LCI models because the early ones got the first N47 diesel engines which are prone to get timing chain issues and due to the unusual/impractical location of timing chain (firewall side), the whole engine needs to be taken out if timing chain maintenance needs to be done. This can run costly esp. labour costs in western world. You mentioned that it is a 2010 model, so there is a good chance sooner or later this issue will crop up if the car is not maintained well. I would rather suggest skipping this.

From wiki N47 page:

Quote:
T he N47 engine family is prone to excessive timing chain wear and premature failure.[3] Rattling noise from the rear of the engine is indicative of the condition. Timing chain failure may call for engine replacement or a costly repair. The most seriously affected units which require the most extensive repairs were produced from 01.03.2007 to 05.01.2009.[4] However, there have been frequent reports of timing chain failure in 1, 3 and 5 series BMW engines manufactured from as early as 2004 until at least 2011 in diesel versions. At times the failure has resulted in a dangerous cut out of the engine while the vehicle was being driven - sometimes at relatively high speed. A "Quality Enhancement" was issued by BMW for some, but not all vehicles, but has since been discontinued.

Let me know if you have more questions.

PS. : IIRC GTO has a F10 530d

Last edited by carthick1000 : 25th June 2023 at 11:49.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 00:26   #34
BHPian

Hi Folks.

I am based in the UK and soon moving back to India. Selling a mint condition Seat Arona 1.0 TSi SE Edition from 2023 with only less than 4500 miles. Appreciate if you can pass on this to your UK friends and family. Can vouch that it will be a worthy companion for years to come.
No scratches or anything.
Seat Arona 1.0 TSI SE Edition
5 speed manual
Grey with black roof
Features - Android auto, apple carplay, cruise control, automatic emergency braking, auto led headlights, touchscreen infotainment.
2023 plate with only 4500 miles.
Showroom condition with 2 keys

Cheapest one on auto trader is 15250 GBP and I am willing to sell at 14499 GBP.

@Mods: Posting here and not on classifieds as I think the classifieds are for India. Hope that is ok?

Last edited by M5_fan : 27th February 2024 at 00:27.
M5_fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 09:02   #35
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am moving to Cambrige in June along with my family (wife and 1.5 year old son). I am thinking of getting a used car and was skimming through this thread. Lot of useful info here! I am thinking of getting a used car. From th forum, I understand that insurance cost will be very high. Any website, where I can get the quotes for indian licence ?

Quote:
Yes, I did.
Can you share which car you bought and the buying experience? Please do share the cost breakdown also -insurance, tax etc
Old 13th April 2024, 10:25   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
Hi guys,

Can you share which car you bought and the buying experience? Please do share the cost breakdown also -insurance, tax etc
I believe Liverpool Victoria provide good quotes. Cambridge discourages car ownership. Consider commuting via a bike or public transport if possible + a small runabout for your wife - Fiesta/Polo/Civic. Identify a decent car hire company for a family car. Might offset the initial high premiums until you have a decent driving record, then buy something fun.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 12:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I believe Liverpool Victoria provide good quotes. Cambridge discourages car ownership. Consider commuting via a bike or public transport if possible + a small runabout for your wife - Fiesta/Polo/Civic. Identify a decent car hire company for a family car. Might offset the initial high premiums until you have a decent driving record, then buy something fun.
This is excellent advice! My wife is from Cambridge and it's 100% a cycling focused city. The flat terrain really helps in that regard too. Like Ajmat I'd also recommend getting about by bike or cycle. And if you must have a car, go with a small runabout. All the options listed above are what I'd recommend as well, maybe throw in a Yaris too for consideration.

On the topic of insurance you can search on Compare The Market and other aggregator websites but like Ajmat says I think you'll be saddled with really high premiums. Trying to recall, I don't think I got many options when I looked out of curiosity using my Indian license. If you can make do with a hire car till you get your UK license that might be a prudent option. You'll have to run the numbers of course. Will say this though, insurance premiums have been making the news here for how high they are particularly for new drivers so it might be the case that either way it'll be expensive.

Good luck with the move and on your search! Cambridge is a lovely city
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 05:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
Hi guys,

I am moving to Cambrige in June along with my family (wife and 1.5 year old son). I am thinking of getting a used car and was skimming through this thread. Lot of useful info here! I am thinking of getting a used car. From th forum, I understand that insurance cost will be very high

If you buy the car and take the insurance using the Indian license then insurance cost will be 800-1000 GBP. But if you take insurance on a new UK license then you are treated as a new driver and insurance cost is 1400-1700 GBP (talking about normal everyday cars like VWs, skodas, hondas etc.)

So it seems that on an Indian license you save a lot. But there is a catch. You definitely need to get your UK license within 365 days else on the 366th day you won't be able to drive. Practical driving test dates have a waiting period of 4-6 months. So be cognizant of that. Indians usually don't pass it in the 1st go.
M5_fan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks