Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 18:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Daytime Running Lights reduce the risk of accidents by almost 9%, says new study

According to a new study conducted in Melbourne, Australia, by the Monash University Accident Research Centre, vehicles are more likely to avoid a visibility-based crash if they have automatic daytime running lights (DRLs) fitted.

The study found an 8.8 per cent reduction in risk with a car fitted with DRLs, especially at higher speeds and during dawn and dusk periods.

Daytime Running Lights reduce the risk of accidents by almost 9%, says new study-drl.jpg

The data used in the study is said to be based on police-reported crash incidents that occurred between 2010 to 2017. The data even provided vehicle information, including the VIN, allowing researchers to determine which car had DRLs using the spec sheet.

The reports also suggested that in daytime conditions, the risk of a crash was reduced by 7.6% with DRL fitment. However, this percentage jumped to 20.3% during the dawn and dusk periods. It also stated that the highest risk reduction estimate associated with DRLs was 23.8 per cent for crashes which take place either at dawn or dusk with speed limits above 75 km/h - Clearly pointing out its effectiveness.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Daytime Running Lights reduce the risk of accidents by almost 9%, says new study

In India this % should be quite lower, considering our tropical weather.
07CR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 19:19   #3
BHPian

Re: Daytime Running Lights reduce the risk of accidents by almost 9%, says new study

Agree with 07CR. India receives way too much sunlight for DRL's to make a difference. It's more of a design element distinguishing the top variant of cars at the moment and to an extent performance bikes. This is one feature which has been adopted by the car manufacturers from West without much utility ignoring so many more important feature/safety emphasis.
Old 17th April 2023, 19:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Actually the other way around. We have the most penny wise and pound foolish people who drive without headlights at night. I don't even need to mention about driving in rains.
narayans80 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 20:05   #5
BHPian

I’m of the opinion that DRLs should be made mandatory in India. The 2017 rule for 2-wheelers must have reduced a good amount of accidents. It’s SO MUCH more easier to spot a bike/scooter in the rear view mirrors especially in traffic dense urban roads where riders are zigzagging around cars, overtaking from both sides etc. eg. Kerala.
DRLs significantly improve our ability to spot other vehicles in our peripheral vision making it safer for everyone.

Last edited by TSIboy : 17th April 2023 at 20:11.
TSIboy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The reports also suggested that in daytime conditions, the risk of a crash was reduced by 7.6% with DRL fitment.

If you need DRLs to spot oncoming cars in broad daylight you shouldn't be driving.
Maky is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 22:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I feel it will be much higher. We have way too many people who drive around without headlights. Especially 2 wheelers. With DRLs or mandatory headlights this makes the situation much safer.

There is ofcourse another issue that exists because of DRLs. There are many who dont turn on headlights because DRLs are there
Old 18th April 2023, 08:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Agree with 07CR. India receives way too much sunlight for DRL's to make a difference. It's more of a design element distinguishing the top variant of cars at the moment and to an extent performance bikes. This is one feature which has been adopted by the car manufacturers from West without much utility ignoring so many more important feature/safety emphasis.
For context, DRLs aren't mandated by law in Australia. However, even the cheapest cars have them anyway. It is true that Australian environmental conditions are quite different from the Scandinavian countries. Speaking from my personal experience, numerous reports from EU and this report from Australia, I believe DRLs are a very simple and cheap way to reduce the risk of visibility based crashes in daytime.

Automakers have been creative with their implementation of DRLs and that's an added bonus. They are signature design elements in most cases.

As far as India is concerned, there are many more fundamental changes required along with DRLs. I don't even know where to start when people are driving without headlights at night or are crashing into oncoming vehicles with 100% knowledge that a big piece of metal is hurtling toward them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
I’m of the opinion that DRLs should be made mandatory in India. The 2017 rule for 2-wheelers must have reduced a good amount of accidents. It’s SO MUCH more easier to spot a bike/scooter in the rear view mirrors especially in traffic dense urban roads where riders are zigzagging around cars, overtaking from both sides etc. eg. Kerala.
DRLs significantly improve our ability to spot other vehicles in our peripheral vision making it safer for everyone.
+1.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 08:43   #9
BHPian

You know where DRL's are really useful? In finding those bikers or luna guys who suddenly appear on your rear view side mirrors just when you are about to turn left or right.

DRL's for 2 wheelers are very very useful.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 08:51   #10
BHPian

I for one, am happy that the govt made DRLs mandatory at least for two wheelers. No matter how sunny the weather in India, if DRLs reduce accidents by even 1%, I believe they have done their job. There have been numerous occasions when I have spotted bikes only because of DRLs especially when suddenly entering areas covered by trees after driving into the sunlight for long periods. Your eyes take a few seconds to adjust to that change in light intensity and DRLs are really helpful in spotting oncoming traffic. This happens often when driving in Kerala where there is vegetation on roadsides everywhere except on the sides of National Highways. Plus the numerous times I avoided crashing into idiots who don't switch on their headlights even when its way past sunset. Now if only the govt made it mandatory for manufacturers to give RED Led DRLs in the back of two wheelers also. A major portion of them are running with burnt out halogen tail lights (especially vehicles from Honda).
windrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The AHO in two wheelers have sure helped in visibility and in reducing accidents, but almost all keep them on hi-beam. Especially Activas. The new fangled LED lights are so useless to the riders that they keep it on hi-beam all the time. Even then it is useless at night for the riders, yet does it maximum to irritate other road users. Guess what, they don't keep it on low-beam during daytime and even at noon with harsh sunlight, the Activa LEDs manage to irritate one throught the ORVMs. But yeah, safe and they are visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Now if only the govt made it mandatory for manufacturers to give RED Led DRLs in the back of two wheelers also. A major portion of them are running with burnt out halogen tail lights (especially vehicles from Honda).
Don't know whether it is low quality parts or the fact that they are more exposed to the elements, but half of the motocycles on the road have their tail lights not working. So much that, for me right now they are as big a hazard on road as wrong side riding.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:07   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
If you need DRLs to spot oncoming cars in broad daylight you shouldn't be driving.
Not really, Maky. That's a grossly incorrect comment. Research has time & again proven that DRLs improve your vehicle's visibility to others in several situations. Example, if a car is behind you or on your side, its DRLs in your IRVM / ORVM will improve its presence to you.

I have practiced DRLs even before the term was coined. In the 2000s itself, I started driving on the highway with my low beam on, during the day.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really, Maky. That's a grossly incorrect comment. Research has time & again proven that DRLs improve your vehicle's visibility to others in several situations. Example, if a car is behind you or on your side, its DRLs in your IRVM / ORVM will improve its presence to you.

I have practiced DRLs even before the term was coined. In the 2000s itself, I started driving on the highway with my low beam on, during the day.
I would have thought the large few feet high and wide vehicle in ones rear or side view would be sufficient during daytime, but fair enough if it genuinely serves a functional purpose beyond just cosmetic appeal then that's great
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:19   #14
BHPian

I drive long distances around 5-6 pm when light starts to fall. There are SO MANY invisible cars on the road, because it's not dark enough for them to turn on their headlights yet, but their silver or grey color schemes match the asphalt road to the point that they fully blend in.

This is in contrast to around post-8 pm when everyone will have their high beams on all the time. Driving in India is a disaster after 5 pm. Hopefully, tech can be a solution and cars with auto-high beam assist will become the norm. But that will take a long time, and I and my eyesight will continue to suffer in the meantime.
pepega is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:57   #15
BHPian

In India, if someone wants to be extra safe during dawn & dusk, they can simply switch on their park lights (not hazard indicator lights). The ones before low beam on the indicator stalk / knob.

Even fog lights are not necessarily required in most driving conditions, expect in parts of North & North East India, that also in winters. There are exceptions though like the Nilgiris, & other hill stations in various states like Mahabaleshwar, Darjeeling, etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks