Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 01:38   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Its a tragedy that the country that once ruled India,will have two of its iconic brands owned by Indian's.
I think it is an irony, not tragedy. I don't see why it is a tragedy from an Indian pov.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:12   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

If there is any tragedy it is that UK no longer has a car industry.

What was that about Thatcher 'nationalising' Jag? She loathed the very word! I don't think she did --- but the complex history of that group of companies is well beyond me.

T E George is a very highly respected journalist, and certainly I have a good deal of respect for him. I read that article with some sympathy, until I got to the bit about Tata.

Disclaimer: I'm a brit, but I've owned a Tata car in India, don't particularly want to repeat the experience, and simply cannot take seriously the idea of tata producing top-brand, high-quality, high-finish cars. It has nothing to do with Tata being Indian, but everything to do with the cars that they produce.

But then... Things change: it is not so long since Europeans could not take seriously the idea of Skoda making quality cars. Anything is possible.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:17   #168
Team-BHP Support

I would look at TATA's role being an investor in JLR as opposed to actually getting their hands dirty. True they might explore synergies with local assembly and parts sourcing in the long term.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:30   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I think it is an irony, not tragedy. I don't see why it is a tragedy from an Indian pov.
Tragedy from the English point of viev.Isn't it a tragedy for them?
Old 19th December 2007, 10:08   #170
Team-BHP Support

Well, ownership of JLR is just going from one colony to another.
The Brits are divided in their opinions. While some are moaning ( and probably even wearing black), others feel that in 10 years time, Tata will have learnt to build good cars and urinated all over Ford. Though Ford did a lot to rescue Jaguar, they did mismanage the brand too.
I fear Tata might lose a lot of money if things don't work out as expected, but, no war can be won without taking risks. All the best, Ratan.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:01   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
While some are moaning ( and probably even wearing black)
Leading them will be Jeremy.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:30   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Good story. On a similar not I know of an NRI who held a senior position. He went to India with one of his assisstants who was white. Those sent to pick them up from the airport treated the white chap as a god, offering to carry his suitcase etc whilst they ignored the indian. Even the white chap was embarrassed that his boss was being treated like that.
How many of you saw the news report about Jet Airway's Indian pilot's protesting and threatening to go on strike because the company was paying double salary and giving better perks to the foreign pilots? And then we Indians complain about racism.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:43   #173
Senior - BHPian

Tata's bid is $2.05 Billion and Mahindra's at $1.9 - Billion.
Guess Tatas will celebrate the New Year in style.

source: Tata bids over $2.05-bn for Jaguar-Land Rover; M&M at $1.9 bn- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 19th December 2007, 12:36   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
This guy is extremely biased and rascist towards Caucasian people IMO.
Yes he is.

Sometimes one has to shout to have a different POV heard over the din of conformity.
Old 19th December 2007, 22:19   #175
BHPian

How dare he talk about racism in top management of american firm? He must be a racist himself. There is no racism in this world guys and gals... none at all. You may be called macaca or a monkey or a curry dude, but its all out of love only
Old 19th December 2007, 22:39   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Tragedy from the English point of viev.Isn't it a tragedy for them?
Tragedy? Well they made crappy cars, and they got shafted out by the reliable Japs and European brands. They got what they deserved. Plain and simple forces of market here. On Youtube there was a video (its no longer there) by JC on how the British car industry died.

Hey but the British car industry still has some pride man! The company that makes the London taxicab is apparently still British.

And the article by TJ George, well it is true. And how is he a racist when he is just pointing out the facts? I support him.
Old 19th December 2007, 23:00   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
And the article by TJ George, well it is true. And how is he a racist when he is just pointing out the facts? I support him.
In other places, a person who speaks passionately for his country and against those outside is called a Conservative/Neocon/Rightist.

In our country we term him racist. God help us!
Old 20th December 2007, 00:42   #178
Team-BHP Support

Why all this hue and cry about racism. It exists everywhere, be it west, or east, India or China. Everybody is a racist. Thats why I mentioned "Pot calling the kettle black". People writing all these articles ignore the real issue.

I think this thread should focus more on what this deal means for Tatas. Will they bouy the dead, or will Jag and Land rover take Tata(read stock prices) to the bottom of the ocean with them.

As of now the stock market isn't too happy with Tata getting these brands. The market feeling is that the time for these two white elephants is over, and when they fall, they will injure everybody who's near.
Old 20th December 2007, 15:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

Ford will announce the sale to Tata tomorrow.

source: Ford to announce Jaguar-Land Rover sale to Tata on Friday- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

OT: I am happy that Tatas have done it and given me the chance to post my 100th post

Last edited by safari_lover : 20th December 2007 at 15:17.
Old 20th December 2007, 15:32   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The market feeling is that the time for these two white elephants is over, and when they fall, they will injure everybody who's near.
As long as the people running the company are the same,Jaguar will do well,the XK,XF are suberb cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks