Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 19:49   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Tata Motors has bagged the bid for Land Rover and Jaguar.

Moneycontrol India :: News :: Tata Motors bags Jaguar, Land Rover deal: Srcs :: Tata Motors :: Business :: Tata Motors ,Land Rover ,Jaguar,Ford

Mods please change the title of the thread
LOL dude you shocked me for a moment.
Its not true this whole deals going to take a while.
Old 26th July 2007, 20:42   #47
BHPian

even I was shocked because when I posted it, money control website stated that "Tata Motors has bagged the bid for Land Rover and Jaguar" but now they say "Tata Motors may have inched closer to bagging the deal for Land rover and Jaguar".

According to IBNLive, Ford is expected to announce the results of the bidding on Thursday after the announcement of its second quarter results.

Link: IBNLive.com > Big deal: Tatas set to bag Jaguar, Land Rover : tata motors, ford, jaguar, Land Rover, takeover
Old 28th July 2007, 00:54   #48
BHPian

CNBC-TV18 has learnt that Ford favours Tatas in the Jaguar deal, but the Labour Union holds the key.
Sources said that the Tata bid is likely to be in the USD 2-2.5 billion range. Union consensus is needed to seal the Jaguar, Land Rover deal. According to sources, the agreement has a five-year no-retrenchment and no closure clause.

Source:http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/ne...c/00/45/294976
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 28th July 2007, 10:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

so Tata is on its way.The thing about 5 yr clause, does this mean, these machines cannot be produced anywhere outside Britain say in India at all?
Old 28th July 2007, 12:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Any one has latest update on this front?
Someone says the deal is thru, the unions have cleared Tatas, with some riders, and its a 3 way deal!!
Old 28th July 2007, 12:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

It's not going to happen anytime soon. This is a long process and newspapers report that Tata officials are going to start due diligence very soon. Anyway, what I am concerned about is what happens after Tata buys these companies? Shelling out over a billion dollars is just the beginning of the story. Both these companies are struggling and to top it are high end luxury brands. Does Tata have a couple of billions of dollars more to resurrect both these brands?
Old 28th July 2007, 13:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

I also heard that M & M and Tata were the 2 front runners for the deal. M & M ?? Any one has more info on that. I guess it was on the moneycontrol website.
Old 28th July 2007, 13:25   #53
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, even though I'm a Jaguar fan, I think the Tatas are making a big mistake by buying the company. Jaguar is in real trouble and may not survive. Turning it into a profitable business will require a lot of fresh thinking, money and hard work. Many all new models will have to be introduced to prop up sales of Jaguar cars. Acquiring Land Rover might be fruitful though.
Old 28th July 2007, 14:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Honestly, even though I'm a Jaguar fan, I think the Tatas are making a big mistake by buying the company. Jaguar is in real trouble and may not survive. Turning it into a profitable business will require a lot of fresh thinking, money and hard work. Many all new models will have to be introduced to prop up sales of Jaguar cars. Acquiring Land Rover might be fruitful though.
I am beginning to think that both M&M and Tata have trained their guns on Land Rover and may dispose Jaguar at a later date. I wish I could pick Ratan Tata's brains...

One thing is for sure though. IF Tata do go ahead, they would need a lot of help from their Italian friends for engine technology or might have to ring Ford for their engines and a whole lot else!
Old 6th August 2007, 14:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Those submitting bids are believed to be India’s Tata Motors Ltd. and Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., and Korea’s Hyundai.
Ford wants to sell it off by Sep 30 and is planning to sell volvo by year end.
Old 7th August 2007, 16:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

tata's are the front runners for the purchase, i have'nt heard of M&M being anywhere. maybe i'm wrong M&M would deffinately beneift from the landrover deal as its their forte. yeah volvo goes for sale by the year end. hope it is picked up be fiat for thier ferrari or masseratti brand. even BMW would be a hot favrite to take it over
Old 7th August 2007, 21:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Sources said that the Tata bid is likely to be in the USD 2-2.5 billion range.
where would the TATAs get that kind of money, I heard in the chorus deal, TATAs pooled money from all the TATA companies(TCS had lot of money). Did they not touch the TATA motors kitty??

raj.
Old 7th August 2007, 23:18   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
where would the TATAs get that kind of money, I heard in the chorus deal, TATAs pooled money from all the TATA companies(TCS had lot of money). Did they not touch the TATA motors kitty??

raj.

This is a fraction of the $12 billion that Tata Steel paid for acquiring UK-based steel-maker "Corus". Besides Land Rover is already making money, Jaguar is the only challenge.

Last year Tata Tea bought a 30-per cent stake in Energy Brands for $677 million, in what was the largest overseas acquisition by a private sector Indian company. The deal values the company at $2.3 billion.

No doubt that the Land Rover and Jaguar deal would be expensive. But it would surely bring Tata into the ranks of global car makers and open several new opportunities.

Hope Tata Motors clinches the deal and make the Indians proud.
Old 7th August 2007, 23:51   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Last year Tata Tea bought a 30-per cent stake in Energy Brands for $677 million, in what was the largest overseas acquisition by a private sector Indian company. The deal values the company at $2.3 billion.
Glaceau now values at $4B after Coca Cola aquired it. TATA sold its 30% share and made a heft $500+ million profit from it, all in 8 months. I bought one bottle of Glaceau when TATA owned a share in that company but not going to spend a buck fifty on that drink now.
Old 8th August 2007, 00:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
TATA sold its 30% share and made a heft $500+ million profit from it, all in 8 months.
Yes Tata Tea sold its 30% stake to Coca-Cola for $1.2 billion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks