Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 16:09   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
I feel that unless Tata's significantly outbid OEP it is going to go OEP's way. Reason is the Ex Chief Executive of Ford. He can tilt the deal in OEP's favor and Ford is known to have shown an inclination towards OEP
Ummm....Jac Nasser and Bill Ford aren't exactly best buds. Jac was unceremoniously kicked out when Bill wanted to take over and that has never sat well with Jac. Bill blames Jac for all of Fords problems including UAW / PAG etc.. I am pretty sure there is going to be no tilting due to "contacts" and "source" in this situation. What will take it is the most cash on the table and that where OEP has the upper hand.
Old 30th October 2007, 16:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

time will tell friends!! Nasser offcourse has a hard ground to make for support from management and Tata's have the money power behind them!! aka Corus.
Old 30th October 2007, 18:29   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
That said wouldn't it be wonderful if Tata actually outbid OEP and win the deal!

Sure, yes!!!

I am hoping for a Tata victory here.
Old 31st October 2007, 17:01   #79
BHPian

Tell me one thing . . . . .

If Tata buys Jaguar and if Bajaj buys Triumph . . . .
Will these vehicles be available in India at the same cost that they are available abroad, ie without custom duties and other taxes ??
Because they'd be owned and sold by Indian companies ??

NOW . . . . .

If that does happen, the Jaguars and Triumphs would sell like hot cakes as they would be priced about half of the competitors and would be total value for money. Considering the current economic boom in India and the volume of sales possible, Tata & Bajaj would laugh all the way to the bank and the 'sick' acquired companies would flourish. In fact there might be long waiting periods to buy these reasonably priced exotic machines. This might prompt some more accqusitions and we would soon be spoilt for choice.

Now is that my imagination running wild, or is this really possible ?!

Last edited by bikefreak : 31st October 2007 at 17:17.
Old 31st October 2007, 18:47   #80
BHPian

Quote:
available abroad, ie without custom duties and other taxes ??
I doubt it.

Even then the cars will still be manufactured outside India. So probably same import duty will apply.
Old 31st October 2007, 20:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
I doubt it.

Even then the cars will still be manufactured outside India. So probably same import duty will apply.
yes i thinks where cars are manufactured is more important not who owns it
if its a foreign company manufacturing cars in india than i wont be taxed but if an indian manufactures cars abroad those cars are liable for custom duty

so you see its where the cars are manufactured is important and not by whom
Old 31st October 2007, 20:41   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
Will these vehicles be available in India at the same cost that they are available abroad, ie without custom duties and other taxes ??
Customs duties are for imports; excise duties are for cars manufactured in India. Currently, customs duties for imported automobiles are in stratospheric realms. As alredy pointed out, imposition of customs duties happens when cars are imported, and has to be paid whoever imports the cars. So ....

Quote:
If that does happen, the Jaguars and Triumphs would sell like hot cakes as they would be priced about half of the competitors and would be total value for money. Considering the current economic boom in India and the volume of sales possible, Tata & Bajaj would laugh all the way to the bank and the 'sick' acquired companies would flourish. In fact there might be long waiting periods to buy these reasonably priced exotic machines. This might prompt some more accqusitions and we would soon be spoilt for choice.

Now is that my imagination running wild, or is this really possible ?!
...yes, you are day dreaming about the prices; but not aout the long waiting ques and hot cakes.
Old 3rd November 2007, 21:03   #83
BHPian

Tatas may take over Land Rover, Jaguar Update on Nov 3rd.

Not sure what will be the benefits to the seller/buyer and us as automobile consumers, but sounds a great news to us indians. The deal will go thru in favour of Tata's in two months or so it seems.

"Less than a year after acquiring Anglo-Dutch steelmaker Corus, Tata Group appears close to taking over the reins of Ford's British marques - Land Rover and Jaguar, for which it is believed to have submitted a detailed offer of more than $2 billion..."

Courtesy : Tatas may take over Land Rover, Jaguar

I am just worried what will happen to Jaguar's reputation and of course what ever LR has still. Then obviously, what we indian customers will get out of this deal immediately and over time....?

Last edited by sgmuser : 3rd November 2007 at 21:05.
Old 4th November 2007, 05:45   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Courtesy : Tatas may take over Land Rover, Jaguar

I am just worried what will happen to Jaguar's reputation and of course what ever LR has still. Then obviously, what we indian customers will get out of this deal immediately and over time....?

Has Aston Martin suffered with Kuwaiti ownership?
Similarly, Lotus under Proton ownership?

With this, Tata will get upgraded R&D ownership. JLR can expand and help develop our cars and Tata can execute labour intensive protoyping ang testing

Tata's are the current favourites due to their manufacturing experirience, cash reserves and habit of not closing down acquired plants without a good reason
Old 4th November 2007, 07:28   #85
Senior - BHPian

There was a news in today's HINDU regarding the same.

What if tata decides to manufacture some of the cars here, wont that get rid of the excise duties?

IF a car is imported as knocked down unit would the excise duties be still applicable?
Old 4th November 2007, 09:05   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Now is that my imagination running wild, or is this really possible ?!
.. Now, those are some wild thoughts !

Last edited by condor : 4th November 2007 at 09:06.
Old 7th November 2007, 16:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Tata Group appears close to taking over the reins of Ford's British marques - Land Rover and Jaguar

I wonder what Jermey Clarkson will say in his review for the next generation Jags and LR's .

I say this because JC has always been very critical of anything non-European.
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Tata bid for Jaguar, Land Rover boosted

Tata bid for Jaguar, Land Rover boosted

Unions back offer, say Tata would be best suited to manage the luxury brands if Ford sells them - reports.

November 22 2007: 7:23 AM EST

LONDON (CNNMoney.com) -- Unions at Jaguar and Land Rover are backing Tata Motors' offer for the brands, which are being sold by Ford Motor, according to published reports.

The Financial Times and Wall Street Journal reported that workers at both brands have decided to support Tata's bid over rival offers from Indian group Mahindra & Mahindra and private equity firm One Equity Partners.

The unions prefer to remain part of Ford, but believe Tata would be best suited to manage the luxury brands should a sale go through, the reports said.

Union support could give Tata a boost in winning the politically sensitive deal, the newspapers said.

Reports: Unions back Tata bid for Jaguar, Land Rover - Nov. 22, 2007
Old 26th November 2007, 01:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

More in todays Sunday Times. I still do not understand why Tata or Mahindra want these two white elephants. BMW washed its hands of LR, Ford is now doing the same. What makes Tata think they can get things right ? The only logic I can see is access to technology etc at LR but its a big price to pay to just access technology. I know people who have worked at LR and the mentality of workers there is not compliant with that of a company wanting to make quality products and money at the same time.

__________________________________________________ ________
Tata in home straight for Jaguar and Land Rover - Times Online

TATA, the Indian conglomerate, has moved into pole position in the $3 billion (£1.5 billion) race to buy Jaguar and Land Rover, two of Britain’s most prestigious car marques.
Sources close to the negotiations say that positive meetings last week between Ravi Kant, managing director of Tata Motors, and trade-union and government officials have given the Indian conglomerate an edge over its rivals.
It still faces stiff competition from One Equity, an American private-equity group, and Mahindra, the Indian car group that is bidding with Apollo, another American buyout firm.
It is understood that Ford, the American automotive giant that is selling the two marques, could choose a preferred bidder within the next three weeks. The company is selling Jaguar and Land Rover as a single unit.
function pictureGalleryPopup(pubUrl,articleId) {var newWin = window.open(pubUrl+'template/2.0-0/element/pictureGalleryPopup.jsp?id='+articleId+'&&offset=0 &&sectionName=IndustrySectorsIndustrials','mywindo w','menubar=0,resizable=0,width=615,height=655');}

One Equity’s bid is led by Jac Nasser, a former chief executive at Ford.
While Jaguar is loss-making ? industry sources say it will lose about $500m this year ? Land Rover is having a purple patch. Sources at the bidding teams say they expect the business to make more than $1 billion this year, a remarkable result given the weakness of the US dollar. America is one of Jaguar and Land Rover’s biggest markets.
The sources say that the likely $3 billion price tag will include a one-off payment into the companies’ pension funds. They are in deficit, and negotiations with trustees over the level of the payment are continuing.
Tata Motors is part of the sprawling Tata commercial empire presided over by Ratan Tata, chairman of Tata Sons.
Kant and other bidders met unions and government officials last week.
Sources close to the negotiations said there was still significant uncertainty over the outcome.
“Tata has been a hit with the unions and the government, but there may still be an issue over intellectual-property transfer and, of course, price,” one said.

Last edited by bigman : 26th November 2007 at 01:43.
Old 26th November 2007, 06:25   #90
Team-BHP Support

Note BMW washed its hands of LR as it took whatever technology it wanted from LR once the X series had been developed and it needed cash to dispose of Rover with sweetners

Ford, ideally would keep LR but since the supply chain and various functions are tied to Jaguar, they need to sell both together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks