Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 10:30   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

whoever doesnt appreciate brit humour sarcasm and biting wit will never like clarkson or even, for that matter, tom sharpe or anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
It's not about how ridiculous the things he says are - the wonder is that he can say them and get away with it. You might be outraged that he referred to Mr. Tata as some Indian. You get that into perspective when you see him say that BMWs should have trafficators that do the Nazi salute. People like him are a dying breed.

Besides, Tata shouldn't have bought JLR if they couldn't afford to keep it running in the first place - and that is going OT.

It is Brit humor at its best.
Old 10th May 2009, 11:12   #62
BHPian

You do know that he is an patron of "Help for Heroes", helping war veterans. He loves the army and you just have to see Top Gear episodes where the Royal Navy, RAF and the Army feature prominently.

His "Meet the Neighbours" is also recommended viewing.

If Jeremy Clarkson ruled the world...

Last edited by srijit : 10th May 2009 at 11:14.
Old 10th May 2009, 12:03   #63
BHPian

I for one totally love this guy. He has the gift of GAB and his sarcasm is pretty fun to hear. As others pointed out he is an entertainer and his words should not be taken too seriously. I have also seen him ridicule British car makers by his subtle sarcasm. Infact during the filming of last Top Gear season where one episode was filmed in US he made fun of the US but he himself admitted that he loved all three cars.
Old 10th May 2009, 12:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
He also said while testing the latest Jaguar that 'While Mercedes is owned by mercedes, Jaguar is owned by SOME Indian guy, and now they are asking Britain for money.' and much more on another road test of yet another jaguar. He is a racist.
So he is a racist for referring to an Indian company as some indian guy?? Or for stating the truth about TATA Motors asking British govt some money?? Thats worse than saying Bhajji is a racist for calling Symo a monkey !!

Anyway, He had referred to Tata Motors as Mr Patel. Would you be offended or pleased?
Old 10th May 2009, 15:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
So he is a racist for referring to an Indian company as some indian guy?? Or for stating the truth about TATA Motors asking British govt some money?? Thats worse than saying Bhajji is a racist for calling Symo a monkey !!

Anyway, He had referred to Tata Motors as Mr Patel. Would you be offended or pleased?
Some Brits just cant stomach the fact that average Indians and other Asians in UK roam in Mercs, BMW's and other good cars while most of the Brits use Fords and Rovers. Now it hurts them that the true "Brit" brand is owned by an Indian. Did you know that in a recent survey it was found that the most common surname in UK was Patel. Can't wait for the day when some Patel becomes the PM of UK.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2009 at 01:23. Reason: Post edited. Please dont make sweeping generalizations. Thanks.
Old 10th May 2009, 15:46   #66
BHPian

So it is not Clarkson, but all Brits who are racist I dont think that is the topic discussed in this thread, though.
Old 10th May 2009, 15:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
So it is not Clarkson, but all Brits who are racist I dont think that is the topic discussed in this thread, though.
My mistake. Not all but many like JC. Ex. Steve Slater and other commentators. Stay in England for a while and you'll see that the hatred towards Indians has increased. Now they have realised we're slowly buying everything out.
Old 10th May 2009, 16:01   #68
BHPian

In conclusion: We are all terribly opinionated. The whole bloody lot of us. Let this thread continue ad nausem
I think Clarkson's on TV right now so I'm off.
Old 11th May 2009, 13:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

JC makes the best TV viewing worth it. In a rutt of self obsessed ' car gurus' here is a guy who makes fun of himself, his co-workers, his country and the whole world.

he can crack a joke on India because he also cracks jokes about england, if he can talk about bad japenese cars, he does so about the rovers too.

All in all, he is great entertainment and he always has a POINT (if read between the lines, which makes so much sense).

For me his best suggestion by far has been for F1. This was the time when Ferrari was ruling the track he said to make the sport more dynamic and viewer friendly give the drivers a million dollars everytime they over take.

This is such a brilliant and bizzare suggestion, read between the lines and he might just make sense.

Cheers,
ac
Old 11th May 2009, 13:47   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i remember long back in an episode on tv he was reviewing the cadillac or some such american car - and he simply said "looks like this was designed by someone with a ruler and an HB pencil" - yes, the car looked boxy and was full of straight thick lines - but the whole point was that the observation was so funny! I remember him also saying that while the lexus is supposedly the be all and end all in many ways - "this is a car you buy with your head, not your heart" and that statement is so true! how many of us actually buy a car where the driving force is only "rationale" and not "emotion".

I like Jeremy Clarkson - he makes me laugh.
Old 12th May 2009, 05:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Some Brits just cant stomach the fact that average Indians and other Asians in UK roam in Mercs, BMW's and other good cars while most of the Brits use Fords and Rovers.
If you visit the vandalism thread, you will find that many Indians cant stomach the fact that their fellow citizens drive around in nice cars. And they express this with something nastier than a lil good humoured joke..they leave a permanent mark.

Anyway, all this is wayyy off-topic. For those who want to follow all of Jeremy's published articles, here is a nice link -> Jeremy Clarkson - journalisted.com
Old 12th May 2009, 07:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
If you visit the vandalism thread, you will find that many Indians cant stomach the fact that their fellow citizens drive around in nice cars. And they express this with something nastier than a lil good humoured joke..they leave a permanent mark.

Anyway, all this is wayyy off-topic. For those who want to follow all of Jeremy's published articles, here is a nice link -> Jeremy Clarkson - journalisted.com
When I was studying in UK I had an Audi 80. The local guys there (not fellow Indians) smashed the electric mirrors and scratched the car. On another occasion they deflated the tyres. This was not a good humoured joke. It happened to some of my friends too.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:32   #73
BHPian

Agreed JC is one of the best hosts on TV these days. But I think, the lines/phrases/comments that he makes about the cars are originally written by the script writer for the show? Isnt it? Or JC, JM and RH make their own words on the spot?

I thought like all other TV programs, TG also has a pre-planned script.
The way the hosts present it is a class apart though.
Old 12th May 2009, 22:44   #74
BANNED

I guess it was in 05 or 06 that they won an award for being a non scripted program or something.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:23   #75
BHPian

Top Gear does have a script editor / script supervisor (100 episodes, 2002-2008). Check it out in IMDB.
Also Jeremy followed that announcement by saying that he was working on next weeks script.

Most Viewed