Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 17:33   #91
AVR
BHPian

Re: Jeremy Clarkson against the whole world[compilation]

Reopening an old thread but couldn't resist posting this quote from him about the acceleration of the Ford Fiesta 1.2

Quote:
But by far and away the best thing about this car is this: it is gloriously slow. In a race from 0 to 60, it would be beaten by geology. Put your foot down in fifth at 50mph, and absolutely nothing happens
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 19:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

Without JC's wisecracks, TG would have been just another car show serial.

TG continues to amaze and impress me mainly due to Jeremy's digs.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

JC : S18E4: I am not for capital punishment, but i think they should be shot dead on the spot.

JC: S18E4: If i am a rich man and i have 5 hundred thousand pound, and i am worried about whether i put it i and bank and worry about it going bust, or buy a car...the choice has never been simpler.

cheers,
ac

Last edited by ac 427 : 30th March 2012 at 16:14.
ac 427 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 20:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Watched an old episode of TG on BBC Entertainment today. It was a review of cars in the communist world (they said People's Republic of China, but showed Russian cars)

JC's comment on the roominess of the backseat of a car used by elite politburo members : 'There's enough space here to chop 20 dissidents to pieces ' had me guffawing with laughter.
Old 13th April 2012, 22:52   #95
BHPian

I think BBC need to put a leash on this guy. And most of all I am sick of his blatantly biased reviews about everything British. Face it JC dude - Britain makes average cars at best. And the ones that you can be proud of - RR, JAGUAR AND LANDROVER are in foreign jan. so quit living in the delusions of past grandeur and wake up to the new world. Lol.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:37   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This was in the early 90's. The same episode where he stayed at the Connemara Hotel and covered the Madras Rally for the Blind - where a blind person helps the driver to navigate around the city. Of course, as usual he was as caustic as ever but then, that's part of the fun.
Like someone said, you may love him or hate him but you cannot ignore him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Me too love this guy because his style of presentation is damn good. I remember, long back,on one of his episodes about India in Jeremy Clarkson's Motor World he discribes the various Indian styles of driving. Also along with Homazd Sorabjee as the copassenger in an old Mahindra Jeep he comments "the worst car he has driven in the entire world" refering to one full round of steering wheel play and the notchy gears.

Still one would love to watch his shows.
Old 14th April 2012, 08:47   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
I think BBC need to put a leash on this guy. And most of all I am sick of his blatantly biased reviews about everything British. Face it JC dude - Britain makes average cars at best. And the ones that you can be proud of - RR, JAGUAR AND LANDROVER are in foreign jan. so quit living in the delusions of past grandeur and wake up to the new world. Lol.
Like Silk said, what sells is "entertainment, entertainment, entertainment". That's exactly what Top Gear is all about. Jeremy is just an actor. May be that he writes his own dialogues. I don't consider TG as a serious automotive product/technology show. Among the TG viewers, 10% will get offended by his comments while the 90% have a hearty laugh. I don't think those who get offended will stop watching the show. Because they know very well that they'll have a hearty laugh when JC gets on someone else's nerves.

That brings revenue to BBC. By the time someone actually sues BBC, they can settle the lawsuit by paying 1% of what they earned because of JC.

Good gamble, no?

Last edited by rohanjf : 14th April 2012 at 08:49.
Old 14th April 2012, 09:06   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Like Silk said, what sells is "entertainment, entertainment, entertainment". That's exactly what Top Gear is all about. Jeremy is just an actor. May be that he writes his own dialogues. I don't consider TG as a serious automotive product/technology show. Among the TG viewers, 10% will get offended by his comments while the 90% have a hearty laugh. I don't think those who get offended will stop watching the show. Because they know very well that they'll have a hearty laugh when JC gets on someone else's nerves.

That brings revenue to BBC. By the time someone actually sues BBC, they can settle the lawsuit by paying 1% of what they earned because of JC.

Good gamble, no?
I don't think there are any recorded statistics about the numbers that you mention here and I doubt that they are true. But anyway, point is my major problem with JC is not his rocketeery remarks but the blatant bias that he has against anything non-European in terms of automobiles. I also think that they very conveniently have wet laps for certain cars and dry ones for others. Surprising how often Japanese cars end up with wet laps. And American cars seem to be the devil's own work according to JC.
I couldn't care less about what pseudo-political comments he has to make - just that I want fair and balanced automotive journalism.
Old 14th April 2012, 09:38   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra
I couldn't care less about what pseudo-political comments he has to make - just that I want fair and balanced automotive journalism.
@ZK, if you want "Fair and Balanced" journalism, watch Fox News, not a state owned communist mouth piece like the BBC -.

More seriously, let's recognise that Top Gear is very popular, and if you don't like it, the remote control is always there. The great thing about living in the 21 st century is that you have 150+ channels and at least 8 auto shows on TV to choose from. And for truly fair reviews with a broad mix of views, you are in the right place - all we need now is for GTO et al to start shooting videos of their reviews
Old 14th April 2012, 10:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This was in the early 90's. The same episode where he stayed at the Connemara Hotel and covered the Madras Rally for the Blind - where a blind person helps the driver to navigate around the city. Of course, as usual he was as caustic as ever but then, that's part of the fun.Like someone said, you may love him or hate him but you cannot ignore him.
Glad that you still remember the episode. I remember another one in the same series where he has shown the delivering of an Ambassador to a customer who does the customary Pooja before driving off.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:37   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
I don't think there are any recorded statistics about the numbers that you mention here and I doubt that they are true. But anyway, point is my major problem with JC is not his rocketeery remarks but the blatant bias that he has against anything non-European in terms of automobiles. I also think that they very conveniently have wet laps for certain cars and dry ones for others. Surprising how often Japanese cars end up with wet laps. And American cars seem to be the devil's own work according to JC.
Nope, the 90-10 rule is a generalised statement.

And that's exactly what I meant. It is a made-up show. Purely for entertainment. There is no seriousness in this show. As viewers, we are expected to consider it as entertainment.

However, unfortunately, many viewers are not aware of the true intentions of the show :-(
Old 14th April 2012, 10:59   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
@ZK, if you want "Fair and Balanced" journalism, watch Fox News, not a state owned communist mouth piece like the BBC -.

More seriously, let's recognise that Top Gear is very popular, and if you don't like it, the remote control is always there. The great thing about living in the 21 st century is that you have 150+ channels and at least 8 auto shows on TV to choose from. And for truly fair reviews with a broad mix of views, you are in the right place - all we need now is for GTO et al to start shooting videos of their reviews
I'm surprised you know about the Fair and Balanced :cough: Faux News (pun intended) slogan. Either which way I definitely want a show to give me accurate unbiased info about a subject I love. Pure and simple. And TC and JC need to keep bias out of the picture!! Anything wrong with keeping bias out Hayek?

Last edited by Zkalra : 14th April 2012 at 11:18.
Old 14th April 2012, 11:02   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Nope, the 90-10 rule is a generalised statement.

And that's exactly what I meant. It is a made-up show. Purely for entertainment. There is no seriousness in this show. As viewers, we are expected to consider it as entertainment.

However, unfortunately, many viewers are not aware of the true intentions of the show :-(
People have been watching TC for several decades now and only now has it devolved into a biased showcase for the bygone era of British motoring authority.

I know it's meant for entertainment under the guise of misinformation but frankly all I want is unbiased reviews especially when it comes to the race track.
Old 14th April 2012, 11:35   #104
BHPian

i do enjoy jc's comments and his sense of humour,i never felt he,s biased , he really does dig at british cars too.i have always felt 90% of the human race doesnt want to hear negative comments even if its a reality,the comments he made about driving in calcutta or infact any busy city in india is a real truth and fact,only when you drive on the highways of europe , america or australia you come to know what pathetic roads and highways our country have.
Old 14th April 2012, 12:00   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra
And TC and JC need to keep bias out of the picture!! Anything wrong with keeping bias out Hayek?
Nothing wrong with keeping bias out. But for that watch other shows, not Top Gear. Top gear is a vehicle for JC's over the top views, plain and simple

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks