Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2023, 12:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW car designs to get 'cleaner' in the future, promises design head

Speaking in an interview, BMW Chief Designer, Adrian van Hooydonk, stated that future models from the German car brand would get a cleaner look compared to the current ones on sale.

BMW car designs to get 'cleaner' in the future, promises design head-bmwxm1.jpg

Adrian stated that BMW has "heard the chatter" around its design. He added that the design team has a clear idea of what it's doing, and it isn't just experimenting or throwing things and seeing what sticks; mentioning that it's a "very deliberate process". He stated that if a car's design is liked by everyone at the beginning, it may not 'hold up' in the future. However, if people are sceptical of the car's design early on then, by the mid-cycle update everyone is more likely to agree.

The cars being designed by Adrian and his team now, are expected to be unveiled sometime by 2025/2026 and will stay around till 2033.

Adrian even addressed the grille, stating that, going forward, it will be designed according to the proportions of the vehicle and the expression they want to give it.

Source: Top Gear

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 30th May 2023 at 12:31.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:43   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW car designs to get 'cleaner' in the future, promises design head

To sum this up in one sentence: They broke something that was fixed and now they want to fix something that is broken to a point where people agree that it is fixed enough?

why?
omranga98 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 18:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post
To sum this up in one sentence: They broke something that was fixed and now they want to fix something that is broken to a point where people agree that it is fixed enough?

why?

What a trivial question. Yes, that is how you continue to keep yourself relevant and have a job.

They also want to create designs that people will hate in the beginning and over time give up and start liking them.
naikameya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 01:11   #4
BANNED

Spot on. Exactly, if you can't better the best, then atleast don't spoil it BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
What a trivial question. Yes, that is how you continue to keep yourself relevant and have a job.

They also want to create designs that people will hate in the beginning and over time give up and start liking them.
overtaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:57   #5
BHPian

Adrian Van Hooydonk is great designer he has worked under Chris Bangle for long, I guess he designed good looking cars for BMW. May be he might have tried something different with current design language for BMW which didn't go well with most of them. Under his design leadership I am sure BMW will be back. I vouch for his designs.
Old 31st May 2023, 09:28   #6

BMW was doing so well in their designs but then they decided to ruin it to a point where people give up the hope and just accept what it is. Frankly I don't like any of their new design with those big piggy grills. First they ruined the 7 series, now even the 5 series . I love their previous generation design and am a hardcore fan of BMW but sadly they have now adapted a design language which most people don't like anymore. Seriously I don't like them at all now. Now i feel like they will be left out of the German trio when deciding a car.

Its good to see now they are trying to fix it.

PS: Don't want to start any war, just my honest opinions.
Itachi_Uchiha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
77 He stated that if a car's design is liked by everyone at the beginning, it may not 'hold up' in the future. However, if people are sceptical of the car's design early on then, by the mid-cycle update everyone is more likely to agree.
That's what all modern day game developers are doing, thanks to hostile corporate takeover:
1) Release a broken and unfinished game
2) Charge a full $60 for a unfinished and unusable product
3) Profusely apologise and promise to fix it later through patches
4) Rinse and Repeat

Luckily I can brute-force most of the above using my RTX 4080 and Ryzen 9 5900X.
BMWs are not broken functionally per-se but the design is. I guess my PC can't help with an ugly looking Chinese BMW.

I wish someone up the food-chain kicks the design team really hard and they start making things that look like the E39. Like sci-fi synthwave style E39.
Old 1st June 2023, 13:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi_Uchiha View Post
BMW was doing so well in their designs but then they decided to ruin it to a point where people give up the hope and just accept what it is. Frankly I don't like any of their new design with those big piggy grills.
I agree.... Their designs are overdone with too many elements... just look that the bumpers of the new X1. .... Older BMW designs are timeless and stay relevant for a decade if not more. Now they are too trendy and u will hate it when you see it couple of years later.
Old 1st June 2023, 14:07   #9

This is one way to beat the recession:
Spoil something which is working well in the name of innovation.
Then make a U-turn saying that we listen to what our customer "chatter", and we will now work on new and clean designs

Jokes apart, in my personal opinion, the strength of a BMW is generally not in the looks (few exceptions of course), but it is safely hidden under the hood. As long as they don't screw that up, they will do well. Improved design can become the cherry on the top!
Old 1st June 2023, 14:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDrive View Post
Adrian Van Hooydonk is great designer he has worked under Chris Bangle for long, I guess he designed good looking cars for BMW. May be he might have tried something different with current design language for BMW which didn't go well with most of them. Under his design leadership I am sure BMW will be back. I vouch for his designs.
Adrian Van Hooydonk actually responsible for all the bad BMW designs since 2009 when he took over as Head of BMW Designworks from Chris Bangle. His concept designs for BMW are beautiful like the i8 concept and the production ready supercar that came out of it but the i3 was just ugly. Same can be said about his design for the 7 series. The 2015 and 2019 7 Series had a design which was good and grew on you if you gave it a chance but the current gen 7-series and X7 are just hideous. And the BMW iX suv is just an affront to good design so much so that Design Schools are running lectures on why the iX suv is bad design. Finally, let us not forget that the first time people started crying ''blasphemy'' over BMW's iconic double kidney grill designs it was only when Hooydonk took over as Head of Design. My personal opinion is that his obsession with being overly futuristic and experimentative, his obsession with stuffing too much overcomplicated Tech and AI into a single car and BMW's obsession with the Chinese nuovo-riche market may have been factors for taking such decisions which were deemed ''not BMW'' by the BMW enthusiasts.
bharat.joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 04:29   #11
BHPian

People, or should I say BMW enthusiasts, like to complain about everything.

The reality is that tacky designs and features sell like hell.
BMW's reinvention as a company with Chinese characteristics is a great success story, and not just in China.

Look at the new M2, one of the best recent designs, departing from their other models. And the enthusiasts still came up with non-issues. The risk with tasteful designs and features is that one side will keep complaining as usual while the majority wouldn't buy it because they want something tacky.
Formula1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:12   #12
BHPian

Good Part
Well, Every Car Manufacturer's - Design Department should have the courage to change the design principles of a particular car line up. BMW did the same. The have experimented with every car and its line p since the last few years. They have been experimenting with different car surfaces and graphics. They wanted to create a design which is non-cohesive and sharp - Showing Aggression and Performance. Its like Mitja Bokert is told to design cars for BMW. Its a different direction. Personally, I like where the interior design of BMWS team is heading. Good Tech, Disruptive Design and Luxurious Textures - Sustainable Materials.

Bad Part
The problem with a disruptive design is the lack of cohesion and it starts ageing very soon. With the onset of EVs the ideology of having separate EV and ICE Car models is a hit or miss. You never know what will cannibalize what. Cohesion of design is very important for the car to look great - which BMW lacks at the moment. Remove the Graphical element like the lights and the grill - It will look like a generic Chinese car. Interior Design direction is great, but everything now is a subscription model. That doesn't work.
Old 24th August 2023, 20:29   #13
BHPian

Why does BMW do not manufacture Vans. Is it because Vans cannot be ultimate driving machines? What is the logic?

Most Viewed