Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2023, 16:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW could soon drop the "i" from nomenclature of its petrol cars (e.g. 330i)

According to media reports, BMW could soon be changing the nomenclature for its petrol-powered cars by dropping the 'i' at the end.

The change, although subtle, is expected to be made across BMW's entire passenger vehicle range. This means that the X3 xDrive20i could soon become X3 xDrive20. While the exact reason for the change in nomenclature is yet to be officially announced, reports state that it could be to reserve the 'i' exclusively for BMW's electric range. BMW's electric range uses the 'i' at the beginning, such as the i4, i5, i7 and iX; among a few others.

BMW could soon drop the "i" from nomenclature of its petrol cars (e.g. 330i)-bmwbadge.jpg

Reports also suggest BMW will continue to use the 'd' suffix for its diesel-powered models. Having said that, the carmaker could change the naming format slightly.

The 'i' was first used by BMW in the 1970s as a way to differentiate its fuel-injection models from those using carburettors. However, over time, the 'i' continued and became the norm for its petrol-powered cars.

Source: Drive.com.au

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 5th June 2023 at 16:30.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:18   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW could soon drop the "i" from nomenclature of its petrol cars (e.g. 330i)

It used to be very easy to identify BMW enthusiasts on the road.
i-enthusiast
d-economist
Now that is not possible
Kochikaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 18:26   #3
BHPian

Re: BMW could soon drop the "i" from nomenclature of its petrol cars (e.g. 330i)

Focus on their design team is needed much more than than changing nomenclature.
Don’t know why they are making such changes when it is not even needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks