Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2007, 10:20   #1
BHPian

www.lupo80days.com : 40.4kmpl around the world

I dont know if this topic has been discussed earlier. the news is quite old : news: VW Lupo TDI driving for a record in fuel efficiency

Also see VW Lupo - In 80 Tagen um die Welt
Old 29th July 2007, 16:02   #2
BHPian

This is a nice one! I wonder if such a car would come to India.

Quote:
  • The planned fuel consumption for this test is just 264 gallons, or an average of 78.7 miles per gallon (2.99 l/100 km). If successful, it will set a record for the least fuel used for a car traveling around the globe.
  • The Lupo 3L, 3-cylinder TDI uses a Turbo Direct Injection diesel engine of 1.2 liters displacement, which produces 61 horsepower and 103.25 lb-ft of torque at 1,800 rpm. The Lupo 3L TDI was introduced last year in Europe, becoming the first production car being able to travel 100 kilometers (62 miles) on just 3 liters (0.79 gallons) of fuel.
  • The engine also uses a turbocharger with variable blade geometry, a charge-air intercooler and various friction-reducing designs that have increased the efficiency of this engine to more than 40%, a record value for a passenger car.
  • The Lupo also features an automated direct-shift gearbox with a stop-and-start function. This transmission offers the choice of automatic shifting or clutch-free manual gear changes. In the Economy mode, the engine automatically switches off when the car comes to a standstill with the brakes applied and then instantly restarts when the accelerator is depressed. Additionally, the clutch is disengaged when the accelerator pedal is lifted, so that the Lupo coasts at engine idle speeds, thus saving even more fuel.
I call this sheer wonderful engineering. Great job VW!

A
Old 29th July 2007, 17:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well we all know VW engines are great on FE but even Fiesta TDCi recorded 32 KMPL and Verna CRDi 37.8 KMPL. They being bigger in displacement and size than Lupo.

Overall a nice job by VW.
Old 29th July 2007, 19:06   #4
BHPian

You think this VW test was done in controlled environments like how the Fiesta's was done, which was in a track?? VW's was done around the globe. Most probably it would have been the normal real life road activities.

A
Old 30th July 2007, 13:35   #5
BHPian

You think this VW test was done in controlled environments like how the Fiesta's was done, which was in a track?? VW's was done around the globe. Most probably it would have been the normal real life road activities.

I totally agree with your point.
Old 30th July 2007, 18:42   #6
BHPian

^ Yep! This test conducted by VW sounds more realistic to me and its like, the figures acquired by this test are in our reach, meaning we can achieve them and not those useless figures achieved by Fiesta & Verna where its totally impossible to achieve those in real life activities. Like, who'd want to buy a car, and drive it on a track to achieve those figures.

A
Old 30th July 2007, 20:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes this is the real Milage champion, much like its famed earlier stablemate's (with rear-engine) design brief.

BTW what was the highest speed the car was taken to? Any Idea. Cos even in the real worls, some unrealistic driving can be done to arrive at great figures.
Old 30th July 2007, 21:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Lupo's was VW's answer to the Hybrids but turned out to be quite exoctic.
Its successor is the much simpler VW Polo Bluemotion which does quite a good job. The Fabia that's hitting India will have a lots of ingredients from these 2 cars.
Old 30th July 2007, 23:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
BTW what was the highest speed the car was taken to? Any Idea. Cos even in the real worls, some unrealistic driving can be done to arrive at great figures.
Well I don't have any idea, but then, if we think of the test plan, being Around the world in 80 days, the speed would be quite in 3 digits..

A
Old 31st July 2007, 00:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Well I don't have any idea, but then, if we think of the test plan, being Around the world in 80 days, the speed would be quite in 3 digits..

A
Yeah but there can be infinite number of aspects to it, say for example, always driven behind a truck creating a draft etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks