Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 17:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

UK: 98-year-old gets back in the driver's seat via a young driver program

According to a media report, Don Mitchell, an elderly British man, recently got the opportunity to get back in the driver's seat thanks to a Young Drivers Program.

Don Mitchell, who will be turning 100 next year, gave up his driver's licence when he was 94 due to safety concerns. The soon-to-be centenarian stated that he enjoyed driving for five decades, and it was a heartbreaking moment when he had to give up his licence. However, thanks to the 'Together We Can Initiative by Yorkare Homes, Don was able to get back behind the wheel once again.

UK: 98-year-old gets back in the driver's seat via a young driver program-driving.jpg

The Young Driver Program is a scheme specifically designed to teach individuals under the age of 17 how to drive. The program operates at private venues and offers a safe and engaging way for young adults to gain hands-on driving experience and teach crucial skills like steering, gear shifting, braking, handling junctions & roundabouts and even how to parallel park.

The program has no upper age limit & welcomes individuals of all ages to return to the driver's seat. It has been held for 14 years and has provided driving lessons to over 1.3 million people. However, Don Mitchell is said to be the oldest participant to date. Don was given the keys to a Vauxhall Corsa with dual controls and a fully qualified instructor in the passenger seat.

Don Mitchell stated, "I was delighted to be able to get behind the wheel again, I was heartbroken to give up my license." He further added, "I think I still drove quite safely at 94 but there comes a time when it has to be given up. It was great to check I hadn’t forgotten all of my driving skills – and, like riding a bike, it all comes back to you."

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 19:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: UK: 98-year-old gets back in the driver's seat via a young driver program

No words to exactly put my emotions. Things like this - just make you feel happy to the core. The story is just so simple & heartwarming! I have already thought a couple of times of a time that will inevitably come some day when I won't be able to drive again for one reason or the other. Its a dreadful thought. I think it scares me more than self mortality thoughts, honestly!

Thanks for sharing this story. Somewhere unknown to us, we are actually looking for such simple, honest common-man-life news. They are shockingly rare in today's manipulated, sensationalized & money minded world of high speed.
Happy driving to Don! Enjoy the wheel young man! Godspeed.

Last edited by Reinhard : 21st September 2023 at 19:14.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 20:05   #3

As a 16-year-old, I have (obviously) never sat in the driver's seat. However, reading this post made me feel so enthralled. I firmly believe that being able to drive is an enormously freeing experience. (Wow, this teen must be so wise!)

In all seriousness, I am very excited to get behind the wheel and learn to drive when I'm 18. Let the adulting begin (in a bit)!

Shoury
Shoury A Dasari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 20:09   #4
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Also, one-liner posts are best avoided.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2023 at 09:09.
dmaheshkumar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st September 2023, 21:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

It's awesome to read about the senior citizen getting behind the wheel after a few years of his self imposed "sabbatical". He must have driven many old-timer, British marques.

Not long ago in 2019 Prince Philip at age 97, driving his Land Rover Freelander hit a lady with a kid and another passenger on board on a Kia in Norfolk. The Duke of Edinburgh has apologised to a mother-of-two who was injured in the car crash where he was involved in telling her that he is “very sorry.”

But soon after the Duke of Edinburgh gave up driving.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/p...-a4049731.html

All said and done driving is both safe and unsafe at any age. The driver needs to always have have his or her five senses and sometimes sixth sense in excellent shape.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st September 2023 at 21:02.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 12:46   #6
BHPian

It's absolutely sensational to know that such a senior person getting back to the wheel.

My father is 82 years old and he still drives regularly, never had a chauffeur, moreover, if there are any minor problem with the car he himself fixes them. I and my wife too drive our cars daily to work, we don't believe in chauffers except when we have to attend out of city functions, weddings, programs, etc.

Here wishing all many more years of good life with upteem miles on road.
Toni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 12:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Lovely. Age is just a number and a state of mind.
My 80 year old Father, a retired Tea Planter still drives himself and drives my cars when he visits.
Loves his car. Maintains it to a T. Keeps it squeaky clean.
God Bless!
Some pics of then and now and one when Dad met me halfway in Vellore so that I could deliver the new MRF Perfinza tyres to him for his car.
Attached Thumbnails
UK: 98-year-old gets back in the driver's seat via a young driver program-3a44d610177147598f1d77147817a967.jpeg  

UK: 98-year-old gets back in the driver's seat via a young driver program-img_7959.jpg  

UK: 98-year-old gets back in the driver's seat via a young driver program-img_5196.jpeg  

UK: 98-year-old gets back in the driver's seat via a young driver program-img_7694.jpeg  

shankar.balan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 12:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Bit of a contrarian view, not to stir up anything, or to put the post down, but from personal experience.

There's a reason why motor-skill related activities should have an upper age limit. Because the simple fact is that motor skills and reflexes deteriorate with age.

Now it's certainly heart-warming to read something like this and I too am thrilled that this gentleman got a chance to do something he obviously loves. But reading the article again, looks like this was a one-off thing, to give him a chance to drive again in controlled conditions.

Now about the personal experience, we have a relative who has been driving since the age of 17. Amazing cross-country trips back in the day when cars were unreliable and there were no mobile phones. Very competent driver. But once that person reached their 70s, the lack of awareness and decreased safety were very obvious for anyone in the passenger seat (usually one of the family!), especially at night. Yet, this person was adamant, even after several minor scrapes and confrontations on the road (all 'the other person's' fault!) We family members would plead for them to stop and we were all willing to drive that person around and even pay for a driver. The risk was very real that they would hit and injure someone one rainy night.

Finally, after some incident (none of us know what happened, but there was a rather big dent in the car), an agreement was reached to sell the car and depend on others.

I understand it's hard, I'm damn sure I'll find it hard to stop driving whenever the time comes and I won't see the reality of it myself, and the decision will have to be taken for me. But for a year after that dent, I can tell you the whole family was worried every day that some cop would turn up at the doorstep with questions! Not worth it.

Last edited by am1m : 6th October 2023 at 12:20.

Most Viewed