Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2005, 19:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Well Shan2nu...ofcourse Enzo replaced the F40..but still F40 remains a supercar and once upon a time it was the last thing that Ferrari made..before launching their next supercar...got it?? Dont judge it by the cylinders!
Old 15th February 2005, 19:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Shan2nu...ofcourse Enzo replaced the F40..but still F40 remains a supercar and once upon a time it was the last thing that Ferrari made..before launching their next supercar...got it?? Dont judge it by the cylinders!
Pal, every car company starts with something, every car ever made is the last thing that company made during that period.

Frankly the word supercar has no definition. A supercar can be anything with super capabilities.

Shan2nu
Old 15th February 2005, 19:52   #48
F50
Senior - BHPian

According to me Bugatti Veyron and Merc SLR.

And...... was surprised to see F50 in the list. Dont know for what reasons. Please post it.
Old 15th February 2005, 20:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

I dont "not like" any supercar as such, I think all of them are great acheivements.
Old 15th February 2005, 21:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Pal, every car company starts with something, every car ever made is the last thing that company made during that period.
Pal, every car a company makes isnt a supercar but. Its common term that a powerful extreme car made by a company with racing inputs, excellent aerodynamics, speed is a supercar!!

I have never had any problem differentiating a supercar.
Old 15th February 2005, 21:29   #51
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

during its time the F40 was considered as a supercar. here we are talking of all the supercars. Past and Present.

Abt me not considering the SLR as a supercar, its because in todays time when most (infact all) supercars have atleast 10 cylinders. If the SLR had the 6.5 AMG V12, it would have been a worthy competitor. V8 doesnt put it in the league of other supercars like the Enzo / Carrera GT / Murci etc etc.
Old 15th February 2005, 21:41   #52
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana
In the modern era what i hate the most is the Ferrari F50!!!
....Worst ferrari ever and ugliest supercar ever made.
Well, well, well … on what basis F50 is called ugly? First of all if you know about F50 then it was never made keeping style in mind. It’s a pure performance car. On Team-Bhp we had a poll that what would you choose Looks or Performance then man this car should be one of the best if not the best and not worst or ugly.

F50 is such a car that makes either of those cars look downright civilized and slow. Its such a beautiful piece of machinery. People at Ferrari are not mad to introduce this car for their 50th anniversary. It’s a driver’s car no abs, no power windows , no power steering et fancy stuff.
This is what Luca di Montezemolo said,
"We have in 50 years of racing won every kind of victory: Formula One, Le Mans, Dayton, Sebring," President Luca di Montezemolo said in an interview. "In this car we put 50 years of know-how."
"It will be impossible to do it again," he said.

Coming to its engine, this engine was motivated from 1994 412T if im not wrong. Tell me another car which provides you with a kind of engine from last year’s GP cars !!! Now this is what I call close to F1. Enzo is inspired by F1 Technology but F50 lives it. The valves can cope speeds upto 10,000 rpm. I think 8500 rpm was the limit due to Sound Emissions correct me if im wrong.
This is car is known for its lightning quick speed of taking corners. You think about the corner and you are already there. May be that’s why it was also called it’s a dangerous car. This Ferrari was known for its dynamic driving and handling.
People say that F40 still is better than F50 in performance stats. I say screw performance stats we are not kids saying that F40 is faster by a mile or two. Surely F40 may out perform F50 but may be not if equally skilled drivers are behind the wheels. I think F50 can kill F40. Well that’s not the point I love F40 also. Hell yeah I can say that I love F50 because its more rare than F40. Around 1300+ F40’s were produced and only 349 F50’s and im sure that everyone will agree and love to own the rare one. Surely I would like to.

The F50 might be legal to sell in all 50 states, but they were available by lease only. Even if you were in a position to cough up the $240,000 down payment, the EZ monthlies of $5,600 for 24 months and the $150,000 final payment, (not including sales tax, the $36,240 luxury tax, the $7,700 gas guzzler tax, and $1350 freight) you still might not be able to put an F50 in your garage. They were leased ONLY to individuals who were approved by the factory. People are not mad to pay such big amount of bucks.

People look at F50 as a failure because it never set any standards in performance as F40 did or did any race programs. Look at this car in person or performing on track then tell me. So what?
I love F50 and will always do no matter what.

F50 RULES !!!
Old 15th February 2005, 21:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the SLR had the 6.5 AMG V12, it would have been a worthy competitor. V8 doesnt put it in the league of other supercars like the Enzo / Carrera GT / Murci etc etc.
So you feel the CL65 AMG is a better candidate than the SLR when it comes tobeing called a supercar?

So according to you, minimum number of cylinders should be 10? Interesting......

The Maybach 62 has a V12!!

And doesn't the Ford GT have a V8?? which was made like, a year ago!!

Shan2nu
Old 15th February 2005, 23:31   #54
Team-BHP Support

Shan dude!! Why must you analyse something till its death!!

A supercar is a supercar. There is no fixed definition of what it should look like, how many cylinders it must have! Everyone here can tell a supercar when they see one, but ask someone to pinpoint what it is and you will get 1573 (number of members as of now...i think) different answers.

There is a difference between a supercar and an exotic car. The latter does not need to have performance as it's USP while the former advertises its' performance as its USP.
Old 16th February 2005, 01:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan dude!! Why must you analyse something till its death!!
Bcoz it doesn't make sense talking about supercars, when you can't define them.

So if each person has his own definition for a supercar, there's no limit to what a supercar can be. It can be the fastest, most brutal thing on the planet or the most fuel efficient, environment friendly hybrid family car.

How can you know a supercar when you see one and not able able to tell the world, what makes it so super?

Sports cars are sporty, luxury cars are comfortable, family cars are practical and a supercar is............desirable? Is that what it is?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 16th February 2005 at 01:34.
Old 16th February 2005, 02:17   #56
Team-BHP Support

there does exist a smaller market for anothr type of a more purpose built car .

these cars are designed to look good as well as perform and handle well . such cars have powerful engines and mileage is not given much importance while designing the engine . they are focussed cars tat are bult to be driven hard and fast and are built in smaller numbers than our every day production cars . rather than aimed at selling more numbers these cars are made yto be more exclusive . this allows their owners to enjoy the privilege of owning a rather unique vehicle not available to everyone .
this type of a car is know as SUPERCAR .

more often than not , a supercar comes hand in hand with a SUPER PRICE TAG . no expense is spared into making this the perfect RICH MAN'S TOY .

a supercar s not built for comfort , infact most of them have only room for 2 people . since they are too low to they help to keep the center of gravity to the ground as possible getting in and out of it requires some kind of athletic ability . a sound system is often left out though to most t will never be needed ude to the usually loud and pleasing exhaust note , excellent usic in its own right .

these powerful machines attain very high speeds and knowing that drivers will be pushing their cars to their handling limits , stablity and cornering ability are given prefrance over a plush and comfortable ride .

driving aids such as power steering are in many cases left out , so as to allow the driver maximum driving pleasure and feedback . in the right hands these cars can accelerate and decelerate so hard and corner so tightly , as to put their occupants through the occasional G FORCE .

CARS FIT TO BEAR THE NAME OF A " SUPERCAR " NORMALY WHEN THEY HAVE ENGINES MAKNG 300BHP AT MINIMUM .

the total weight of an out and out sports car is kept at its lowst and to aid this , the use of light andyet strong carbon fibre is common . good looks are usually an inherent part of a supercar and a lot of care is taken to ensure thecar looks as fast as it goes , even when it is stationary .

to many this is the purest form of acar , a car to lust for . A SUPERCAR IS THE CAR FOR WHOM EXISTENCE MEANS OLY ONE THING : THE SAKE OF PURE DRIVING PLEASURE .

they unashamedly push the envelope in price , stlye , performance one step forward at a time . driving one hard demands skill gleaned from years of experience , though the reward is a driving experience beyond the ordinary in spite of all its compromised comforts and practicality in daily life .

in a supercar you arent't likely to hear a passenger so where is the need for pore than one : in all probability they will be speechlessin any case.

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH A SUPERCAR IS US BEING UNABLE TO AFFORD ONE .

- manson .

p.s. shan dude this i hope helps you distingush SUPERCARS from the rest lolz . . nuthin personal man !
Old 16th February 2005, 05:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

for me the F50 would be the most hated supercar..
the F 40 would be one of the best super cars coming from the ferrari stables... if we look at the tech stats for the F40 and the F50 ..
thr is will be no significant difference

F 40 ---- eng cap 2936 V8 90deg light alloy ;horsepower 478@7000 (162 bhp/litre) ;torque 425lb/ft@4000 ...0 to60 mph 8.8secs

F 50 eng cap 4698 V12 65 deg light alloy , horsepower 513@8500 (102bhp /litre)torque 347lb/ft@6500 ..accelration 0 to 60mph in 8.0 secs

in addition to that the F40 came with a twin turbo , weighed 120 kilos less than the F50 .. f50 tops at 202 mph compared to f40 top end at 201 mph ...whn the enzo was launched it shows advances in leaps and bounds compared to the F40 n F50 ...F50 served no purpose as sucessor to the F40 as a super car ..

cheers

Last edited by turbo_lover : 16th February 2005 at 05:08.
Old 16th February 2005, 08:01   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Bcoz it doesn't make sense talking about supercars, when you can't define them.
So if each person has his own definition for a supercar, there's no limit to what a supercar can be.Shan2nu
Oh...yes, u got it damn right, its all up to individuals and their taste!!
Old 16th February 2005, 11:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Manson, nice writeup but, tell me one thing. Is the Ariel Atom a supercar?

Coz, from the points you've mentioned, the Ariel Atom pretty much satisfies all of them.

It's got 300bhp, it's a street legal road car, power to weight ratio of 600bhp/ton, it's a radical design, it's got racing inputs, costs 29000 pounds (waaaaay to expensive for a chassis with wheels), it has room only for 2, no high tech driver aids, looks fast, goes even faster, can sustain massive cornering forces, it is absolutely desirable and.........it's quicker than any other supercar around a circuit (except the phenomenal Enzo Ferrari).

And when i say it's a rich man's toy, i mean it...........literally!! You have to think impractically, to buy something like that.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 16th February 2005 at 11:17.
Old 16th February 2005, 11:33   #60
Team-BHP Support

What is a Supercar?
So what turns a car into a supercar? There are many factors involved, so whatever criteria you apply it's clear that this will always be a very subjective decision. There are, however, two aspects of any prospective supercar that we believe are of paramount importance - performance and historical significance.

Ferrari Enzo - the definitive modern supercar

Performance, the most important factor, can be broken down into three groups, Hypercar, Supercar and Junior Supercar. In the case of Hypercars (such as the McLaren F1 or Bugatti Veyron) and Supercars (such as the Ferrari 575M or Porsche Turbo) there can be no argument as to their inclusion. Junior Supercars are a different matter. The line between Supercar and hot hatch in becoming increasingly blurred in recent years, so with that in mind we have set the following criteria for inclusion :-

* 0-60mph in 6.5sec or less and a top speed of 150mph plus
(there are exceptions, such as the Caterham R500, where top speed is
lower but acceleration is so good that it must be included)

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing - the first true performance car

Historical significance may not even be considered by some as a relevant factor but without it cars such as the E-Type Jag and BMW 2002 would have been omitted from the site! The performance of cars such as this may seem average by modern standards but, in their day, they were of such significance that they thoroughly deserve their place amongst today's more powerful machines.

Monteverdi Hai - just two were produced

Models included must of course be production cars (no racing cars or prototypes - which have their own section). Limited special editions are fine, as long as at least two were made and they were fully functional runners that were actually sold.

Ferrari Dino - deserves it's place on looks alone!

Finally, there is one more factor that sees some cars included that meet neither of the above conditions - editor's privilege! They may not be true Supercars but due to looks, nostalgia or just plain sympathy, we want them on the site anyway. So the Aston Martin Lagonda, Maserati Merak and Plymouth Prowler have a lot to thank us for!

Source: www.supercarworld.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks