Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2005, 21:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Supercar committee rules book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Rtech, Stratos, Wolf, Manson, V12 can be our "define a supercar" committee.

U guys come up with a set of criterias and we will agree.

All i want is to know what the word supercar means, and if it can infact be defined!!

Shan2nu
Firstly, Shan2nu thankyou for extending your courteous gesture and giving me and few of us the privilege of finalising on the Supercars rule's that you have accepted to abide by. Appreciate it.

Note: what I am going to jott down now is purely my opinion on this critical front. Only other members of the committee have the right to append or modify the rule book.

Definition: An extreme engineering masterpiece in terms of looks, build, quality, feel and performance...simple.

Criteria:
1) Should have a plush, rich, luxurious look to the car.
2) Should possess only 4 wheels.
3) Should be a complete road worthy car(Offroad abilities are a bonus).
4) Should be a minimum of 2 seater and a maximum 4 seater.
5) Should cost atleast 40% more than super luxury sedans and sold in limited numbers to elite customers willing to abide by resale rules.
6) Should be capable of reaching 60mph in atleast 5secs.
7) Should be atleast capable of reaching 160mph top speed.
8) Should have crowd pulling exhaust note.
9) Should possess a sporty outlook.
10) Should be a production car and not a prototype.
11) Shouldnot have propellers or wings.

Its your turn committee members...

Last edited by The Wolf : 18th February 2005 at 21:49.
Old 18th February 2005, 22:25   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok Islero, keeping your points in mind, i'm gonna name 3 cars. You tell me which off those 3 cars can be considered a supercar and which cannot, and why?

Here goes
1. Mistu Evo 8 FQ 340/400
2. Ariel Atom
3. Honda Accord 2.2 i-ctdi

Shan2nu
hmmm.....tough choice, but in fact, I would ignore these. It just that they arent exactly SUPER. I would instead select the Lotus Elise as an example, which, if you would notice, has the following:

Plus points:
1. It is one of THE BEST handling cars of all time
2. It has a punchy as well as economical engine
3. Its light weight means excellent preformance, more than enough for everyday use.
4. Its slightly extragavant( but not as bad as the Atom) price puts it just out of reach and on a pedestal.
5. Its exclusivity, and hand-built special feeling.
6. Its inherent impracticality, which actually adds to the effect of supercar-ism.
Old 18th February 2005, 23:50   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
there does exist a smaller market for anothr type of a more purpose built car .

these cars are designed to look good as well as perform and handle well . such cars have powerful engines and mileage is not given much importance while designing the engine . they are focussed cars tat are bult to be driven hard and fast and are built in smaller numbers than our every day production cars . rather than aimed at selling more numbers these cars are made yto be more exclusive . this allows their owners to enjoy the privilege of owning a rather unique vehicle not available to everyone .
this type of a car is know as SUPERCAR .

more often than not , a supercar comes hand in hand with a SUPER PRICE TAG . no expense is spared into making this the perfect RICH MAN'S TOY .

a supercar s not built for comfort , infact most of them have only room for 2 people . since they are too low to they help to keep the center of gravity to the ground as possible getting in and out of it requires some kind of athletic ability . a sound system is often left out though to most t will never be needed ude to the usually loud and pleasing exhaust note , excellent usic in its own right .

these powerful machines attain very high speeds and knowing that drivers will be pushing their cars to their handling limits , stablity and cornering ability are given prefrance over a plush and comfortable ride .

driving aids such as power steering are in many cases left out , so as to allow the driver maximum driving pleasure and feedback . in the right hands these cars can accelerate and decelerate so hard and corner so tightly , as to put their occupants through the occasional G FORCE .

CARS FIT TO BEAR THE NAME OF A " SUPERCAR " NORMALY WHEN THEY HAVE ENGINES MAKNG 300BHP AT MINIMUM .

the total weight of an out and out sports car is kept at its lowst and to aid this , the use of light andyet strong carbon fibre is common . good looks are usually an inherent part of a supercar and a lot of care is taken to ensure thecar looks as fast as it goes , even when it is stationary .

to many this is the purest form of acar , a car to lust for . A SUPERCAR IS THE CAR FOR WHOM EXISTENCE MEANS OLY ONE THING : THE SAKE OF PURE DRIVING PLEASURE .

they unashamedly push the envelope in price , stlye , performance one step forward at a time . driving one hard demands skill gleaned from years of experience , though the reward is a driving experience beyond the ordinary in spite of all its compromised comforts and practicality in daily life .

in a supercar you arent't likely to hear a passenger so where is the need for pore than one : in all probability they will be speechlessin any case.

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH A SUPERCAR IS US BEING UNABLE TO AFFORD ONE .

- manson .

p.s. shan dude this i hope helps you distingush SUPERCARS from the rest lolz . . nuthin personal man !

the above is how i would describe a supercar
shantanu i totally understand that the atom has almost all the above qualities so you feel that it should qualify as a SUPERCAR but at the same time i think airplanes also qualify the above features but UNFORTUNTAELY WE CANNOT TERM THEM AS SUPERCARS TOO as they have to be cars NOT BUGGIES , PLANES , etc .

-
manson .
Old 19th February 2005, 09:08   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok Islero, keeping your points in mind, i'm gonna name 3 cars. You tell me which off those 3 cars can be considered a supercar and which cannot, and why?

Here goes
1. Mistu Evo 8 FQ 340/400
2. Ariel Atom
3. Honda Accord 2.2 i-ctdi

Shan2nu
And Shantanu, to offer a further explanation for my ignoring the cars you've mentioned:
1. The evo's extraordinary abilities might earn it many accolades, but it isnt appealing as far as looks go. And from recent roadtests, the driving experience can become a little stale due to the extraordinary safety and grip for 4wd.

2. The Atom is a severly compromised car. Many mags have commented about how it is superlative on track and painful outside it( by that I mean noisy, harsh and impractical). Its high price and doubtful build further worsen the equation.

3. The Accord has a brilliant combination of driveability and economy, but lags behind as far as aesthetics, looks and other areas are concerned. But it comes close.

But more than the Elise, I just remembered another one that defenitely deserves to be called supercar: The old BMW 330D
It returns 46 mpg and offers 200 bhp and loads of torque. Add the awesome chassis and the smooth looks, and youve got a surefire candiddate. It's high value new or second-hand further increases its supercar-ability. What says thou?

Of course all of this is for everyday supercars, supercars you and I can associate with.

Last edited by islero : 19th February 2005 at 09:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks