Old 14th August 2007, 16:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spy Pics- New Mercedes SLC

worldcarfans.com
Mercedes SLC Test Mule Now Uncovered

MERC??? really???
Old 14th August 2007, 20:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

tushky i wonder why they used the exterier panels of the dodge viper when they could have used the sl body. i hope like they say its the baby slr at an affordable price. would love to see the body they design for it.
Old 14th August 2007, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seemed like the Dodge viper to me too.
Old 14th August 2007, 22:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
tushky i wonder why they used the exterier panels of the dodge viper when they could have used the sl body. i hope like they say its the baby slr at an affordable price. would love to see the body they design for it.
Thats probably because they are doing drive train testing and the SL body will not allow them to do that mainly for the reason that this car has a front-mid mounted layout (like the SLR). Viper body is allowing them the freedom of not using even something close to the actual body.
Old 15th August 2007, 00:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats probably because they are doing drive train testing and the SL body will not allow them to do that mainly for the reason that this car has a front-mid mounted layout (like the SLR). Viper body is allowing them the freedom of not using even something close to the actual body.
yes i understand that 1100d. i was just wondering it would be better testing the drive train on a prototype body then on another car body. it would make things easier while building the actual car. all body faults could have been rectified. am just thinking aloud.
Old 15th August 2007, 00:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes i understand that 1100d. i was just wondering it would be better testing the drive train on a prototype body then on another car body. it would make things easier while building the actual car. all body faults could have been rectified. am just thinking aloud.
Body will be most probably based on the Viper. This is in line with an earlier arrangement when there was going to be some product sharing between chrysler and Benz. One result was the Chrysler 300c/charger/magnum, this is the reverse wherein Viper is being used as a base for a Merc.
Old 15th August 2007, 18:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Body will be most probably based on the Viper. This is in line with an earlier arrangement when there was going to be some product sharing between chrysler and Benz. One result was the Chrysler 300c/charger/magnum, this is the reverse wherein Viper is being used as a base for a Merc.
but with the products sharing between chrysler and benz. the cars were known as chryslers. examples stated by you the chrysler 330c/charger/magnum. so if this slc is going to use the body of the viper like you suggest this car should also be called the viper and not a mercedes. base of a mercedes and body of the viper?
Old 15th August 2007, 20:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but with the products sharing between chrysler and benz. the cars were known as chryslers. examples stated by you the chrysler 330c/charger/magnum. so if this slc is going to use the body of the viper like you suggest this car should also be called the viper and not a mercedes. base of a mercedes and body of the viper?
The 300C/Charger/Magnum had the Merc E class underpinnings, but the powertrain was Chrysler (Hemi). The body of the SLC is not going to be the Viper body, but based on its mechanicals. I remember some magazine giving some artists impressions of the SLC and then mentioning Viper proportions. The Drivetrain is completely Mercedes. Whether they brand it as a Mercedes or a Maybach or as a McLaren is something to be found out.
Old 15th August 2007, 20:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

ok buts its very confuseing. anyways i just hope the car is affordable and does not remain a dream for many. i think it would be branded a mercedes and not maybach as it signifies luxury and not a mclaren as it is a supersports. this would be the slr junior or sl senier.
Old 26th July 2008, 22:57   #10
BHPian

More details have emerged about this car that might help clear up some of your confusions. Here they are:

"A successor to the SLR, this new car will be the product of a partnership between Mercedes/AMG and H.W.A., rather than McLaren. "

"Unlike the F1-inspired styling of the current SLK, the SLC will have a design language more in-line with Mercedes’ passenger cars. The front fascia also contains plenty of air inlets, providing sufficient airflow and cooling for the forced-induction powerplant that resides undehood. "

"The mule uses some Dodge Viper body panels at the rear, but any Viper similarities end there, as this SLC mule has a longer wheelbase right around 106-inches..."

"The wheelbase of this prototype closely matches that of the SLR, and it clearly displays a long hood and cab-rearward stance."

"The roof’s profile suggests it’s probably a folding hardtop."

"Like the SLR, this new car might have a “front-mid-engine” configuration, meaning the engine is positioned between the driver and front axle."

"It remains unclear what powerplant is powering the SLC, but our sources indicate a version of AMG’s turbocharged 6.2-liter V8 is likely lurking underhood."

Text/Image Source: LeftLaneNews
Attached Thumbnails
Spy Pics- New Mercedes SLC-slclars1.jpg  

Spy Pics- New Mercedes SLC-slclars2.jpg  

Old 27th July 2008, 01:03   #11
BHPian

Duh.. Pics in post#10 look like a photoshop job. Headlights from Opel Roadster, Lower part of the front bumper straight lift from the Lambo Reventon.

First few pics on the post # 1 look too much like the Viper.
Old 27th July 2008, 14:33   #12
BHPian

I shouldn't be saying this but the pictures on the World Car Fan's website are making it look very Dodge Viperish!
Old 27th July 2008, 14:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_headrock View Post
I shouldn't be saying this but the pictures on the World Car Fan's website are making it look very Dodge Viperish!
Indeed, the car in the Worldcarfans pics and the one in post#10 look completely different.
Old 27th July 2008, 15:23   #14

The earlier car is a prototype mule. Of course it looks different. even when cars are tested in india, the mules look totally different to the real deal.
Old 27th July 2008, 18:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Duh.. Pics in post#10 look like a photoshop job. Headlights from Opel Roadster, Lower part of the front bumper straight lift from the Lambo Reventon.

First few pics on the post # 1 look too much like the Viper.
My initial post (#10) states: "The mule uses some Dodge Viper body panels at the rear, but any Viper similarities end there..."
A mule is basically used to test out drivetrain, suspension, brakes etc. But in most cases the car used has no visual similarities with the final product. And example could be the Honda S2000 being used as a mule for the 2010 Honda NSX.

The pictures are a photoshop job. The main purpose is to give people an idea of what the car might look like based on known dimensions and other aspects.

Hope that clears up everything!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks