Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 00:10   #1
BHPian

GM's answer to Mercedes' Dies-Otto??!

I'd posted a few days earlier about the Mercedes dies-otto technology that Mercedes will showcase in the forthcoming Frankfurt Auto Show. The technology is about incorporating the benefits of a diesel engine in to a gas engine. Well i recently saw a video of GM chief Bob Lutz talking about not going the diesel way since they're coming up with a new technology which is far more efficient. I did a little searching on the web and came up with this.

GM's HCCI a new technology which is similar to what i have read about mercedes dies-otto. It talks about igniting fuel in the combustion chamber under pressure and having spark plugs as stand by for cold weather.

All your comments please
Old 25th August 2007, 00:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

HCCI has been around a long time. Its not GM's invention. In fact I remember reading about the Honda Active Radical combustion chamber a long time ago. They even made a Paris-dakar type motorcycle with a two-stroke active radical engine. This is something similar to that.

BTW interesting comments on Somender Singh's grooving at the end of that article.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 25th August 2007 at 00:28.
Old 25th August 2007, 00:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ananth, the ACR was running a 2 stroke cycle with CI. Never heard of it after the Dakar bike.

HCCI like you said has been in the labs and dynos for quite a while now where it runs at steady state but so far nothing on the road yet. Typically there are no plugs in HCCI because of the CI, but I guess GM is trying something different.
Old 25th August 2007, 00:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
HCCI has been around a long time. ...
BTW interesting comments on Somender Singh's grooving at the end of that article.
Interesting I completely missed those. Good to know fact though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
HCCI like you said has been in the labs and dynos
So will this really be applied. I heard they're running it on experimental saturn aura's.
Old 27th August 2007, 08:17   #5
BHPian

Our University, University of Windsor has an HCCI research team which is funded by GM. I knew one of the research/graduate assistants who was working on that. In one of our 3rd year courses, we actually had a class dedicated to it. The setup is huge, and they are using a modified 3 cylinder Indirect Injection GM diesel engine (He told me that the 4th cylinder was disabled, can't remember why though). Since it was a test setup, they said it took them almost 2 hours to start it up (adjusting the sensors, air/fuel ratio etc.) and it's also one of the major drawbacks of the engine. Otherwise, if they can get it right, it'll be a very efficient engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks