Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2024, 12:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz claims that 80% of all G-wagons ever built are still roadworthy

Speaking at a roundtable interview, Michael Schiebe, Head of AMG, G-Class & Maybach business units at Mercedes-Benz, claimed that the majority of the G-Class SUVs built since its introduction in 1979 are still roadworthy.

Schiebe stated, "80 per cent of the G-Classes that were ever produced are still in the market." Further adding, "The cars have a very long lifetime."

Mercedes-Benz reported in 2023 that they built 5,00,000 units of the G-wagon, which means there are still 4,00,000 of them on the roads today.

Mercedes-Benz claims that 80% of all G-wagons ever built are still roadworthy-gwagon.jpg

Schiebe added, "So here you can calculate [that while] maybe a G-Class needs a little bit more material than [your average] compact car, the durability, if you see the lifetime of a G-Wagen from 1979, I think you [will have had to have driven] driven many, many compact cars, in some cases, to keep up the lifetime of a G-Wagen."

With the recent arrival of the all-electric G-Class, the G580 with EQ technology, Mercedes now offers the G-wagon in three powertrain options - the popular bi-turbo V8 for the AMG version, a six-cylinder unit on the entry-level G550 and the all-electric G580.

Schiebe stated, "We try to be a customer-centric company. We want to deliver what customers want. And if they demand V8 engines, then it is our job to supply very efficient and very powerful V8 engines."

He further added, "We have customers that really love the V8. And they will love the V8 in the G-Class forever. They can go and continue with the G63. Then we open up [availability] for customers who want to have a very efficient high-performance combustion engine powertrain, the six-cylinder G550. It’s more efficient, it’s more dynamic than its predecessor V8, this is the right car for them. And then you have the electric one for those who like the shape, look, and feel of the G-Wagen, but say 'nowadays I don’t want to drive a combustion-engine G-Class anymore."

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 12:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz claims that 80% of all G-wagons ever built are still roadworthy

80% of G-Wagens still roam the streets? No surprise there – they've got a cult following and the build quality of a bygone era. Unlike most modern Mercs, you won't find a symphony of creaks and plastic flex inside the G. And that door close sound? It's pure automotive ASMR for me. Even in 2024, it's a beast built differently, a true throwback.

The electric G-Wagen might gain even bigger numbers, sure. No more gas-guzzler guilt to hold it back. But something tells me we won't be saying "80% of those are still rolling in 2064". Today's tech, for all its wonders, isn't exactly known for longevity like the good ol' G.

Last edited by DeKay : 10th May 2024 at 12:46.
DeKay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 14:30   #3
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz claims that 80% of all G-wagons ever built are still roadworthy

They are built well, most are parked well, most are driven well on good roads of developed countries. So, there is no surprise in this claim!
Thilak29 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 17:22   #4
GTE
BHPian

The question is what condition the occupants are in. The one that I drove around 10 years ago had the worst suspension that I have ever experienced & I have driven 100s of different cars. The agents had to admit that this was totally unsuitable for our roads.
GTE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 17:34   #5
BHPian

On a lighter note - Lets see what Mr Michael Schiebe has to say about Mercedes cars in Delhi NCR where every 10 years all the cars are churned thanks to NGT
aayusht is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 19:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
On a lighter note - Lets see what Mr Michael Schiebe has to say about Mercedes cars in Delhi NCR where every 10 years all the cars are churned thanks to NGT
That remaining 20%, must be from NCR!!
2000rpm is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 00:02   #7
BHPian

No Surprise,
Born as an offroader/Army vehicle, built well, over the generations, it turned to a super luxury vehicle. Because of this, the majority are used by celebrities as garage Queen/King (We see a lot in LA streets). None else could afford it. So it rarely goes outside of paved roads. There is a good chance that the original owner might not have touched its diff lock switches other than during the initial days of ownership just to check if its functioning or not.

I remember similar claims from Subaru aswell which I feel are more genuine since it's not an ultra luxury brand. I don't remember the number though.

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 11th May 2024 at 00:03.
Old 12th May 2024, 11:48   #8
BHPian

Does this hold true for current generation as well? Are they still built to such high standards?
Old 12th May 2024, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedriver_9000 View Post
Does this hold true for current generation as well? Are they still built to such high standards?
Most current gen cars can't take a torrent of abuse like the ones of yesteryears, thanks to planned obsolescence and corporate greed. None of them can hold a candle to the old stalwarts and they are merely a shadow of their former self.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 18:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Land Rover claims an even higher statistic - that 90% of Land Rovers ever made are still on the road today. The remaining 10% made it to their destination.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 23:51   #11
BHPian

Have been seeing an awful lot of G-Wagons in Delhi, especially in and around South Delhi. As other BHPians have pointed out, it's a rich person's toy. But that twin-turbo V8 grunt is to die for. I have heard it multiple times and still can't get enough of it. It is like an angry monster ready to pounce on any hapless soul unfortunate enough to cross its path.
mugen_pinaki27 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 00:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
They are built well, most are parked well, most are driven well on good roads of developed countries.
Built Well. Yes. I totally agree.
Driven well on good roads? the AMG G's are certainly the posh kind that never leave the Tarmac and those, I agree - they are kept well and drive on good roads.

Not all though - The older Gen G's are still a favorite of many around the off-roader circuits.

Example here-

Mercedes-Benz claims that 80% of all G-wagons ever built are still roadworthy-img20240426wa0010.jpg

This is a Friend of a friends G that he fully restored and drives it off-road as well as Tows his Drift car in. There are many such in the Finnish Off-roading community. I'm sure they can be found all over the place including amongst overlanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedriver_9000 View Post
For the most part, Yes.

I refer 3 examples of Gs.
1. The same G posted above. (don't remember what year model it is)
2. A 2005 Finnish Army Excess Auctioned G.
3. 2022 G550.

The click on the door lock cylinder button (outer) felt exactly the same. Reassuringly positive and mechanical in feel. Every door closed with a solid thunk in each of the cars. I know I'm obsessing about a simple matter but when you feel it, you can't relate it to any other. Everything else feels Plasticky and/or Rubbery Including my Range Rover.

They are all built as Robust as they always were.

Having said that, It's the Electronics and the SW that is increasing by the model year but MB has been rocking in recent years. Hardly a complaint area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Most current gen cars can't take a torrent of abuse like the ones of yesteryears, thanks to planned obsolescence and corporate greed. None of them can hold a candle to the old stalwarts and they are merely a shadow of their former self.
MB has learnt it's lesson's from their brief failed experiment with planned obsolescence and it is not the case anymore and certainly not the G. After all, it is MB's cash cow.

@bibendum90949- Incidentally, one of our batchmates (Mech) from our Engineering Days is a Designer Engineer in Mercedes and works on the G program.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 15th May 2024 at 00:57.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 01:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Schiebe added, "So here you can calculate [that while] maybe a G-Class needs a little bit more material than [your average] compact car, the durability, if you see the lifetime of a G-Wagen from 1979, I think you [will have had to have driven] driven many, many compact cars, in some cases, to keep up the lifetime of a G-Wagen."

Schiebe stated, "We try to be a customer-centric company. We want to deliver what customers want. And if they demand V8 engines, then it is our job to supply very efficient and very powerful V8 engines."
Mr Schiebe, excuse my French is full of sh***. There are far more W123 on the roads today then G-class. Mercedes Benz does not do anything to support their W123 customers. Nothing and I mean nothing.

I have some first hand experience talking to MB HQ and their classic car division. As soon as you mention you own a W123 they all lose interest.

MB is only customer centric if they think they can earn money from those customers. Otherwise they are not interested. They are not interested in their heritage. Only in the parts of the heritage that makes them some money. Sure enough you can get any part for your MB Pagoda, at ridiculous prices. Your average W123 owner simply can’t afford those prices, so MB isn’t interested. So no parts for your MB W123, despite the fact that this is the most popular and most produced MB ever.

You think Mr. Schiebe is going to sell affordable parts to a guy in Tunesië running a W123 200 diesel with 500k on the clock? No way! He wants to talk to Sjeiks and playboys who bought his GClass. Because they might also buy some of his current line up.

Pathetic

Sad, but true.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 11:31   #14
BHPian

We should take what Michael Schiebe said with a bag of salt:

- How many of these are between 25 to 30 years old? I won't be surprised if they form at least 80 to 90% of the vehicles and they'll have super low miles/kilometers on them, especially because they've been mostly bought as vanity cars, rarely ever daily drivers.

- In addition, as Thilak29 said, the overwhelming majority will be driven ONLY on tarmac. You can maintain the most unreliable vehicle for life on these conditions. I won't be surprised if owners don't take their vehicles out when it's raining.

- If want to see real reliability, then as Jeroen said, look at massive volume vehicles like the W123, LandCruisers or even Altos and their survival rate, especially because they are high mileage vehicles.

This is typical marketing fluff trying to sell brand reliability and durability without showing you the true picture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks