Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2024, 17:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Quick 0-100 km/h times aren't a sign of fun cars, says Lamborghini

Supercars have always been judged on how fast they accelerate between 0-100 km/h. However, Roven Mohr, Chief Technical Officer of Lamborghini, has a different take on this.

Speaking in an interview, Mohr, stated, "We are a brand that offers an experience. We don’t offer mobility from A to B. Nobody really needs a Lamborghini. We need to generate ‘want’ with a thrill in the car. Some cars on the market are so over-engineered you don’t feel a connection. We pursue the best excitement possible." He went on to add, "Character is defined by other things. I think we have some cool ideas. In the next year or two we will showcase our thoughts. It’s far away from what your 0-62mph acceleration time is. That is not something that generates fun."

Quick 0-100 km/h times aren't a sign of fun cars, says Lamborghini-lanzador.jpg

The company CTO also stated, "Our area of the car industry has to reinvent the character-defining attributes of a car. Step by step, the next generations will develop a different interpretation of what is cool. There will be a point where young people don’t understand the appeal of an ICE manual sports car."

Lamborghini is slowly electrifying its model lineup, with the Revuelto being its first production supercar with a hybrid powertrain. The company will be introducing a replacement for its Huracan, which will also be powered by a hybrid unit.

In terms of EVs, Lamborghini's first all-electric model will be based on the Lanzador - a 2+2 grand tourer, scheduled to arrive in 2028.

Source: TopGear

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 10th June 2024 at 17:45.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 17:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Quick 0-100 km/h times aren't a sign of fun cars, says Lamborghini

Couldn’t agree more, it’s not just about 0-100, it’s about how it takes you there, the experience, the connect, the adrenaline, aural pleasure etc.
sachin_cs is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 17:52   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hahaha! He has to say that now....because Electric Cars costing a fraction of Lamborghinis are as fast in the 0 - 60 runs.

Ferrari once said, we will never chase top speed, and that is something I really agree with. My idea of fun isn't maxing out the speedometer. But I love fast acceleration, strong & violent midrange (my favourite) and mid-to-high speed cornering. Top speed is just an irrelevant statistic which can make you a statistic too.
GTO is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 18:10   #4
BHPian

Although what he is saying is true in some sense, but in this context he just seems to be changing the narrative as he knows that electric cars have democratized 0-100 times and he can longer charge a premium for the same.
JediKnight is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 22:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Couldnít agree more, itís not just about 0-100, itís about how it takes you there, the experience, the connect, the adrenaline, aural pleasure etc.
I also lean towards this. Electric cars accelerating is Scary, and not so much fun. 0-100 in 3 seconds is not at all enjoyable for me, specially when am in the passenger seat. However, I was watching a couple on their Gypsy with broken exhaust, and was awestruck. The Aural pleasure is something else. A pure Naturally aspirated high revving, bare bones, light weight car is the one for me
Quick 0-100 km/h times aren't a sign of fun cars, says Lamborghini-screenshot-20240610-10.29.37-pm.png
vinya_jag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 09:39   #6
BHPian

Any good business person follows the market and doesn't have rigid philosophical views on their products.

Many hypercars are bought by collectors. For them, the car should be iconic in some way. The easiest pitch, so far, for the manufacturers has been numbers like the 0-60 times.

Nowadays, those icon-chasing collectors are buying Rimacs.

So, Lamborghini is not doing this out of some heightened sense of automotive purity as much as out of plain marketing necessity!
buzzy_boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 09:52   #7
BHPian

I can't agree more. Yes, they may be saying now given the threat from electric cars, which have made 0-100 times super affordable, but what do you do after you get there? Do you keep braking and accelerating just to get your fix? This is why the emotional connect and the thrill of driving is more important than the raw numbers. The industry knows this and cars like the Hyundai Ioniq 5N are testament to the fact that this is a problem. Simulating the entire drivetrain behavior along with the sounds in order to increase engagement is a nice solution. For me, even with my relatively modest 265PS (compared to crazy fast electric cars available today), I never long for more power - but i do long for more connection, in the form of a better soundtrack and a manual gearbox.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 11:35   #8
BHPian

They have chased top speed for a long time. Only around the Aventador they mentioned handling being a higher priority than acceleration and top speed. But right now with the electric scene, he has no choice but to convince people 0-100 doesn't matter. I completely agree but this is just marketing.
venukrithish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 12:34   #9
BHPian

Like I always said , because of the EVs, drag races now have to move away from quater mile to a mile long. I can see more and more ICE supercar manufacturers will be coming out with mid range - top end numbers and for longer distances as their marketing narratives in the near future.

Nevertheless, Lambos and Ferraris have always been bigger head turners than Porsches and Astons (atleast in the west) for their their sounds and designs of the vehicles. Even enthusiasts who religiously track the numbers like 0- 60 mph or quarter mile timings, buy these cars for the attention they bring. If these manufacturers keep offering NA V12s, there will always be takers/collectors. So they should double down on coming out with those models, even if it meant prices going up because of the penalisation (taxes) by the govts. After all, an enthusiast cannot differentiate the experience of reaching 60 mph in 3.4 sec vs 2.8 sec, let alone general public.
Earthroamer is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed