Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2004, 23:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Check this out - to be revealed in the NY motor show Ford is to unveil its Mustang GT-R concept car at the New York Motor Show this week. Based on the all-new 2005 Mustang, it is "a tribute to 40 years of performance" with a 440bhp 5.0-litre 'Cammer' crate engine, Ford Racing six-speed transmission and Valencia Orange paintwork in tribute to the 1970 Mustang Boss 302 Trans-Am race cars, the "Yellow Mustangs". Using 85 percent of the standard car's components, it is, says Ford, "nearly ready for a variety of series", and could be offered to individual privateer racers as "an affordable, factory-supplied race package". With minor modifications to some body parts, brakes, wheels and tyres, it could compete in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS), the SCCA Trans-Am, GrandAm Cup and the FIA sports car championships.

Mustang GT-R Gallery
Built by Saleen Special Vehicles in Michigan, the GT-R features a carbonfibre bonnet, roll cage and additional aerodynamic body kit, plus huge flared wheel arches to accommodate the racing-spec suspension, 20-inch wheels, racing slick tyres and air scoops. At the rear, there are bolder, wider taillights, twin stainless steel exhaust scoops and an auxiliary differential cooler - essential for endurance racing - mounted between the taillamps behind an aluminium grille screen. Its cabin has an F1-style steering wheel with most controls integrated; only the oil pressure and water temperature gauges are mounted on the instrument panel.

Though Ford describes the GT-R as a "concept", it's clearly headed for production. Mustang development manager Mark Rushbrook says that "we spent countless hours refining this car on development drives and at the track. The car has been to the Nelson Ledges road course in Ohio several times for 24-hour runs and has spent months on our own straightways and handling courses at our proving grounds in Arizona, Michigan and Florida." Racers will also be able to fit GT-R-style components to upgrade their standard Mustangs; the 5.0-litre engine, for example, is sold through the Ford Racing catalogue for $14,995, including the wiring harness kit. The all-new Mustang range goes on sale this autumn, and Mustang enthusiasts will celebrate the car's 40th birthday later this month.
Old 5th April 2004, 23:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

frontmustang front
Old 5th April 2004, 23:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ April 05 2004,22:02)]Its cabin has an F1-style steering wheel with most controls integrated;
I dont know why but that just killed the muscle car image for me!@#

But the car sounds exciting and the pics look great as well!! Has a very skyline-like stance......

Im trying to go to the New York motorshow this week!..lets hope that works out!! ;-] (www.autoshowny.com)

cya
Rehaan
Old 6th April 2004, 01:36   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The only American muscle car that has survived...I am a huge fan of the Mustang. My favorites being teh GT500, GT350, Boss 302 and the Saleen Mustang of the just discontinued generation. It somehow defined the shape of the american muscle car..short deck long hood...huge chunk of horsepower...and a brakes and handling package that are very ill-equipped to support a pedal to the metal stint.

I love the new Mustang, had seen it at the NY auto show. American cars may not have the engineering depth, quality and reliability of the others, but they sure have one thing in excess - CHARACTER!

GTO
Old 6th April 2004, 01:44   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Heres some pictures of a VERY VERY BADLY camoflauged '05 Mustang

GTO
Old 6th April 2004, 03:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

The new concept looks very mean indeed and total Mustang. Somehow the paddle shift puts me off as well. But all in all very exciting. Rehaan hope you can make it to the show click some great pics..

Cheers
Old 12th April 2004, 01:56   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ohhhhhhhhhh...Just check these pics of the 'Stang out

Old 12th April 2004, 02:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Cowabunga now thats what I call pure muscle. Excellent pics GTO

Cheers
Old 12th April 2004, 02:51   #9
BHPian

Thats Pure Muscle with Technology!