Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2007, 17:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

The return of Triumph

In the first of two shock scoops about one car giant this week, Auto Express can exclusively uncover ex ci ting plans by BMW to bring back one of Britain’s best-loved marques – Triumph is on to a winner!

Last week, the firm announced its plans for the future. Part of this strategy was the introduction of the long-awaited SUV version of the MINI – but bosses also described why they are aiming to expand the company with new brands.

Despite speculation that Jag uar, Land Rover and Volvo are in the frame as targets for acquisition, our sources have suggested that BMW will add to its portfolio by reviving a classic badge – and Triumph is top of the list. The historic British marque, which the maker took over when it bought MG Rover in 1994, would be a clear choice to market a rival for the new, Chinese-owned MG TF roadster.

Our pictures reveal what a modern Triumph car could look like, taking its styling inspiration from the classic TR4. Just as the new MINI’s design was heavily influenced by the Sixties classic, a reinvented Triumph would be a retro remake.
Read more here
Old 14th October 2007, 18:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

this absolutly great news. bmw on its way to expand on its brands and models would give the world back a great marque that dissapeared. i hope the company does not alter from the design inspired by the TR4. i feel even their z4 is inspired by the triumph spitfire.
i was womdering ajmat. since BMW own MG Rover was the rights to use the name MG sold or leased to the chinese firm, or is it a seperate identity with no connection to MG Rover.
Old 15th October 2007, 13:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i was womdering ajmat. since BMW own MG Rover was the rights to use the name MG sold or leased to the chinese firm, or is it a seperate identity with no connection to MG Rover.
When BMW sold MG Rover to the Phoenix group. They sold all assets and the MG brand but not the Rover name as it clashed with the Land Rover brand. Ford had bought Land Rover and had the last refusal on buying the Rover brand fully.

Phonenix raided and raped a half dead MG Rover financially. They sold the assets + MG name to Nanjing although SAIC have the IP rights to make the Rover 75 (not use the name).

BMW have since sold the entire Rover brand to Ford
Old 15th October 2007, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Everyone is on a retro-redo these days, from Mini to Citroen to Fiat to Ford.

Mr. Birla, if you had stopped making the Amby a decade or two ago when it became unprofitable, you could've cashed in on the retro sentiment by releasing an Amby NOW.
Old 15th October 2007, 13:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
When BMW sold MG Rover to the Phoenix group. They sold all assets and the MG brand but not the Rover name as it clashed with the Land Rover brand. Ford had bought Land Rover and had the last refusal on buying the Rover brand fully.

Phonenix raided and raped a half dead MG Rover financially. They sold the assets + MG name to Nanjing although SAIC have the IP rights to make the Rover 75 (not use the name).

BMW have since sold the entire Rover brand to Ford
thank you for the information Ajmat.
i think BMW could have done wonders with the MG Rover brand instead of selling out. i guess they knew better and took the desicion in the companies best interest.
Old 15th October 2007, 16:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Coo! Great stuff...very exciting indeed. I love the attempt at recreating the trademark scowl of the later TRs. Dont expect it to use the Triumph motorcycle logo as shown, the bike and car units were sperated in the 20s if i not mistaken.

Most Viewed