Team-BHP - Porsche Carrera GT Crash Settled for $4.5m
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Porsche Carrera GT Crash Settled for $4.5m (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/30424-porsche-carrera-gt-crash-settled-4-5m.html)

Carrera GT Crash Settled for $4.5m
The lawsuit was recently settled for a reported total of approximately $4.5 million. The contributions to the settlement were about 49% from the estate of the driver, 41% from the track owners and the event organizers, 8% from Porsche, and 2% from the driver of the Ferrari that was claimed to have triggered the crash.
more details:
Sports Car Market Magazine
Original story:
Two Killed In Crash At California Speedway - News Story - KNBC | Los Angeles

What was a Porsche doing in a Ferrari owner's meet???

Awful crash man! Total carnage!

Oh man! Horrible crash. Any ideas on why it caught fire? This brings up a question: are the supercars track worthy (during any fatalities). Will the engine compartment have any kind of fire retardant material?

F1 cars do not catch fire during crashes right (except when oil leaks)??

Thats a nasty crash all right. But when one pays so much for a car like the CGT, why didnt porsche provide the electronic stability control or PSM with it?:confused: There is no compromise for safety anyway and I assume that customers wouldnt mind paying for that (PSM) either.

Its horrific to note that the car was allowed to run on track by the organizers inspite of knowing the risks involved with the CGT's handling. :mad:

Its not only Porsche's mistake. There were a lot of contributing factors. If one reads the report properly you will find that the pit lane exit was in the middle of the straight !!!! Isn't that a bad design? Worse cars exiting the pit lane cannot see the cars on the straight !!! The barrier wall was also brought in closer. They should have had typically F1 style barriers which is an awesome design. They have rows and rows of tyres tied up.

The CGT is meant to be a race car and Porsche Stability Management will deprive the feeling of driving on the edge with that car. Any car is as good as its driver. The driver knew that CGT's will oversteer (by design). So he should have made allowances for that.

Take a look at youtube and you'll find the GT being driven at 330 kmph on the Autobhan !!! That's insane speeds on a public highway !!

Yes without the PSM, Porsche's will oversteer (given their rear engine placemement). I think only the GT's come without the PSM?

Finally all this can happen only in the US of A. :-)

I can understand the track owners and organisers coming under heat, but hell.....Porsche? For what? Any extreme supercar is going to be a handful to put through its paces.

For neglecting to put in stability management system :D

Absurd ain't it? The driver should have known it!

And one question asked above still remains unanswerd: What was a Porsche doing in a Ferrari meet?

Its not such a big deal if there was a Porsche at a Ferrari meet. Most Ferrari owners probably own other supercars too. And its not uncommon to see competing cars in club meets. The BMW M5 board meets have M6s Audi RS4s, 911s etc. If a person is a club member or comes as the guest of a club member I dont think it matters what car he brings.

One big reason why Handling of a Vehicle should be given bigger importance than it is normally given.

Many an Indian car is sold on the promise of, what will one do with brilliant handling, but one fateful day, one changed set of mind and what you have is, lives lost.

I would blame the track for not having adequate run-off area. You'd be amazed at how many fatalities can be avoided by providing adequate runoffs. Spinning out and understeering into these areas is extremely common on track days.

The CGT is a beast, and quite a handful. Check out these videos >

YouTube - Carrera GT crash at Monza

YouTube - Carrera GT swerves

cya
R

Think pictures of the GT surfaced on the wreckedexotics website. Horrible crash.
May their souls rest in peace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 605646)
The CGT is a beast, and quite a handful. Check out these videos..

One has to know the limits of the car else that could spell disaster. The CGT is not an everyday supercar i guess. Its the thrill of being on the edge is what drives some people to push these things around... and sometimes can be unlucky.

ouch that was one nasty accident. absolutely no point blaming porsche, the driver should be aware there are not driver aids to help him drive.

why did he swerve? just standing on the brakes and praying that you knock some sense into the ferrari driver would have been a better move IMO but then again at 130mph that would have killed 3 people.

in India too ive seen drivers swerve like mad to NOT hit stray dogs and sheep. i personally think running them over is a better solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheap_deal (Post 606932)

in India too ive seen drivers swerve like mad to NOT hit stray dogs and sheep. i personally think running them over is a better solution.

A valid point. Swerving can cause more damage than just running them over.

But depends on what speed you are at and your car's weight right? I mean if the car is light and doing high speeds, hitting something like a sheep ought to unsettle the car.