Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2007, 21:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
Like the chaps in topgear said, what is the significance of Germany's existence if speed limits are implemented
hehe...quite true! Good cars,the Autobahn, Oktoberfest..Welcome to Germany.
Danke!
Old 1st August 2010, 03:22   #17
BHPian

The Roads are being re-laid in most of the Autobahns ,before the winter. Some stretches the speed limit is 80Km/hr now. Just drove back from Munich to Frankfurt.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
The Roads are being re-laid in most of the Autobahns ,before the winter. Some stretches the speed limit is 80Km/hr now. Just drove back from Munich to Frankfurt.
I was stuck on Autobahn 5 near Freiburg when my GPS kept bringing me to the same place where the road was closed for repair. That was one time I remembered the good old maps!
Old 16th May 2013, 14:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The German Autobahn

Just came across this BBC article on the (in)famous German Autobahn. The last place in Europe where you enjoy unrestricted speeds on public road!

It comes under more and more political pressure, but so far, there is still thousands of miles left where you can, legally, put the pedal to the metal!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22538856

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 14:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speed limits on the Autobahn?

German climate proposals could put an end to no-limit Autobahns.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/21/...mit-autobahns/
Old 21st January 2019, 15:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
German climate proposals could put an end to no-limit Autobahns.
]
This one has been in the works for some time, but it looks for the very first time a bit more serious than before. Although to be frank, I am not sure how much reduction in emission the end of no-limit Autobahn will actually give. Not everybody puts the pedal to the metal the minute they hit a stretch of unrestricted Autobahn.

Even on those unrestricted stretched the advisory speed is 130 km/h. Going faster does put you in a somewhat more precarious situation in case of an accident.

Still, I am enjoying it from time to time when I find myself in Germany.

Two weeks ago we were driving home through Germany. Found myself behind a Tesla on a stretch of Autobahn with road works. Doing a steady 80 km/h due to road work speed restrictions. As soon as the road work speed restriction section was passed, the Tesla floored it. So did I.

I am happy to report that a 4.0L Supercharged V8 still out accelerates a Tesla from 80 - 200 km/h by a very large margin!!! Even my wife enjoyed it!

Within seconds I overtook him and let him catch up doing a steady 200 km/h. He finally caught up and got behind me and started flashing his headlights for me to move out of the way. Gave the Jag the beans and within seconds his headlights were just little pins in my rear view mirror. Lifted at 265 km/h on my GPS!

Never saw that Tesla again. No doubt it would out accelerate me from a standstill, but once on the move my old Jaguar still does a stellar job of out accelerating just about anything.

There were no other cars on this particular stretch of Autobahn, just mile after mile straight, magnificent, unrestricted Autobahn. Enjoy it whilst you can and stay safe.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 20:34   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

"No speed restrictions on Auto Bahn" says the German government despite the energy crunch it is facing owing to effects of the Russia-Ukraine war.

Though restricting speed is a sure shot way to save lives, energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, political parties in Germany, including the Greens (who are in power) oppose any such restrictions. The parties in the present three-party coalition, include the environmentalist Greens as well as the libertarian-minded Free Democratic Party. They’ve said, ‘We are the party of drivers and freedom, and we don’t want any state interference.’

A poll conducted by magazine Der Spiegel recently showed that 55% of the respondents want temporary speed curbs with immediate effect, while 39% don't favour it.

Other measures to save energy are getting implemented, like a cap on heating public buildings to just 66 degrees Celsius with no heating allowed at all for most private pools. Starting this month, billboards and other landmarks go dark at 10 p.m.

Quote:

The German Environment Ministry found that if a speed limit of 100 kilometers per hour, about 62 miles per hour, were put in place on the autobahns, with an 80 k.p.h. limit on other roads, Germany’s 48 million automobiles could save 2.1 billion liters of fuel every year.

If drivers actually kept to that speed, 5.4 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions could be saved, about 3 percent of all CO2 emitted from transportation. If drivers kept to a speed limit of 130 k.p.h., or 80 m.p.h. — a more realistic limit — the savings would drop to 1.9 million metric tons, or just above 1 percent of total transportation emissions.

Currently, about 30 percent of the autobahn system has permanent restrictions. Other sections have temporary limits linked to construction work.

In 2020, the A.D.A.C, a nearly 120-year-old automobile club in Germany with more than 20 million members, stopped lobbying against limits. Surveys of their members found that, for the first time in nearly three decades, most were no longer opposed to a limit.
The link:-

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/06/w...ed-limits.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th September 2022 at 20:37.
Old 7th September 2022, 21:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

Other measures to save energy are getting implemented, like a cap on heating public buildings to just 66 degrees Celsius with no heating allowed at all for most priva
Well at “only” 66o Celsius those public servants are not going to be too cold I would think. If anything they will be positively sweltering!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed