Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 04:50   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I guess I am still not making my self clear. Here is the train-of-thought:

M&M have minimal presence in the US, that too not in mainstream autos. Americans kind of feel Japanese and such countries make good products, and India is a Elephant & Snake infested country (believe me, I have had "Do you travel by elephants?" / "Wont the snakes bite you?" kind of question asked by Americans atleast twice in the last one year!) - am not saying all, but a size-able population still feel that way. And now the kind of problems consumers in India face with car-makers in India would result in a different last-word if they exist with car-makers in the USA (We do not have too many recalls here, if at all any!). I hope you get the picture - we have a consumer base that is not as finicky as them. Now for an Indian company of stature like M&M beginning operations there need to be extra-careful because... - i hope i have made myself clearer
I've been living in North America (Canada) for quite a few years and have also been to the US numerous times and never have I come across any such questions. Any American who reads the newspaper and watches TV knows what India is and what goes on there (with all the jobs going to Asia and all). The kind of scenario you mention probably existed 20-30 years ago.

Having said that, some people in America are ignorant about a lot of things and it can trickle down to consumer expectations from a small unknown automaker. But that's a chance everyone has to take. When Hyundai first came to the US, it was the same scenario and look where they are now.

Even the diminutive Yugo (from former Yugoslavia) did sell in decent numbers, although it was a laughing stock amongst many.

And the reason that no automaker offers recalls in India is because of the laws over there. If people bothered to initiate legal action against companies for known manufacturing defects, they'll surely respond.

In the end it's the people not the manufacturers. I mean Hondas are sold at such a high mark up in India and people buy them like hot cakes just because of the badge. So even if there's a recall in a Honda vehicle, why do you think they'd bother?

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 10th July 2008 at 04:53.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:39   #92
BHPian

Folks,
Don't misunderstand my earlier comments. I absolutely with M&M the best of luck with their high stakes entry into North America. No one will be happier than myself if they are successful and show the world that Indian companies can make a world class product. But they do face a very daunting task, and will have to compete with the worlds most successful auto makers.
Regards,
Old 14th July 2008, 12:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

some interesting comments here:

Mahindra Scorpio may offer diesel-electric hybrid when sold in U.S. - AutoblogGreen

Also here: (though the picture in discussion is a mod job done in INDIA by an enthusiast)
Industry News: Mahindra to Build Diesel Pickups For U.S. Sale

With all those goodies in place and scorpio being assembled there, it should be costing at least 10 Lakhs in USA. Its around $24,000 (@ 42/- per $). Where would this Compact SUV priced @ 24K stand in US market, may be a hybrid diesel @ 24K might sound interesting to US market.

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 14th July 2008 at 12:12.
Old 8th June 2012, 20:14   #94
BHPian

Re: US orders 45,000 Scorpios for the first year!

Not Sure if this belongs here.

Mahindra and Mahindra are facing a fraud, misrepresentation and conspiracy lawsuit filed by a bunch of its US dealers on June 4. The law firm representing the dealers has accused M&M of graft where the company is said to be sitting upon the about $9 million dealer fees it collected in 2008 with the promise of delivering cars to the US markets within an year and then wilfuly delaying the certifications for the cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks