Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2008, 06:46   #1
BHPian

Michigan: State driver's license requirements (now fixed)

Anyone traveling to Michigan get your Indian license (even if you don't have an IDP) with you . Read this.

SOS - State driver's license requirements now include permanent legal presence in U.S.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 26th January 2008 at 06:48.
Old 26th January 2008, 08:42   #2
BHPian

They don't want too many outsiders driving in Michigan, do they?
Alternate option, get a Canadian license.
Old 26th January 2008, 09:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Legally & Permanently ! That means no one on a H1 / Student visa in Michigan can get a licence there.

Dont think it will stand. Legally in US, yes. Permanently - I'd love to, just that it isnt so easy.

p.s: @SujayLahiri, you are a legal alien !
Old 26th January 2008, 10:58   #4
BHPian

Yes non-immigrants even if they are legal citizens will not get driving licenses.

Some food for thought...

I spoke to a gentleman on the toll free number and he said I can drive car on my foreign license "as long as it is valid". Now...

1. Wouldn't that make Michigan roads more risky? How can a person with a foreign license start driving in Michigan without understanding the rules, signs etc. & without acquiring basic driving skills?

2. Who will maintain the driving history of people driving based on their foreign licenses and how?

3. How will the insurance companies issue insurance policies? How will they track whether a foreign license holder has effected an accident?

How how how???

4. What happens to people who are already in US and don't have a foreign license?

5. What if my license expires next year. Does that mean I go back to India just to renew my license?

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 26th January 2008 at 11:02.
Old 26th January 2008, 11:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Very good points Rocknrollz. I remember when my cousin visited US on B1, he was driving around the company car using his Indian license for nearly 6 months. He was caught by cops many times for speeding, but they could only fine him, and no points could be given. Therefore, it had no effect on the insurance rates of his car.

Another thing, in many states (not sure about MI) you can't register the car without local driver license.
Old 26th January 2008, 11:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Another thing, in many states (not sure about MI) you can't register the car without local driver license.
Well you can register a car without local DL in MI. (atleast you could do that until last week.)

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 26th January 2008 at 11:49.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is nuts man. Jennifer Granholm has now totally lost her mind. As if there weren't enough people pissed off with her already.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

That's an odd rule. And some very good points by Rocknrollz. US DL's are also very good photo id's - something that you need all the time in the US. Carrying your passport all the time is not safe, and a lot of places don't accept Indian DLs as valid photo id.
Some states like Virginia do not accept Indian DL's at all.. I had to get the VA DL before I could drive there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Well you can register a car without local DL in MI. (atleast you could do that until last week.)
With non-local American DL's I am guessing and not international ones?
Old 26th January 2008, 22:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Granholm is going crazy and so is Teri lynn-land. This is idiotic.
Old 27th January 2008, 00:23   #10
BHPian

I don't see how this can work. There are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of F1/H1/L1 visa folks in Michigan. Unless Michigan declares that foreign drivers licenses are valid in the state, this will not work.

My guess is, this is an underhanded way of getting foreign workers out of the state. Michigan's economy is in a very bad shape with the highest unemployments rates of any US state and they may want foreigner held positions to bo emptied so voting members of michigan's population can have those jobs.

work visas are a federal affair and states are not asked and they have no choice in the matter, but this would be a very effective way to end "legal" immigration to the state.

And if it drives students out of Michigan, thats good too for them because even students at public universities who pay full tuition (many foreign students do not), get an education subsidized by the tax payers of Michigan.

The universities will howl due to the loss of phd students and professors.

It'll be curious to see how this goes.
Old 27th January 2008, 01:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

International driving permit

So, if you are planning a long stay in Michigan you may want to get an International Driving Permit before going. There is a long standing agreement between the United States and India, each recognizing International Driving Permits. These you can get a low cost.

Beware of scams that promise you an international drivers "license". These are con games.

Car Insurance is a MUST in the United States and it is expensive. You can get into a lot of expensive trouble without it. Most states in the U.S. require it. I do not know if you can get insurance in the U.S. on an International Drivers Permit but you can get it here.
Old 27th January 2008, 05:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
With non-local American DL's I am guessing and not international ones?
A colleague of mine registered his camry on Indian driving license issued in Hyderabad. He didn't even have IDP.

If your Indian license is in non-english language then IDP is must. Otherwise even IDP is not mandatory.

I don't have an IDP but I can legally drive.
Old 27th January 2008, 08:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought, from the thread title, that it meant having a lawyer in the car with you at all times!

No; I really did! Would it be that far-fetched for USA?

However, back to earth... it is not that easy for an 'outsider to get a licence in India (in theory, at any rate).

What's more, I am not supposed to keep my UK driving licence without having a 'permanent' address there.
Old 27th January 2008, 09:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rock 'n' rollz : A colleague of mine registered his camry on Indian driving license issued in Hyderabad. He didn't even have IDP.
If your Indian license is in non-english language then IDP is must. Otherwise even IDP is not mandatory.
Are you sure about this ? AFAIK, an Indian licence is valid only in India. A country like USA where they are far more strict about laws, wouldn't accept our licence for anything more than acknowledging that we have had a licence before, and we are aware of driving. An IDP is more legal, but even that has a short shelf life, enough to either get one through his (business) trip, or till one gets his local licence.
Old 27th January 2008, 10:24   #15
BHPian

The reason behind this move is extremely racist and targeted specifically towards illegal Mexicans.

The new law will require every new applicant in front of a DMV clerk proves he/she is a legal citizen/resident. If you're a citizen you'll have no problem. If you're a legal resident you can use your own drivers license - no problem. If you're an illegal your life is made incredibly difficult.

It's a VERY disgraceful decision for Michigan to make.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks