Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 06:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra may buy Jeep

Quote:

India's Mahindra & Mahindra may have lost its bid for Jaguar and Land Rover, but the manufacturer of industrial and agricultural vehicles has its sights set on expansion, and that means teaming up with a larger automaker.

In order to reach the markets that matter, M&M may be looking to forge an alliance with Chrysler LLC. The Indian firm originally began selling Wranglers in its home market and might be interested in taking Jeep off Cerberus' hands. A report in the Economic Times says that "M&M is reportedly in talks with Chrysler for its iconic Jeep brand" although there's no confirmation that Chrysler is looking to offload the brand – yet.

Could Cerberus finally be looking to begin selling off parts of the Chrysler trifecta as many industry analysts have predicted? It certainly isn't out of the question considering the private equity firm's history. And where does the upcoming M&M Appalachian diesel pickup fit into this equation? The Indian automaker is adamant that it will begin selling its own diesel pickup in the U.S. next year, as well as a diesel hybrid version one year later. If this somewhat far fetched rumor of Jeep being sold to M&M turns out to be true, perhaps we'll see Jeep-branded diesel pickups in the U.S. before the decade is done.

[Source: Economic Times]
Chrysler supposedly in talks with M&M to sell Jeep brand - Autoblog

WOW Looks like we are slowly taking over the world.

Last edited by khanak : 12th February 2008 at 07:00.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

that would be a welcome thing to happen as far as indian manufacturer is concerned.jeep + mahindra was phenominal in india and they need not do much to drive that down the minds here.what we might get is more upmarket JEEPS.hope for the best.
ram
Old 12th February 2008, 10:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a reversal of roles! From building Jeeps under licence to owning the legendary brand altogether. Go Mahindra....leave the cheap sedans to someone else.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

WoW! If things work out, we can see Hollywood movie chases in Mahindra jeeps!!!!
Old 12th February 2008, 10:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

we will own the world's brands just that we'll be indebted to the world as well. funny stakes eh? conquer the world at the cost of losing your independence?
Old 12th February 2008, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great news. Hope it is true & does happen one day.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Super news. First it was Tatas taking over Jaguar and Land Rover and now M&M will be taking over Jeep. Don't know what is next. Way to go India. Chak de.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Don't know what is next.
TAFE taking over Ford, Premier taking over Ferrari, Standard Motors taking over General Motors and so on.....
Old 12th February 2008, 11:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
TAFE taking over Ford, Premier taking over Ferrari, Standard Motors taking over General Motors and so on.....
I dont think "Standard Motors " exists now :-(

I know it is OT but there is a big SEZ coming up in the place where the Standarad Motors factory used to be.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Standard motors complex was sold for 90 crores. There is some Sriram city coming up there.

But Jeep being bought over by Mahindra.. wow! I guess we are just at the right place at the right time. With LR and Jeep becoming "indian" I hope they atleast get produced for the Indians. Reduce the duty et al, and sell them here... some off-roading coming up.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
: Are you kinda joking, man. Ummm...let me see, I'am very optimistic and it might be possible in near feature. . But standard motors is already sold LOL.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

what it tata acquired mercedes benz
Old 12th February 2008, 15:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

This discussion reminds me of a scene from gone in 60 seconds where a crane just smashes through the wall and hits the jeep. The cop then asks the other cop, "are your alright? You just went through a wall".

Same scene in the future:

Arre bhai, Cop kidhar hai? Bola tha Darwaaze waali Jeep lo!

Jokes Apart, It would be good if Mahindra Takes over Jeep. It'll give them a significant reach in Aus/US and other Latin American Countries where it has either little or no presence.

That brings me to the topic of we making fun of Mahindra. I don't see that happening in the Tata JLR thread.
Old 12th February 2008, 16:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow! If this news is indeed true, then you're looking at Jeep, LandRover and Jaguar being owned by Indian companies.

There was an article in the 'CFO' magazine recently about this 'Indian Invasion' - the chap actually wrote "Today, Indian managers seem to have the mindset that they can take over and run anything".

I hope it works out!
Old 12th February 2008, 16:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

amtak forget about US market we in india wont have to modify our jeeps here to look like rubicon and all we can actually buy them

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks