Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2005, 12:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

holy **** ...
this is bad ...
well so much for hondas safety features ..
but then again , that guy must have been going real fast ...
remind me never to rip in an accord again
Old 20th January 2005, 13:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Really scary pics and one of the most horriffic I have seen . The other ones were the Ikon seaface acccident and th3 355 accident.

If Dianas S Class "the safest car in th world" couldnt survice or save Diana , this is a Honda Accord and well overall Japanese cars dont have tank like build quality.

Dippy
It could have saved her if she wore a seat belt - the body guard in front survived !
Old 20th January 2005, 14:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

The main prob lies in the way cars are tested. Most safety ratings are carried out on cars travelling at 35-45mph. I don't think there's any safety test that tests road cars at say 160-200kmph.

So if you're doing 160+ even in a S class, you can't be 100% sure about your safety. Safety ratings work best when cars are driven at sane speeds. Cross that and you're asking for trouble, irrespective of how safe your car is.

We saw what happened to the Ikon at around 120-130kmph, Diana's Merc was at around 75-80mph when it entered the tunnel. We'll have to see how fast the Accord was when this happened.

Shan2nu
Old 20th January 2005, 14:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the word here is momentum. The laws of physics still can't be bent by the best of technologies employed. Nature has its own way of getting at you.

The way the accident has been described seems to suggest that the driver was doing insane speeds, the car split cuz it hit the pole at such high speed and with so many forces acting on it (gravitational, kinetic etc..) that it was bound to happen.

Honda is being polite in apologising cuz China matters to them more today than most other markets since they haven't yet made major inroads into the country. After all, such an accident can act as bad publicity in a country where a few hundred thousand units worth of sales can be lost cuz of such incidents.

Revv
Old 20th January 2005, 15:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how the car split into 3 pieces its really very scary accident. Honda should take this accident as example and work on it seriously.
Old 20th January 2005, 22:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

This story was seen by me at cforums.net. You can read through it here.
Go through the entire discussion. Somewhere down someone has posted a link to pictures of a crashed Audi A3. Do take a look at it. The pics are as scary and shocking as the Accord ones.
Moral of the Story is that Every car will split into pieces if you drive it over the limits for which it was designed. The only way to save yourself is to know the limits of your car and drive carefully. You can drive fast but still be carefull. Of course, in India, you have to drive slow to remain alive!
Old 20th January 2005, 22:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

I guess its only two pieces, except the rear bumper
Old 20th January 2005, 23:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

MY GOSH!!!!! that Audi A3 accident is much worse!!! I can hardly imagine the speed and the last thoughts of the two men in that car. VERY VERY SCARY!

Last edited by Gordon : 20th January 2005 at 23:07.
Old 20th January 2005, 23:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Woo, Crazy accident and the Audi accident is just unbelievable! the whole car has been split into god knows how many sections by the impact alone! Just goes to show that no matter how safe the cars are, the safety of the occupants is ultimately in the hands of the driver!!
Old 20th January 2005, 23:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Guys, the word here is momentum. The laws of physics still can't be bent by the best of technologies employed. Nature has its own way of getting at you.

The way the accident has been described seems to suggest that the driver was doing insane speeds, the car split cuz it hit the pole at such high speed and with so many forces acting on it (gravitational, kinetic etc..) that it was bound to happen.

Honda is being polite in apologising cuz China matters to them more today than most other markets since they haven't yet made major inroads into the country. After all, such an accident can act as bad publicity in a country where a few hundred thousand units worth of sales can be lost cuz of such incidents.

Revv
I agree with you that there are certain factors which can cause such things, even after all the necesary precaution is taken. BUT, if it was such a case, then Honda wouldn't be planning on recalling all Accords sold in China as the link said, which just goes to show that there must be some kindof technical flaw or such in the basic design/construction of the car.
Old 21st January 2005, 00:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

guys ,
its sad that this accident had to blamed on a dog.but it seems that this accord was going at very high speeds on this narrow road.
the road is so narrow for very highspeeds,so this shows that the driver was at fault.i dont understand as to why does Honda has to apologise for someone else's blunder.

hehe,if this had to happen with indian car makers,then they wud have to have start a separate apology division with this division having a 24x7 twork timing.

the audi accident is more deadly

Old 21st January 2005, 09:17   #27
Team-BHP Support

speedo is stuck at 100 mph ?
Old 21st January 2005, 09:22   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
speedo is stuck at 100 mph ?
He certainly was not checking out the countryside
Old 21st January 2005, 14:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

This Audi accident is even more horrible, can't imagine about the passengers.
Old 22nd January 2005, 01:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

i think Diana's car hit the tunnel at more than 160kmph(nearly 100mph).Secondly i think the accord split into 2 because it must have hit a road divider(were it starts after the u turn,we have many on the NH8).what do u think,what must it have Hit?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks