Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 08:25   #16
BHPian

Adaptive (called active by BMW)cruise control is not really about preventing crashes- unless you are some one who to sleeps behind the wheels.Helps only when you are on a highway/freeway using cruise control-to slowdown if there is a slower vehicle infront of you without braking and more importandly speed back up to your cruise speed (you dont have to accelerate and switch cruise control buttons again).Its not ideal for use in city traffic.
Old 20th February 2008, 11:40   #17
BHPian

Well the 2 Wheeler will just go missing and after a brief thud, the BMW will continue on at it's cruise speed.
Old 20th February 2008, 16:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Bimster, I guess you are absolutely right.

Cruise control is about open-road driving, not city driving, and this is just a refinement of cruise control.
Old 20th February 2008, 17:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
Well the 2 Wheeler will just go missing and after a brief thud, the BMW will continue on at it's cruise speed.
Good one. Not to forget that BMW will automatically increase the cruise speed so angry villagers will not be able catch the driver and bash him up.
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:12   #20
BHPian

Nice job BMW! I'm a admirer of Cruise Control. Great boon. But yes its only for the open road and will reduce speed to a small extent and not for sudden braking. It could get choked in India (if it offered sudden braking) on the the Highways we have here LOL!

cya
A
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:50   #21
BHPian

if the cruise control manages to come to India i hope our drivers will not rely on the system itself to do the driving. and in case of a accident certainly not telling the police guy, " hamara galti nahi tha, wo to system nahi chala."

however sounds like a very interesting development.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though I don't speak any Hindi (?) I can imagine...

Cruise control is great, especially combined with a powerful engine and an automatic gearbox --- but it can contribute to the soporific effect of a long drive.
Old 25th February 2008, 08:28   #23
BHPian

I guess if such an incident comes to the fore then cops will ban Cruise Control.
Old 25th February 2008, 10:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

As someone said, this is old stuff found on Merc S class.. Remember Jeremy Clarkson doing a demo of this on the UK highways.

Here's another reason why it wont work in India - How would the system react when the radar picks up oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the highway (very common even on the best of tolled 6 lane Indian highways).. Will it brake and start reversing ?

Last edited by spadival : 25th February 2008 at 10:19.
Old 25th February 2008, 10:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The system breaks the car even when someone veers across three lanes to cut you off.
this can be dangerous. there are times when one would rather risk hitting (short bump) than try to brake (at all).

cruise control is all fine. It's ok even if it goes in coasting. but don't touch my brakes.

PS: noticed after posting it. did they say "break"? break the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks