Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 12:17   #46
BHPian

Neat info; but i'd suggest just linking to the site, instead of reproducing the content here.
Old 6th May 2008, 22:24   #47
BHPian

history of car logos

friends i found an interesting post about the history of car logos & names do check out all u auto crazies & reply 2 get more of it
here is some information about fiat

Fiat, then named Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italian Automobile Factory of Turin), was founded in 1899.

Supposedly, the famous Fiat "scrabble tiles" logo of the 1960s was designed by the company’s Chief Designer who was driving past the Fiat factory during a power outage and saw an outline of the factory’s neon sign against the dark sky
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:06   #48

[quote=turbolader;51646]

3)BMW(Bayerische Motoren Werke)

The BMW roundel is a stylised,rotating airscrew-the blue representing the sky.BMW built military aero engines for the planes that bombed the factories that they now own.

The emblem does not represent a stylised, rotating airscrew though BMW itself spread this thought. They have come back and said that it is actually signifying the bavarian flag which is white and Blue checkered.

To quote from wikipedia,
"The circular blue and white BMW logo or roundel is often alleged to portray the movement of an airplane propeller, to signify the white blades cutting through the blue sky. An interpretation that BMW adopted for convenience in 1929, which was actually twelve years after the roundel was created. In fact, the emblem evolved from the circular Rapp Motorenwerke company logo, from which the BMW company grew. The Rapp logo was combined with the blue and white colors of the flag of Bavaria to produce the BMW roundel so familiar today."

cheers.
Old 24th June 2009, 21:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

logos test - guessing game

In the attached excel there are lots of logo to which you need to guess the correct name. It is good for a time pass in office and at times keeps you guessing.

try it out!

i have guessed 88 correct logos and still have 42 left.

logos-test.xls
Old 25th June 2009, 10:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

I got 102 correct. Knew most of the remaining logo companies as well. Logos like Reliance ADAG, Maruti, Shringaar, Indian Post etc. However, it didnt accept the names!
Old 25th June 2009, 10:52   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I got 102 correct. Knew most of the remaining logo companies as well. Logos like Reliance ADAG, Maruti, Shringaar, Indian Post etc. However, it didnt accept the names!
+1 on the sheet not accepting any of the correctly spelt or full company names.

In fact, for 25 (Maruti), I tried all possible stunts and finally ended up spelling it as MARUTHI instead of the actual MARUTI and voila!!! It accepted. I tried this since the creator names of the sheet resembled south Indian names (I am born and brought up in south as well) and there is every possibility of using the letter "H" wherever it can be.

No intended offence to anyone otherwise.

I agree for ADAG and Indian Posts as well. Wondering what the creator would've slept them as? Hindustan Post Service (?)
Old 4th February 2010, 13:16   #52
BHPian

The hidden meaning of logos?

Guys,

We have products, we have brands and for the brands we have logos.
Let share our knowledge about logos. Lets discuss what is the meaning of the logo and how it is related to the brand.

Lets not restrict ourself to automobile logos. It can be any products brand logo.

Below is the logo of Hyundai.
Evolution of Car Manufacturer's Logos-hyundai.jpeg
Watch closely, it look looks like 2 people are shaking both hands with each other. Which the hyundai says is the company and the customer.

Guys, Proceed and share your information about the amazing world of LOGOs.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:23   #53
BHPian

Was told by someone that the Adidas logo (three stripes, sometimes with the length increasing from left to right) represents a mountain and the effort to go up or improve.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:21   #54
BHPian

[quote=brijwhiz;1114485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolader View Post

3)BMW(Bayerische Motoren Werke)

The BMW roundel is a stylised,rotating airscrew-the blue representing the sky.BMW built military aero engines for the planes that bombed the factories that they now own.

The emblem does not represent a stylised, rotating airscrew though BMW itself spread this thought. They have come back and said that it is actually signifying the bavarian flag which is white and Blue checkered.

To quote from wikipedia,
"The circular blue and white BMW logo or roundel is often alleged to portray the movement of an airplane propeller, to signify the white blades cutting through the blue sky. An interpretation that BMW adopted for convenience in 1929, which was actually twelve years after the roundel was created. In fact, the emblem evolved from the circular Rapp Motorenwerke company logo, from which the BMW company grew. The Rapp logo was combined with the blue and white colors of the flag of Bavaria to produce the BMW roundel so familiar today."

cheers.
Proving the point above. Further text on Wikipedia
Quote:
However, the origin of the logo being based on the movement of a propeller is in dispute, according to an article recently posted by the New York times, quoting "At the BMW Museum in Munich, Anne Schmidt-Possiwal, explained that the blue-and-white company logo did not represent a spinning propeller, but was meant to show the colors of the Free State of Bavaria
To someone else's question, 'Bayerische' is the local name for Bavaria, i.e. the German State, hence the name. The English is just a translation.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Wow very nice piece of information turbo . Enjoyed it. And aI know most of you must be knowing this , but here is something about my favourite brand :Lamborghini. Each lamborghini is named after a famous bull.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:30   #56
BHPian

BMW Logo

Actually both the blue sky & propellor story and the blue and white Bayern flag story are both true

Bayerische means Bavarian, the actual states name in Deutsch is Freistaat Bayern, which translates in English to the Free State of Bavaria.

Got the below story during my visit to the BMW Factory in Munich, when I was studying in Ingolstadt.

the abbreviation BMW stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke which in english is Bavarian Motor Works (or factory)

they originally made only aircraft engines.

the logo has its origins in WW1, the Bayerische Luftwaffe (Bavarian Airforce) flew its planes painted in sky blue and white (similar to the sky blue and white diamonds in the bavarian flag) with BMW propellor engines. According to the pilots the propellor gave them a view of blue and white in front of them. This inspired the stylized design.

attached a image which I found a long time back on the net somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Evolution of Car Manufacturer's Logos-bmw_logo.jpg  

Old 4th February 2010, 16:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajagopal_j View Post
Actually both the blue sky & propellor story and the blue and white Bayern flag story are both true

Bayerische means Bavarian, the actual states name in Deutsch is Freistaat Bayern, which translates in English to the Free State of Bavaria.

Got the below story during my visit to the BMW Factory in Munich, when I was studying in Ingolstadt.

the abbreviation BMW stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke which in english is Bavarian Motor Works (or factory)

they originally made only aircraft engines.

the logo has its origins in WW1, the Bayerische Luftwaffe (Bavarian Airforce) flew its planes painted in sky blue and white (similar to the sky blue and white diamonds in the bavarian flag) with BMW propellor engines. According to the pilots the propellor gave them a view of blue and white in front of them. This inspired the stylized design.

attached a image which I found a long time back on the net somewhere.
This should clarify
BMW Roundel: Not Born From Planes - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

Even the company thought is was the propeller but it is not.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:57   #58
BHPian

Thanks for the info turbolader. Very thoughtful thread.
Old 7th February 2010, 23:33   #59
BHPian

Great thread, a truly engaging read.

I always thought that the Volvo logo was chauvinistic as the symbol of a circle with an arrow offset to the right also means male.

Also with all the questions on BMW I always believed that it was a tribute to the BMW factory having made planes during WW2. I believe the same is mentioned in the BMW museum in Munchen.
Old 5th October 2010, 04:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Here is a new article on some of these logos

True Stories Behind Car Company Logos

Most Viewed