Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 21:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about you guys, but if Hyundai made this, a lot of people would be lining up to buy it:

http://carblog.com.ua/pic/2007/05/hyundai-tiburon1.jpg
Old 6th March 2008, 21:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
I dont know about you guys, but if Hyundai made this, a lot of people would be lining up to buy it:

http://carblog.com.ua/pic/2007/05/hyundai-tiburon1.jpg
Couldn't agree more. Minus that horrid grille, it looks really good. I hear the next Tiburon is RWD, too.
Old 6th March 2008, 22:00   #18
BHPian

The grille on the Tiburon is Hyundai's new face i think. Its similar to the i10.

Personally i just loved the way the Genesis concept looks & also like most hyundai cars even if they are copies.
Old 6th March 2008, 22:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero View Post
Couldn't agree more. Minus that horrid grille, it looks really good. I hear the next Tiburon is RWD, too.
I think Hyundai would continue the Tiburon and make a Genesis RWD coupe based on RWD sedan. Outside US, Genesis is a luxury Marque from Hyundai, so it makes sense that they have two seperate cars. In the US though Genesis is just another high end offering from Hyundai stable.
Btw, heard that base version of Genesis coupe will get a V6 while top of the line will have a 390 hp V8!!

I am signing up for the V6.
Old 7th March 2008, 14:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Some months back, the WSJ had an article on Genesis which is here:

The Driver's Seat - WSJ.com
Old 7th March 2008, 22:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Whats interesting is that the final product has been toned down from the concept, probably to gain acceptance from a wider audience. This has worked for Toyota and Honda, but now even they seem to be going the bold route.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yet another luxury sedan with all design clones. Front reminds me of Merc and back of the Jaguar! Waiting for Hyundai designers to use their own ideas!
Old 10th March 2008, 17:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Because many American consumers confuse Hyundai as Korean translation for Yugo (remember that), Hyundai launched the Genesis without the Hyundai logo.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Hyundai launched the Genesis without the Hyundai logo.
Eh! does it mean Americans would call it a car without any genes? oh wait, Its got genes of so many cars. They should have called it the Mutant!
Old 10th March 2008, 17:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Looks more like the previous Infiniti which was based on Maxima. The specifications look great. Atleast they are coming out with new variations (unlike Acura which doesn't seem to wakeup from their dreams)

yes the rear end looks like the I 30 or 35 from the infiniti.
Old 11th March 2008, 03:24   #26
BHPian

I must say that Hyundai has earned a lot of respect from me after they launched the Genesis concept. Talk about value for money (and rear wheel drive).
Also their latest generation Sonata is a fantastic car to drive, with the VVT and the excellent steering.
Old 20th March 2008, 15:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Last week, Business Week had an interesting article about Hyundai/Kia. Kia last month fired its CEO. Hyundai had become famous for firing a CEO in 2005 in the middle of a dinner:

My Way or the Highway at Hyundai
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has recently announced US pricing for its all new Genesis flagship sedan. The base price for the 3.8L, 90-hp V6 model will be $33,000 and the 4.6-liter, 375-hp V8 model will start at $38,000. Both prices include a $750 shipping charge. Standard safety equipment includes electronic stability control, eight air bags, and active head restraints. The Genesis will arrive at US dealerships in 7/2008.

The Genesis is Hyundai‘s first entry into the rear-wheel-drive luxury sedan category, and it is equipped to compete with more expensive models from Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, and Mercedes-Benz.
Old 17th July 2008, 18:38   #29
BHPian

Check out this link:
2009 Hyundai Genesis vs. Mercedes E-class
They pitted the 2009 Genesis against the E550 and found the Korean to impress.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Check out this link:
2009 Hyundai Genesis vs. Mercedes E-class
They pitted the 2009 Genesis against the E550 and found the Korean to impress.
Take mag reviews with a bucket of salt. Of course, Genesis may be good or better than Merc, BMW, and Lexus. In fact, Hyundai is running ads full of features that seem to be better than all 3. It is like ticking all the right boxe, except for the one box that is extremely important in this segment. That box takes a long time to fill. Read this:

The Driver's Seat - WSJ.com

Although the article talks about the Veracruz, it applies to Hyundai's entry into the luxury car space. It says (this is Wsj's opinion and may/may not be fact):

`Hyundai has once again closely studied the specifications of its competition and effectively matched them, while identifying a few areas where it could excel. If you're the type who values a line-by-line spreadsheet comparison more than a test drive, you'll likely find the Veracruz more impressive than I did. Anyone who falls for Hyundai's public-relations claim that the Veracruz is every bit the vehicle that the Lexus RX350 is, but for $11,000 less, has likely not driven the Lexus.

While this type of imitation has long been enough for Hyundai to conquer sales from more established proletarian brands, it's going to take a lot more to establish a bulwark in the luxury field. Perhaps it's unfair to accuse Hyundai of breaking no ground with the Veracruz, but that's exactly what the car maker needs to do to supplant its "cheap car" image'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks