Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 11:12   #31
HPP
BHPian

I've seen a few of these on the streets the last couple weeks, they look VERY nice in person.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Recently the WSJ posted its review of Hyundai Genesis.

It praised the Genesis as having all that a luxury car buyer wants and at a substantial discount to Lexus, Merc, BMW, etc. However, it concludes:

`Hyundai has certainly cracked the code of the $50,000 luxury sedan, showing that by its accounting Lexus owners are paying fifteen grand or more just for that badge on the hood. As much as I enjoy the way this sends up the entire class of hubristic luxury sedans, the fact remains that these cars are immensely popular precisely because they are symbols of money, power and success. The people who buy them aren't likely to spend their year-end bonuses on a Hyundai any more than they might order Folgers Crystals after an important business lunch, no matter how good the car or cup might be'.
The Driver's Seat - WSJ.com
Old 29th August 2008, 14:43   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Genesis continues to receive good reviews not only from journalists, but from regular Tom's & Joe's too. I am impressed. Think about it:

- V6 / V8 @ 375 BHP. 0 - 60 mph in 5.7 seconds
- RWD
- Appealing design
- Luxurious interiors
- Great ride quality
- Acceptable handling
- Better-than-Euro reliability
- Value driven price.

What's not to like? Yup, only the badge (Think Lexus, Acura & Infiniti). And that front-end that screams "cheaper Mercedes"!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Genesis 'Sedan' - A Clone of all cars you can think of-112_0808_02z2009_hyundai_genesisfront_static.jpg  

Old 29th August 2008, 16:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

I could live with it. In India, I could definitely live with it. If only they priced these at American levels here in India, and not an exorbitant 25 lakhs-ish for a Hyundai.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:27   #35
BHPian

Looks good

I'll buy it and will attach a Mercedes emblem on bonnet. Then people can't figure out that I'm not riding a Mercedes

The car looks stunning! Hyundai has always got popularity because of their "value of money" image.

According to
Hyundai Genesis not going to Europe - Top Speed

The Genesis luxury sedan launched in January at the Detroit Auto Show is something the Europeans will not enjoy. The Korean carmaker says the failure of Toyota’s Lexus premium brand to sell cars in high numbers in Europe is one reason for the decision. "We looked at Lexus’ track record in Europe," said Hyundai spokesman Oles Gadacz.

Now that's rather interesting! I never knew Lexus "failed" at Europe!!!

Last edited by sbasak : 29th August 2008 at 16:33.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Genesis continues to receive good reviews not only from journalists, but from regular Tom's & Joe's too. I am impressed. Think about it:

- V6 / V8 @ 375 BHP. 0 - 60 mph in 5.7 seconds
- RWD
- Appealing design
- Luxurious interiors
- Great ride quality
- Acceptable handling
- Better-than-Euro reliability
- Value driven price.
If im not mistaken, this car also has a 5 star safety rating.
I've never cared about badges too much, this car would be impressive no matter who made it.
You gotta give it up for Hyundai
Old 29th August 2008, 17:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes or BMW or an Audi arent just manufacturers, they are an institution and to take them on you have to be atleast 10 times better. The Hyundai isnt even on par.

Besides I would like my prestige car to be an amalgmation of designs from other cars. In the rarified luxury segment, just value for money wont do.
Old 30th August 2008, 12:05   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Mercedes or BMW or an Audi arent just manufacturers, they are an institution and to take them on you have to be atleast 10 times better. The Hyundai isnt even on par.

Besides I would like my prestige car to be an amalgmation of designs from other cars. In the rarified luxury segment, just value for money wont do.
Famous last words, extreme torque. This was the exactly the sentiment when a nobody like Lexus entered the luxo market 20 years back. Look at earlier pictures of the Lexus LS and the Merc inspirations are obvious. They did go on to become the best-selling luxury brand in the States nevertheless.

Hyundai is not going to cut it with the same brand. They need a "genesis".
Old 9th February 2009, 07:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
In fact, Hyundai is running ads full of features that seem to be better than all 3.
Guys, being in US now briefly, last Sunday I watched the superbowl(AFL)finals on TV.(The superbowl final is probably the biggest sporting event in US and attracts massive television audiences)
I understood that they also have a novel concept that new ads get launched on TV on this day, and an award goes to the best one as judged by the panel.

The hyundai ad was simply unbelieavable(it didn't get the award though). It shows the Jap and German car makers getting rattled on hearing that 'Hyundai is the North American Car of the year'. And don't miss the punchline. This is naked aggression.
Watch it here -

Clone or no Clone - Hyundai has made progress in leaps and bounds in the last few years. My conversation with my american friends tells me about the changing perceptions of the Hyundai brand image.

Last edited by sridharps : 9th February 2009 at 07:48.
Old 9th February 2009, 11:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Another thread to bash Hyundai?

I thought they sold well in US and India
Hyundai sells predominantly globally because of lower price points. In india it owes its success mainly because people wanted a change from Maruti (in similar price points) and also to a extent because its cars were decent in build and ride quality. A.S.S was not bad too - earlier IMHO

In the US a average working guy/gal would be caught dead driving a hyundai. The accent/verna (here) sells there mainly to the student community and 2nd hand corollas & hyundai accnets rule the market there. In louisiana new orleans i saw 1 out of every 10 cars to be an accent - thats a lot actually.

But i don't think hyundai aping other designs would cater successfully to the luxury segment. On ewho buys a luxury car will pull through with say 11,000 USD more to get a merc or more.

No one wants to be a wannabe..........at least in the US.

India - however its altogether a different ball game. The lalas and sethji's wont really care. Its a car - is a big car - its branded as a luxury car. It might do well. Lets keep our finger crossed.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:32   #41
BHPian

Thats a kickass video there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks